Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Oppo Digital
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am 

I use an Oppo 105 for DVD and an Esoteric K-05X for SACD/CD. But I also use the Esoteric for processing the audio from the Oppo when watching movies or concerts. This is how I do it. I run the coaxial digital out of the Oppo to the digital coax in on the Esoteric using a top quality digital coaxial silver cable. In the setup menu of the Oppo, I turn off the HDMI audio out so only the digital signal is fed to the Esoteric, while the video is fed to my TV as usual through my regular HDMI cable.

I set the Esoteric to digital coax in, which sends the signal to my pre and power amps for output to my speakers. There are several clear advantages to this arrangement. The Esoteric has 8 upsampling settings and 4 filter settings for audio which can be adjusted as desired for the sound of the DVD playing. The Oppo has a time alignment setting so the sound can be synchronized to the video if necessary. When watching concert videos, for example, the beauty of this arrangement is that the Oppo only has to put out a digital signal and does not have to process and deliver sound through its analog circuitry. The Esoteric only has to process the incoming digital signal and does not have to spin a disc. As a result, BOTH the Oppo and the Esoteric run cooler and the sound is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:12 pm 

I also have an Oppo 95 that I use as a transport to feed my Calyx Femto dac using a silver digital coax cable. I could upgrade to a better transport but I usually listen to flac files using my Bryston bdp-2. The Oppo is playing a cd right now that I haven't got around to ripping yet (Yellowjackets), sounds pretty good to me. Plus I can play SACD with the Oppo which the Calyx Femto dac can't. And of course Blu Ray and DVD. It is hard to beat the versatility of an Oppo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 pm 

I have a 105. I use it as my video hub (cable box, bluray/DVD, USB connected drive) and for Tidal streaming. For that it sounds and looks good and is I think a great value. It does not to my ears perform as well on Redbook as my old Linn Ikemi or Copland 289 CD players. I would gladly buy Oppo again for a media hub and as a budget streamer/dac though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:02 pm 

I was going to post brilliant, absolute cranium expanding insight concerning the OPPO and the OP

..Than I saw Albert's hypnotic gif, and well - I forgot what we were talking about ..

:lol:

I'm certain this could possibly to loaded to distract others to gain an edge in the topic !

What were we discussing ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:23 pm 

Hey, you discovered my secret weapon! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:35 pm 

Is that you in the gif ? :wink:

Well, east coast late night (early morning).Time to turn in,

Night

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:06 am 

pharsyde wrote:
I was going to post brilliant, absolute cranium expanding insight concerning the OPPO and the OP

..Than I saw Albert's hypnotic gif, and well - I forgot what we were talking about ..

:lol:

I'm certain this could possibly to loaded to distract others to gain an edge in the topic !

What were we discussing ?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:16 am 

naimkid wrote:
I have an opp to buy a Esoteric DV 50S, at a very reasonable price.

Does anyone here has any experience with that player?

I am wondering how does it sound compare to other cd players, I am talking about two channel audio only.

I have an Esoteric DV-50S that I use for 2-channel audio only. Beautiful machine.

It replaced a Sony DVP-S9000ES, which was a stellar performer but it was easily bested by the DV-50S.

I've listened to Redbook CD via the Esoteric's internal DAC versus coax out to a (modded) Gustard x20Pro DAC. The Gustard plays back at a higher level so it's a tough call to determine which is better. I call it a draw. Considering the DV-50S' DAC is now 14 years old, it holds up remarkably well against the newer Gustard.

SACD sounds very, very good, and is really where the DV-50S shines.

How much is the seller asking for it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
naimkid wrote:
I have an opp to buy a Esoteric DV 50S, at a very reasonable price.

Does anyone here has any experience with that player?

I am wondering how does it sound compare to other cd players, I am talking about two channel audio only.

I have an Esoteric DV-50S that I use for 2-channel audio only. Beautiful machine.

It replaced a Sony DVP-S9000ES, which was a stellar performer but it was easily bested by the DV-50S.

I've listened to Redbook CD via the Esoteric's internal DAC versus coax out to a (modded) Gustard x20Pro DAC. The Gustard plays back at a higher level so it's a tough call to determine which is better. I call it a draw. Considering the DV-50S' DAC is now 14 years old, it holds up remarkably well against the newer Gustard.

SACD sounds very, very good, and is really where the DV-50S shines.

How much is the seller asking for it?

PM sent. check your inbox.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:37 pm 

I am considering adding the 205 to my home theater.

Can anyone comment on the headphone output? I watch movies late at night, and I am wondering how well the 205 decodes the hi-def audio streams on blu-ray and 4K discs and converts them to 2 channel audio for headphones.

Thanks in advance.