Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Revox CD Players
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 pm 

Hi,

I am writing to find out if any one owns a Revox CD player, like B225, 226.

What is the primary difference between the two, and how do they sound compare with other modern players of today?

Please share your experiences.

Many Thanks

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Revox CD Players
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 pm 

B225 was a 14 bit, while the B226 was a 16 bit.

I remember trading in my faulty MCD 7000 for a B226. The B226 seems to have quite the cult following, with prices that seem pretty high for a vintage machine that is fairly common. But not for nothing....It has the indestructible CDM1 transport, the TDA 1541 DAC, a fixed and variable analog output, as well as two coaxial digital outputs....and the fantastic build quality of Revox's 200 series components.

I currently have a B215 cassette deck, which is still also considered top of class.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 am 

Off topic but with your usernaim you probably should be searching Naim Cd1, Cd2, Cd3, CdI and CdS1 :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 am 

As regards the OP's question about how the Revox CD players compare with modern units. . .

One of the better Oppo universal players will give you higher fidelity overall than the Revox, though maybe not in the lowest frequencies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:56 am 

225 is the "classic" sound of first "sound of digital" we were suppose to get...the 226 is bit better version with the famous 1541 chip and fairly nice implementation...I am a real fan of the 1541,but you have to go for like Marantz CD7 to have the real deal of it.....and yes the CDM transport was the best they ever had....also most of the displays are dead now...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:19 am 

My first CD player was Revox's first CD player as well. It's sound was quite natural, but, as with all early players, many CD's didn't sound very good and those particular titles did not get played often. Imaging was essentially non-existent and even left-right information was challenged. Only bass, noise levels and dynamic range improvements justified the existence of the medium. At the time it was probably the most competent player out there. As time went by, the only player I ever heard that improved on the sound was the California Audio Labs first player - again very expensive - and a new, unproven company.

With time the rage became DAC's and talk about jitter. My Revox did not have a digital out and so eventually I traded it in for Revox's second player, which had SPDIF out. The talk about poor quality transports in most players kept me in the Revox camp. At the end of the day, there were decent improvements in sound and presentation, but no change in the original plan to get a DAC. I then acquired a Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 Mk II. Everything became so much more listenable and imaging was discernible. After finally getting the Sonic Frontiers transport, and a good digital cable, Cardas Lightning, listening to CD's actually became very enjoyable. The Revox was put back in its box and relegated to basement storage. I finally gave it to a very good friend for helping me move to my new house.

All in all, I would not recommend purchasing a Revox CD player today, unless you have auditioned the particular unit and you are sure that it fulfills all of your requirements. It will have good resale value down the road. The bright side here is that it will probably last until you can save up enough to replace it with something really special, if that is your final goal. Today, for value and sound, I would point you to the new Bryston BCD-3; my impression is that you would have to spend three to four times its price to better it. The best value for money is never having to upgrade because "upgrade creep" never sets in. I now use Bryston's BOT, BDP-2 and BDA-3 to play CD's and they will stay until CD sound does not improve with dedicated cable upgrades.

Whenever I listen to older equipment, I am usually somewhat surprised by how good it initially sounds. Then, with a bit of time, I begin to hear all of the problems once I get used to the sonic environment, as it were. This varies with experience and I strongly suspect that those who wax poetic about older brands are psychologically placing themselves in a space where they care more about the "brand sound" than the sound of music itself. It's easy enough to do, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. There are scads of people overjoyed with the sound of their older systems and very into parts upgrades and maintenance. I suspect they enjoy their oldest music the most. Good for them; I would never discourage them. Joy is joy! They usually have to spend less and can participate more on the technical hobby side of things, which is what they tend to love as much as the music.

So, I would suggest that you be aware of these circumstances when you engage with this segment of the audio circle. They do have much to offer to the community and are very genuine. In the "old days", many brands had characteristic sounds that endeared them to many who found something that was just right. Its just as easy to participate today, but the overall industry bar is set much higher. It involves two separate kinds of shopping, just as with high efficiency SET systems. When one moves up the audio food chain, their old equipment becomes a learning opportunity for someone less experienced. Just be sure you sample everything before taking the plunge. Santa Claus is always entering and leaving the building. Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:29 pm 

I have owned 2 or 3 of both models. When they work, they sound great, but they have a lot of mechanical problems, mostly failing to start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm 

Like all electronics over 30 years old, a recapping is in order. But Revox's of this vintage are especially vulnerable, as they used the high quality, but short lifespan Fraco caps. These caps also tend to short out, rather than just crack or leak, taking out the rest of the electronics in the process, which is why recapping vintage Revox is almost universally considered mandatory.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:47 pm 

Had one years ago, that I had bought used. A very nice machine. The fellow I sold the Revox to, had another Revox cd player that had failed. But as others have pointed out, it is now over 30 years old and nothing lasts forever. I would not pay very much for one, given the age.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 pm 

Except people are paying good money for them now, and I suspect they will continue to. The B226 appears to be one of those former high watermark products people find worthwhile restoring or even modifying. Even older Revox R2R machines are commanding high prices and being restored.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:44 am 

Quote:
Except people are paying good money for them now, and I suspect they will continue to.

Agreed. But I won't be one!
Revox or not, cd drives will fail at some point and then the challenge is finding a replacement. That is the same problem with anything that is no longer made and the spares were used up years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:16 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The 225 is an incredible CD player for exactly the reasons that almost all other CD players suck. It rolls off the top end early and has a very natural midrange. It's definitely not correct but for about $250 it's as good as most up to $1000 today. The problem is they all have reliability problems. If you want something new that does all it does and more, check out Marantz SA8005.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:40 am 

if you want good CD player with this kind of sound and less reliability problems..... get the EMT 981....that will be my choice....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:17 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
Quote:
Except people are paying good money for them now, and I suspect they will continue to.

Revox or not, cd drives will fail at some point and then the challenge is finding a replacement.

CDM1's rarely fail (I still have my first cd player...the CD 101 and it still performs as new), and if they do, can be repaired or there are plenty of donor CDM1's out there. If I were inclined to have a B226, I would buy a donor at the same time just in case and have the unit completely recapped (the blue philips capacitors under the laser are a main cause of failure).

Another vintage sleeper is one audiophiles wouldn't normally think of... the B&O 5500. All in-house B&O super design/build quality with the TDA1541A and another good transport...CDM-4/11. I have one of those as well.