Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 am 

Anyone out there have any experience with one.
Particularly with CD use.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:46 am 

I owned one for a period. IMO it was the best value out of the many that I owned in the sub $500 that I paid. I sold it as I simplified my second system and went to an integrated with a built in dac.
From that experience I recently purchased their phono stage. Out of the box I find it easily betters the Project RS I replaced; and the A/D conversion to DSD isn't preferred for my vinyl but it definitely bumped my enjoyment of cassettes.
The recently asking price of the DL111 is up considerably from a few years ago when I bought and sold though so not sure how it competes with others available with the same pricing now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:10 am 

I had one and don't recommend.....lots better out there now......however, it is well built and probably will last for many years.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:23 am 

Hal Brian wrote:
I had one and don't recommend.....lots better out there now......however, it is well built and probably will last for many years.....

Any reason why you dont recommend it?
Yes there are others at alot more money.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 am 

I found a large improvement in sound quality when I switched to a Calyx 192 Dac and an Audio Note Kit 2.1 Dac.....however, yes to be fair, they were more money on the used mkt at the time....., but come to think of it, I also preferred a Grant Fidelity tube DAC over the PS Audio Digital Link III....nothing against PS Audio....I have heard their more recent DACs and thought they were really nice....., but again.....way more mooooola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:03 am 

Why not save your pennies and invest in something you will keep? Nothing wrong with the frequency you swap out gear at, but one does have to wonder if you took you time, saved and invested in better components instead of temporary replacements then you would be better off in the long run. And probably have some money in the bank for that rainy day!

The DL III is ok for a $500 to $600 DAC, but for not much more one can do A LOT better

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:25 am 

it wouldn't be on my list at $500-$600. That is just shy of what I paid for a new Nu-Prime dac 9; which was a much better performer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Why not save your pennies and invest in something you will keep? Nothing wrong with the frequency you swap out gear at, but one does have to wonder if you took you time, saved and invested in better components instead of temporary replacements then you would be better off in the long run. And probably have some money in the bank for that rainy day!

The DL III is ok for a $500 to $600 DAC, but for not much more one can do A LOT better

Thanks...i did save my pennies for this purchase and plan to keep it.
And i do have a buck for a rainy day..again thanks for your concern.
As far as my frequency of swapping out gear well...it is afterall a very interesting hobby with alot of choices.
Cheers

-- 11 Aug 2017 09:45 --

mpublicover wrote:
it wouldn't be on my list at $500-$600. That is just shy of what I paid for a new Nu-Prime dac 9; which was a much better performer.

I would really like to know where the figure of 500-600 came from? I paid alot less than that for the DL iii.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Thanks...i did save my pennies for this purchase and plan to keep it.
And i do have a buck for a rainy day..again thanks for your concern.
As far as my frequency of swapping out gear well...it is afterall a very interesting hobby with alot of choices.
Cheers

-- 11 Aug 2017 09:45 --

mpublicover wrote:

I would really like to know where the figure of 500-600 came from? I paid alot less than that for the DL iii.

just going off the previous post; though more recent ads have been asking $500. I paid $400 and sold it later for $350 I think.
your last post states you have already purchased it. Are you unsure of it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 am 

mpublicover wrote:

I took a wild guess at the price but you just proved my point that much better can be had for very little more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
mpublicover wrote:

I took a wild guess at the price but you just proved my point that much better can be had for very little more.

Rather than tell me how much better i could do for more money do you have any experience with the DLiii?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:02 am 
Premium User

If you were computer only I found the Dragonfly Red to be a step up for cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:15 am 

James_W wrote:
If you were computer only I found the Dragonfly Red to be a step up for cheaper.

Thanks James .
I had the D-fly black but i really want this moreso for my redbook cds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am 

Had one awhile ago but better is out there I feel. From memory it was good back then but in comparison to now it suffered a lot from "digititus" and the hyperdetail feel. Build quality was excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
mpublicover wrote:

Rather than tell me how much better i could do for more money do you have any experience with the DLiii?

Yes! Never owned but did auditioned one some time ago for a second system I was trying to throw together. At the time it’s used market value was almost double what they are being sold for today. Excellent build quality but I felt it sounded too lean and lacked bass. Ended up with a Xindak DAC-8 which I felt sounded way better. Was also cheaper

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
it is afterall a very interesting hobby with alot of choices.

No argument there! But why limit yourself to a 11 year old DAC where technology and SQ has advanced since.

What CDP are you using?