Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 pm 

My Linn Karik III CD player won't spin the disc anymore. :cry:

I still own a very late Linn Numerik with Slimline Brilliant power supply with no transport now. I have a LP12 as reference source and really enjoyed the Karik/Numerik!

The only digital source I have owned and liked!

I have an Oppo bdp-95 that is doing duty until I can get something. Oppo just not cutting it... Fine Blu-ray player for movies but for music not that great at all... (that is being kind)

Options to me are

1. Fix Karik if I can find spindle motor, which I have not been able too find! Or I would!

2. Another Karik preferably newer one.

3. Another Linn something?

4. Rega I hear make nice CD players maybe a used one of those similar sound. Never owned a Naim source.

5. another transport?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:40 pm 

From my own experience, the best source for the dollar spent is a computer, playing a digital library stored on a hard drive. The digital signal would arrive at your Numerik via USB, probably, and would need to be converted to S/PDIF before entering the converter.

My own source, for example, is a 2009 Mac Mini (bought used four years ago for $300) serving files stored on a 3TB external drive. It connects to a Calyx DAC directly via USB. I compared this setup with the results from an Esoteric P-10 transport (well over $3K when new) and chose the computer with little hesitation.

A big benefit of the computer source was the ability to play hi-res files.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:33 pm 

Which Calyx DAC?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:45 pm 

Thanks Toby

The Numerik only has the sync cabling that pairs it to the Karik. Is there a device that does that from a computer?

Sorry to sound out, I do have a hard drive connected to the USB on the Oppo which was easy.

I only wished the Oppo sounded better. That would be so easy! Oppo is a handy all purpose device but not really that great for Audio.

Now would the converter have it's own issues? Opposed to a transport?

-- 05 Aug 2017 02:50 --

I would like the convienience of computer based music but without the sound quality penalty.

Just do not know how! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 pm 

You might give this Esoteric a look. They made some of the best built drives out there:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... transport/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:29 am 

I would consider a Chord Hugo on the Oppo - great dac - very analogue-like presentation - nuisance to find a coax that fits the small connectors, but otherwise excellent. Rega does make nice cd spinners as well though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:09 am 

Hollinger

Forgive me on this but having only owned 2 Linn Karik's and a Numerik as a decent digital source would a better DAC help with the poor timing of the Oppo?

I do not even know how to hook up other transports to Numerik or what even works?

Do all transports hook up the same? Cable wise or is Linn unique for pairing?

The Oppo has given me a view into the world of high res and hard drive music but still not near the level of vintage Linn on plain old CD.

Digital music is incredibly complicated to get right!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:44 am 

Toby wrote:
From my own experience, the best source for the dollar spent is a computer, playing a digital library stored on a hard drive. The digital signal would arrive at your Numerik via USB, probably, and would need to be converted to S/PDIF before entering the converter.

My own source, for example, is a 2009 Mac Mini (bought used four years ago for $300) serving files stored on a 3TB external drive. It connects to a Calyx DAC directly via USB. I compared this setup with the results from an Esoteric P-10 transport (well over $3K when new) and chose the computer with little hesitation.

Having spent some time messing around with computer audio I wish I could say the same. If you like the sound of the numerik, get a cheap transport like the Cambridge Audio and continue to enjoy spinning your discs. "Computer audio" can be expensive, time-consuming and the results mixed in my experience. If you go that route, your findings may vary of course.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 am 

Toby wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:32 am 
Premium User

Toby wrote:
From my own experience, the best source for the dollar spent is a computer, playing a digital library stored on a hard drive.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:03 am 

Mike Smith wrote:
Toby wrote:

Having spent some time messing around with computer audio I wish I could say the same. If you like the sound of the numerik, get a cheap transport like the Cambridge Audio and continue to enjoy spinning your discs. "Computer audio" can be expensive, time-consuming and the results mixed in my experience. If you go that route, your findings may vary of course.

Hi Mike

I do like the Numerik. One of the last ones made with Slim Line Brilliant power supply.

I keep reading about how good the last CD players made by Naim CD5si and Rega Apollo or Saturn. A new CD player as good as Karik Numerik would be fine to me!

As you know it is hard to get anything worse!

There can always be a good argument that the end of the era product like end of CD era is some of the best buys out there?

I had a Rega P3 demo in the 90's I think against a much more expensive Linn Karik $3500 no Numerik and the Rega was wayyyyy better and shocking value for $800! Of course vinyl was on the way out and they had to sell you on better sound old format...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:10 am 

Yes, lots of good used CD players around. I had the Linn combo many years ago when I was in the clutches of London Audio but eventually sold it and went through a variety of players until I dumped the digital and just listened to LP's. I recently took the plunge back into digital however, thinking I would put together a second system for upstairs but this hasn't materialized. I tried a couple of different dacs, bought a TEAC with built in streamer but didn't like the sound, although it was convenient. I built a low powered computer with a DC board specifically for audio. I have about 2 TB worth of flac files ripped from my old cd's ( and some newer discs which I acquired in a mini buying-frenzy). The files are also on a networked HTPC which I built as well, primarily for movies/streaming. Operating system is Windows 10 with JRiver as library/player. I did do some software/operating sytem optimization but never got around to installing an expensive, audiophile grade USB card because I didn't like having the computer (which can be operated headless (without monitor and using android phone as a remote) near the sytem. I investigated various USB cables, "bridges", optical isolation, "audiophile grade" ethernet cable installations, renderers and other hardware/software until I was blue in the face and eventually came to the conclusion that at the present time, for me, it was just easier to spin some CD's. I bought a Cambridge Audio CXC transport for a good price. It's a great little transport that will tide me over until I decide to tackle the computer audio thing again. I use it with a Lampizator Amber DAC II which has a tube output and tube rectifier. It will handle hi-res and switch to DSD automatically, but I'm content to use it for mainly red-book playback because I like the sound of it. I use this setup in my main system when I don't feel like playing LP's. For upstairs, I have JRiver on my HTPC and can play the flac files through my Marantz AV receiver and Tannoy speakers while I'm doing the dishes. As you can imagine, it sounds dreadful. Best of luck with your deliberations and upgrades. Cheers

Last edited by Mike Smith on Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 am 

James_W wrote:
Toby wrote:
From my own experience, the best source for the dollar spent is a computer, playing a digital library stored on a hard drive.

+1

+2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:07 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Quote:
Fix Karik if I can find spindle motor, which I have not been able too find! Or I would!

There's a 90% it ain't the motor. It is one of two other problems.
First is the laser. Relatively easy fix, cost about $150.00. Second is the loading mechanism. Make sure it is loading all the way.
Both are very repairable problems. If you like the Karik, fix it. You won't find a better transport to go with the Numerik.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:11 am 

Wow Mike!

Sounds like quite a ride!

I really enjoy the Karik Numerik on my vintage tube amps. When I had Linn Kairn and Klout not so much. Then it was only vinyl.

It is frustrating that Linn has stopped service. Linn slogan is Linn for Life. I bought my Karik/Numerik used but if I paid $8k new (like original owner) I would not be happy that at little more than 10 years they stopped service the product. I know Linn says how long should we service this old stuff? Yet there is many 30-40 year old LP12's out there. It makes the price easier to stomach when it is a "lifetime" purchase.

Like you I listen mostly to vinyl but in reality I may not always be able to get vinyl or want to pay for it. CD's much cheaper and lots of used around. The Karik Numerik was the first digital I have had where I was not thinking what was the source just enjoying.

Makes you mad when you are content but you just can not find parts. So many Kariks are now broken so a very risky bet. Their best value is as what I did with mine is put up for sale to someone who is fortunate enough to have the cash to buy new Linn and the Karik is worth from $900 to $3600 on trade. (Plus tax savings) so one could save over $4k!

I would love an Akurate DS but do not have $8k?! I know my Karik Numerik was that new and the Karik is 22 years old... I guess I am just not in th position to spend that kind of money now.

I am in the financial world of used which are very sketchy now or new (CD only) high quality. I have chapagne tastes after years of expensive CD player and a beer budget...

I have had the Oppo bdp-95 for 5 years only when the Karik Numerik broke did it get temporary service a main digital source and it is not that good at all for a highly rated new product!

The thought that a new $1200? Bluray player is better than a $8k 20 year old CD player is not true. (As a CD player)

I do not know what or who is as good today and at what price? I am sure it is less? How much less to be the same?

I guess I just want my Karik fixed or an option or a spinner of the same or better quality that does not break the bank.

-- 06 Aug 2017 17:14 --

Hi Dan

It looks like you might be the guy to see?

I did replace the laser and it was better for awhile and now not working.

The repair is out of my league.