Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:52 am 

The Audiophile 10 MHz Reference Master Clock

https://www.mutec-net.com/index.php

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 am 

do you have a dac or D to D converter like the Mutec or Audiobyte Hydra z that will accept a word clock?

if not the buggy is in front of the horse for sure.

I have the Audiobyte Hydra Z with the accompanying Hydra ZPM power supply and a word clock is something I would really like to try.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:11 pm 

My personal and unqualified opinion...no...modern DACs have pretty decent clocks already. These master clocks are intended for recording/mastering studios where several different digital components need to be synced. Audiophiles don't have this need. My Mytek DAC has a word clock that other devices can be synced to, but since it's already the only destination, I haven't found a use for it other than to use it internally.

Last edited by ripblade on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:04 pm 

No, pls file under stuff that doesn't matter to audiophiles and move on. Pls be aware there are no fools like audio fools, apparently you can sell them anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 pm 

I also have a MyTek DAC (the Brooklyn) as well other pro audio ADC/DACs. All offer word-clock in and out.

This is a valuable feature—but only if your digital source has a word-clock input.

In that case, you can "slave" the source to the DAC; that is, use the DAC's clock as the "master" clock for the two components. In this configuration, the DAC is freed from having to re-clock the incoming digital signal and, in this way, jitter is minimized beyond what can be achieved with a standard "two-clock" approach.

Of course, like every other audio technology, this can be implemented at various levels of excellence/effectiveness.

Many of the higher end digital disc transports (e.g., Esoteric, dCS, EMM Labs) are equipped with word-clock inputs. So, for that matter, is my TASCAM digital recorder.

The most extreme form of this approach is indeed the separate clock that is then connected to both source and DAC. Esoteric and some others, like Antelope Audio, also make these. Some users swear by them, but then you're getting into multiple five-figure components to make up the digital front end. . .and the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in. . .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:02 pm 

Thanks , that was an excellent reply to the OP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:02 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
I also have a MyTek DAC (the Brooklyn) as well other pro audio ADC/DACs. All offer word-clock in and out.

This is a valuable feature—but only if your digital source has a word-clock input.

In that case, you can "slave" the source to the DAC; that is, use the DAC's clock as the "master" clock for the two components. In this configuration, the DAC is freed from having to re-clock the incoming digital signal and, in this way, jitter is minimized beyond what can be achieved with a standard "two-clock" approach.

Of course, like every other audio technology, this can be implemented at various levels of excellence/effectiveness.

Many of the higher end digital disc transports (e.g., Esoteric, dCS, EMM Labs) are equipped with word-clock inputs. So, for that matter, is my TASCAM digital recorder.

The most extreme form of this approach is indeed the separate clock that is then connected to both source and DAC. Esoteric and some others, like Antelope Audio, also make these. Some users swear by them, but then you're getting into multiple five-figure components to make up the digital front end. . .and the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in. . .

Dr. Joe with all due respect, neither my hard drive nor my CD's have clocking issues even though the data is frozen in time and must eventually be renter the temporal world. Clocking is another one of those things that may have made a difference to audiophiles in decades past but only continue because it is a marketing tool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm 

Thanks for the great replies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:01 pm 

Audio_Guy wrote:
dr.joe wrote:

Dr. Joe with all due respect, neither my hard drive nor my CD's have clocking issues even though the data is frozen in time and must eventually be renter the temporal world. Clocking is another one of those things that may have made a difference to audiophiles in decades past but only continue because it is a marketing tool.

Ok I'll bite....let's just say your right and literally everything I have read and everything I have done to improve my digital front end is marketing and my bias towards it...which is actually not out of the realm of possibility. With that I can find a ton of info from traditionally reliable sources that indicate accurate clocking reduces jitter or phase noise ( some say is the same thing) and improve the noise floor.
Can you bring some objective data that suggests this not to be the case ? Or are you a bits is bits guy?

Oddly but admitttedly subjective every move I have made to improve timing on my digital front has brought an improvement and its fair to say that my front end is not budget cuts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:12 am 

ADCO wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:
dr.joe wrote:

Ok I'll bite....let's just say your right and literally everything I have read and everything I have done to improve my digital front end is marketing and my bias towards it...which is actually not out of the realm of possibility. With that I can find a ton of info from traditionally reliable sources that indicate accurate clocking reduces jitter or phase noise ( some say is the same thing) and improve the noise floor.
Can you bring some objective data that suggests this not to be the case ? Or are you a bits is bits guy?

Oddly but admitttedly subjective every move I have made to improve timing on my digital front has brought an improvement and its fair to say that my front end is not budget cuts

ADCO,

In digital audio digital clocks are used for two purposes:

1) provide the synchronization between channels of music that are being blended. (mixing in a studio)
2) provide the timing of the data as it is being processed in the DAC.

In early (primitive) consumer audio when data buffers were tiny and good clocks expensive there were likely some benefits to syncing (locking) the data stream between sources and DACs.

Just consider USB inputs to new DACs, this is not a synchronized data stream, the clocking of the data as it is processed is the sole responsibility of DAC.

I hope this helps. Please remember 95% of all you read on the web about consumer audio is pure BS.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 am 

Sorry but I am a little past the kindergarten lesson here... how about sharing some data that suggest consumer goods are at end game tech in this respect(?)... the generic reply wasn't just predictable it doesn't help.

Honestly I may come off disrespectful but it's as tiring to here this argument as it to s the digital or analogue argument or even the objective/subjective..... there is always an argument to be had and it always goes like this " I reject what you have read and learned but I don't have any facts to back up my positions except all else is BS"

Please just do better if you want to help

To the OP.... Dr Joes reply was really where your head needs the be . I would further bolster his point of diminishing returns statement in that the vast majority of people could or should change out and or Upgrade other things in there system that will likely bring more value.... however some of us are at a point that this avenue is worth the investment on top of a serious investment on our digital front end

One needs to keep these things fully in context , it's not marketing it's just expensive and you had better have an extreamly revealing and also likely expensive rig upstream to acknowledge the difference a device like this will make .... difinately diminishing returns on this however givin the right scenarios this is next level digital tech

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:26 am 

ADCO wrote:
Sorry but I am a little past the kindergarten lesson here... how about sharing some data that suggest consumer goods are at end game tech in this respect(?)... the generic reply wasn't just predictable it doesn't help.

Honestly I may come off disrespectful but it's as tiring to here this argument as it to s the digital or analogue argument or even the objective/subjective..... there is always an argument to be had and it always goes like this " I reject what you have read and learned but I don't have any facts to back up my positions except all else is BS"

Please just do better if you want to help

To the OP.... Dr Joes reply was really where your head needs the be . I would further bolster his point of diminishing returns statement in that the vast majority of people could or should change out and or Upgrade other things in there system that will likely bring more value.... however some of us are at a point that this avenue is worth the investment on top of a serious investment on our digital front end

One needs to keep these things fully in context , it's not marketing it's just expensive and you had better have an extreamly revealing and also likely expensive rig upstream to acknowledge the difference a device like this will make .... difinately diminishing returns on this however givin the right scenarios this is next level digital tech

Pls accept my apologies.