Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 am 

dtsaudio wrote:
Quote:
Fix Karik if I can find spindle motor, which I have not been able too find! Or I would!

There's a 90% it ain't the motor. It is one of two other problems.
First is the laser. Relatively easy fix, cost about $150.00. Second is the loading mechanism. Make sure it is loading all the way.
Both are very repairable problems. If you like the Karik, fix it. You won't find a better transport to go with the Numerik.

Dan the man has spoken! Seriously, if he can fix the Karik for you - and you are content with the sound of the dac - it's your best, and cheapest solution. And from what I recall, the Numerik re-clocks the signal coming from the Karik so there is a symbiosis at work, if I can use that word. Before I bought the Cambridge Audio, I did in fact shop around for a used Karik but couldn't find one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:45 am 

I have already contacted Dan the man. :)

I have done a lot of reading from Linn guys who have went back and compared Karik Numerik to modern DS's.

It still goes up quite high in many people's eye's.

I have a friend who spent a lot of time on computer system then all crashed and everything gone. Not sure of the exact details. Like you not sure if I am super keen on the whole thing. Sounds like a lot of time and frustration, I am too lazy music is what I do to relax and enjoy not stress.

I do have it on the Oppo with so so results at best. I am sure the new audio grade DS's sound great but then I hear those guys say their LP12 is still more enjoyable...
So after $10k I will still want to play the turntable?

Then I chase my tail back to Dan and fixing the Karik!

Maybe the best solution given the budget!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:19 pm 

The Numerik was a reference-level converter in the early 1990s and is worth trying now, with a new input source since your Karik is dead. But the Numerik's main feature was that clock sync connection, which slaved the Karik to the Numerik's clock instead of recovering the clock from the S/PDIF input.

volleyguy1 wrote:
The Numerik only has the sync cabling that pairs it to the Karik. Is there a device that does that from a computer?

AFAIK you can simply connect a BNC-tipped coax cable from any digital source to the Numerik's input 2 (the default). However, the Oppo may sound better than this turns out to be.

Quote:
I only wished the Oppo sounded better.

You'll just have to compare, I think. You already have the Numerik, so there's little to lose. But again, you will not have the benefit of the sync connection. That means the setup will be operating at a disadvantage.

Quote:
Now would the converter have it's own issues?

Yes. High-quality chipset but older design. Musical design, but older technology. 16.1/48 max resolution. And that sync connection, unused.

Quote:
Opposed to a transport?

The Numerik is not really made to perform at its best without a Karik.

Quote:
I would like the convenience of computer based music but without the sound quality penalty.

If you are judging the sound quality of music, served by a computer from a hard drive, by going from your experience with your Oppo and its USB-connected drive, you need a better set of empirical data. Either a computer and drive, configured with software chosen by yourself, or a server such as a Bryston or a Sony, can work with a great many modern outboard DACs to provide playback quality that outdoes what the Karik-Numerik combo could do in its time.

-- 06 Aug 2017 17:24 --

Hal Brian wrote:
Which Calyx DAC?

Not the Femto. The 24/192, tweaked a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 pm 

Yes I had the Karik III and Numeric II.
If I recall correctly, both had the brilliant (switch mode power supply).

Here is the Karik upgrade history here.
http://www.sievers.sh/content/linn.php
The Karik III was distinguished because it used surface mount components.

Numeriks used 2 different types of DAC chips.
There is a consensus that the Burr Brown PCM63 K chips sound better than the newer PCM1704 K DAC chips.
These are pin for pin compatible but the PCM1704 K's had an adapter or adapter board.
The K means they were laser trimmed - which is important.

If you stay with the Karik III / Numerik combination suggest you get rid of Linn's
basic black cables, which they also used as "digital cables."
Replace them with true 75 ohm cables - 2 or 3 meter video cables are miles better,
but one will need to be re terminated with BNC's.

The Karik III will give more bass if its placed on a low density foam pad.

You'll find there is quite a bit of jitter coming out of the Oppo
and the Numerik won't be too happy about this.

I've since moved on have owned a number of DAC's.
Presently using the following set up.
Sony BDP s6700 as a transport ==> Monarchy upsampling DIP ===> W4S DAC2
all plugged into a PS Audio power regenerator.
Use 2 and 4 meter Tributaries 75 ohm video cables for digital cables.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tributaries-SVC- ... SwyjBW4xSP
A set of 3 of these should go for around $80.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:41 pm 

Hi Toby

"AFAIK you can simply connect a BNC-tipped coax cable from any digital source to the Numerik's input 2 (the default). However, the Oppo may sound better than this turns out to be".

I can hook the Oppo to the Numerik? If so where? There is no special connection in the back of the Oppo? Or any connection in the Numerik except those special cables.

I am sorry I just do not get it? How to use the Numerik as DAC on Oppo.

Thanks Jody

-- 06 Aug 2017 22:46 --

Underhill I feel I do not know much about the workings of the Numerik.

"If you stay with the Karik III / Numerik combination suggest you get rid of Linn's
Replace them with true 75 ohm cables - 2 or 3 meter video cables are miles better,
but one will need to be re terminated with BNC's".

The only Linn Black cables come out of the Numerik to the amp. The cables I have are digital from the Karik to the Numerik.

How would one even use Linn black cables?

I know the guy I bought it from was a Linn installer and had two sets of digital cables. He was for sure a tinker.

-- 06 Aug 2017 22:52 --

Underhill I just checked. My cables are from Japan and are 75 ohm and a digital interconnect. LV-61s

This is the way I bought it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:48 pm 

Jody, I have not tried this myself. I have never owned or hooked up a Numerik.

volleyguy1 wrote:
I can hook the Oppo to the Numerik? If so where? There is no special connection in the back of the Oppo? Or any connection in the Numerik except those special cables.

I am sorry I just do not get it? How to use the Numerik as DAC on Oppo.

However I have searched forums and reviews and looked up pictures. From this evidence it seems to me that you can, if you obtain a coaxial cable (which should be 1.5 metres long, for reasons I won't go into here) with an RCA connector on the input end, and a BNC connector on the output end, you can join one of the Oppo BDP-95's digital outs to the Linn Numerik's "Electrical Input 2".

There are folks who have kindly added their opinions and experience to this thread who have more practical experience with this gear than I do. They should be able to confirm that this will work, or say why not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:11 pm 

The Oppo has digital outputs?

I only see analog outputs?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:41 pm 

volleyguy1 wrote:
The Oppo has digital outputs?

I only see analog outputs?

I had a look on their website, they show it having coax and optical outs. Looked at the picture they had and I assume they mean the two connections beside the RS232C port. I'd give them a try.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:01 pm 

KJT1

There is optical and coaxial digital output.

Does not look anything like the Numerik connection?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:10 pm 

volleyguy1 wrote:
KJT1

There is optical and coaxial digital output.

Does not look anything like the Numerik connection?

I don't know anything about the Numerik but I wonder if an adapter could be found or made to allow you to convert from it to standard coax?. If it is BNC like Toby mentioned above, BIS audio made me a 1 1/2 metre cable that allows me to hook my Bryston BDP player into the DAC input on my Supernova with a BNC on one end and RCA on the other that works like a charm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm 

This Esoteric K-01 will give your LP-12 a run for its money: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649370903-esoteric-k01-super-audio-cdcd-playerpreamp-amp-dac/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:46 pm 

volleyguy1 wrote:
Hollinger

Forgive me on this but having only owned 2 Linn Karik's and a Numerik as a decent digital source would a better DAC help with the poor timing of the Oppo?

I do not even know how to hook up other transports to Numerik or what even works?

Do all transports hook up the same? Cable wise or is Linn unique for pairing?

The Oppo has given me a view into the world of high res and hard drive music but still not near the level of vintage Linn on plain old CD.

Digital music is incredibly complicated to get right!

Hopefully your Linn transport is repairable.

As a stop gap your oppo can be used as a transport - if you have a coax cable already - rca connector to rca connector - you could use an rca to bnc adaptor as offered by audioquest here and connect the oppo to the Linn (or just about any other dac)
http://www.audioquest.com/custom-instal ... onnectors/
(near bottom)

An inexpensive coax cable - 5 feet with rca to bnc connectors - can be bought at
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/

While the oppo is not going to be definitive as a transport, it may well be good enough. And yes, a different dac would transform the Oppo sound completely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:23 am 

volleyguy1 wrote:
Underhill I feel I do not know much about the workings of the Numerik.

"If you stay with the Karik III / Numerik combination suggest you get rid of Linn's
but one will need to be re terminated with BNC's".

The only Linn Black cables come out of the Numerik to the amp. The cables I have are digital from the Karik to the Numerik.
How would one even use Linn black cables?
I know the guy I bought it from was a Linn installer and had two sets of digital cables. He was for sure a tinker.

Underhill I just checked. My cables are from Japan and are 75 ohm and a digital interconnect. LV-61s

This is the way I bought it?

Volley Guy,

Now you've got me interested in getting my Kariks repaired.

As you know, the Karik and Numerik has 2 digital cables between them.
One is the sync lock and the other is digital information.

The original cables that Linn provided for both of these digital connections
were their analog interconnects - these were 1.2 meters long and became known as Linn Basic Black Interconnects.
Even though one of these cables was terminated with a BNC connector
it was still Linn analog cable.

However, these are digital signals and are designed for what is known as 75 ohm termination impedance.
If the cable and connector do not have a 75 ohm impedance, signal reflections will occur
and the digital signal will get messed up.

Replacing the original Linn "digital" cables with true 75 ohm digital cables
makes quite an improvement.

However, from your comment, it sounds like someone had already done this
this when you bought your used Karik / Numerik.

I just checked and it seems that LV-61s is digital cabling made by Canare
which is a true 75 ohm cable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:36 am 

Quote:
However I have searched forums and reviews and looked up pictures. From this evidence it seems to me that you can, if you obtain a coaxial cable (which should be 1.5 metres long, for reasons I won't go into here) with an RCA connector on the input end, and a BNC connector on the output end, you can join one of the Oppo BDP-95's digital outs to the Linn Numerik's "Electrical Input 2".

Toby I think you are correct but Dan thinks he can fix it and like everyone is saying you will not have a better transport for a Numerik than the one that was made for it! :)

So first thing is explore repair! I already have $100 in parts into it like new laser and electrolytic's that are both wear items. I understand 20 years is about it for electrolytic's anyway.

I would gladly take another 10 years out of this player if it works!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 am 

Volley Guy,

a few other points,

If it is the spindle motor - quite a number of these motors were made by a massive company
called Mabuchi - a repair person can get the part number off the motor
and replace it - even if the motor is discontinued.

I've found the Oppo 931 has quite a bit of jitter.
While you are getting the Karik repaired,
you could buy a Sony BDP s6700 4K blue ray player which is only about $139.
As a CD transport - its miles above an Oppo - although the remote is quite toy.