Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oppo Digital
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:14 pm 

I am writing to find out which is the best Oppo, as far as sound quality goes. I have seen many up for sale, 95, 103. 105, 83 etc.

I need your suggestion as to which is the best for two channel audio only.

A well reputed dealer suggested to keep CD player separate and buy DVD for movies only as he feels, mixing audio and video would not generate best results as far as audio is concerned.

I would really appreciate your input on this please.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Post subject: Re: Oppo Digital
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm 

Well Naimkid

I think it is in your Naim. :)

I have the Oppo bdp-95. Which is the one of that generation for audio like the 105 or 205.

I find my Karik Numerik much better for two channel. Oppo is good for video as a Swiss Army knife mediocre for audio.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm 

I have a Cambridge Audio CXU which is supposed to be at least the equal of the 105 D for two channel Audio ( the direct comparisons I've read have actually preferred it ). It does sound quite good but my Supernova CD player flat out smokes it for SQ.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm 

I have an 83. With my Krell Showcase pre/pro the 83 onboard DAC leaves something to be desired for 2ch audio and surround sound. My Arcam DV29 kills it for 2ch.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 pm 

If you really want to kick butt, get the Oppo BDP-105 Tube Mods from ModWright, you send them the Oppo BDP-105 and they do some brilliant mods, there are used ones for sale now as the newer higher end Oppo's are out and about... the mods kick the sound up a whole new level...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm 

I recently purchased, then sold a 105. Never tested the video, cd didn't impress me but found the dac to my liking. I purchased the Sonica dac instead and feed it with a baseline Sony blueray player with a preferred result over the 105. The Sonica offers more features for my liking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:10 pm 

Modwright also does an incredible mod on the Sonica...you the reviews are brilliant!!.... as reviews go..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:20 pm 
Premium User

The Sonica is swiss army knife like volleyguy1 said about the 205 & 105. It sounds pretty good for 2 channel use if you can live with the clinical sound or match it up with the right gear. I bet the Modwright mods Tutone mentioned take all of the weaknesses out of it. For $2495 USD you might end up with a super DAC http://www.modwright.com/modifications/ ... cation.php

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:32 pm 

I Thank you all for you inputs.

I have an opp to buy a Esoteric DV 50S, at a very reasonable price.

Does anyone here has any experience with that player?

I am wondering how does it sound compare to other cd players, I am talking about two channel audio only.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:27 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
I have a Cambridge Audio CXU which is supposed to be at least the equal of the 105 D for two channel Audio ( the direct comparisons I've read have actually preferred it ). It does sound quite good but my Supernova CD player flat out smokes it for SQ.

I would expect a CD player of the Super Nova's calibre to smoke almost anything.
I have a CXU on the way from Quebec but don't expect much if any improvement over my Denon 3930.
But that doesn't matter, I'll eventually be using it to feed a Bryston DAC.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:57 am 

naimkid wrote:
I am writing to find out which is the best Oppo, as far as sound quality goes. I have seen many up for sale, 95, 103. 105, 83 etc.

A well reputed dealer suggested to keep CD player separate and buy DVD for movies only as he feels, mixing audio and video would not generate best results as far as audio is concerned.

I would really appreciate your input on this please.

I tend to agree with the dealer, but my Oppo BDP-95 was very close to my Simaudio Moon Nova. If you aren't a CD fanatic, it was certainly good enough. If you are, I would go with a dedicated CD player and something like a Sony for the Blu-rays etc. You can get some pretty nice CD players for what is asked for a used Oppo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:38 am 

I have a DV50S and a 105. They sound different but both exceptionally fine. I use the 105 way more because, unlike the Esoteric, it has an input to its DAC and I have a lot of music on an external drive. I use JRiver for that. Can I answer any specific questions?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:12 am 

naimkid wrote:

Of the 4 Oppo models you listed, 105 sounded the best, if you have a huge CD collection and no SACD, a CD only player is better. If you plan to rip your CD collection to files and/or download Hi-Res music files - 24bit_/88/96/176/192 or DSD 64/128 in the near future, then Oppo may be a better choice, Oppo can play music files through USB/Ethernet connection, you can also use a better transport to connect to 105's built in DAC as necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:19 am 

I currently have an Oppo 83 (w/ the official SE mod.), an Esoteric K-03 and a Denon DVD-A1UDCI, and have compared them side by side out of curiosity in the same system. I have also compared my 83 with a Marantz SA-7S1 and SA-14v1 that I had, and also a couple of CD transports/players plus DACs combinations (e.g. Micromega Duo CD & Musical Fidelity Tri-vista, etc) that have come and gone. A friend of mine used to have an Oppo 95 which I have listened to several times and have demo'ed the Esoteric DV-50s a couple of times when it was new. Based on my experience the stock Oppo 83SE (or the 95 from my memory), while it is livelier than the Marantz SACD/CD players, is no match to the others that I have mentioned. I won't get into the details but one thing is for certain - don't get me wrong even though the differences are close on some of the (pricier) digital sources that I have, used to have or demo'ed but they are still there if you listened closely. The Esoterics are just in another league (bare in mind the "comparison" to the DV-50s is based on my memory in a very different system at a dealer). And even my Denon, another Blu-ray universal player, is better than my 83SE in several ways. However, if you factored in the price and the performances that the Oppo 83SE (or the 95) it offers an exceptional value that the others can't touch, period. No, it is not a giant killer but it is a very good disc spinner. Not to mentioned it can play Blu-ray audio only discs, too, that the others (except for my Denon) can't. Just my 2 cents.

I have no experience with a stock 105D so I don't have any first person experience but based on what I have read over the last several years and newer Oppos should be better than my 83SE so they are, again, provide exceptional values in terms of sound quality. The 105D can also be used as a DAC so this is another bonus (e.g. as a DAC in a PC/Mac computer audio system). The Oppos are very versatile indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:42 am 

The Rang wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

I would expect a CD player of the Super Nova's calibre to smoke almost anything.
I have a CXU on the way from Quebec but don't expect much if any improvement over my Denon 3930.
But that doesn't matter, I'll eventually be using it to feed a Bryston DAC.

That's fair, so on that note I'll point out that the CXU does sound better than the Marantz UD5007 that I bought after doing a direct comparo with a OPPO 103 where the Marantz had come out on top. It ( CXU ) also betters the Yamaha CD-S300 CD players I use in a couple of my secondary systems. I would say it was a draw with the Creek EVO CD player I had ( from memory ) but with the CXU being the more honest sound.