Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:16 pm 
Premium User

Hey Folks,

I'm considering picking up a Chord Mojo based on all the praise it's getting. It used to be $799 not long ago, but I've noticed numerous retailers have dropped it to $649. Is this a temporary rebate that's going on, or is it a new retail price? With a number of sellers here on CAM asking close to $600 for a used one, I'm tempted to do what I never do with audio gear, and just buy new.

Also, where do you get the adapters, like if I wanted to use a regular Coax cable into the tiny jack on the Mojo?

THanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 pm 

Seems to be the new price all around. My take is used price will drop lower than they are now. Wait a bit...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:25 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Main reason for the new retail was a drop in the pound. - Jody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 pm 
Premium User

I can wait a week or two. Is there anything better at this price point? I don't need a portable dac, I just need a good DAC. I just keep hearing that portable or not, it's the best at it's price point. Schiit Bifrost Multibit maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:51 pm 

I assumed the price drop was due to an imminent mojo2. I could be jumping the gun on that one. I have only heard the Hugo and it's very impressive. Mojo is said to be almost as good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:04 pm 

najibs wrote:
I can wait a week or two. Is there anything better at this price point? I don't need a portable dac, I just need a good DAC. I just keep hearing that portable or not, it's the best at it's price point. Schiit Bifrost Multibit maybe?
Buy the Mojo! Just go for it, you won't regret it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:58 am 

najibs wrote:
Also, where do you get the adapters, like if I wanted to use a regular Coax cable into the tiny jack on the Mojo?

The Mojo has 3 digital inputs, 1 x TOSLink optical, 1 x 3.5mm Coaxial SPDIF, 1 x Micro USB and 2 x 3.5mm stereo outputs. Audioquest sells all the cables you would need for any type of connection. I connect my MacBook Pro using an Audioquest USB to micro USB cable, utilizing the micro USB input on the Mojo. Then an Audioquest 3.5mm male mini to 2 x male RCA cable to go from one of the 3.5mm stereo outputs on the Mojo to RCA inputs on my preamp. You have to remember to set the Mojo to line level ( 3V ) output by pressing both volume buttons when turning on the unit. Both volume balls will turn light blue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:32 am 
Premium User

bbsupersport wrote:
najibs wrote:

The Mojo has 3 digital inputs, 1 x TOSLink optical, 1 x 3.5mm Coaxial SPDIF, 1 x Micro USB and 2 x 3.5mm stereo outputs. Audioquest sells all the cables you would need for any type of connection. I connect my MacBook Pro using an Audioquest USB to micro USB cable, utilizing the micro USB input on the Mojo. Then an Audioquest 3.5mm male mini to 2 x male RCA cable to go from one of the 3.5mm stereo outputs on the Mojo to RCA inputs on my preamp. You have to remember to set the Mojo to line level ( 3V ) output by pressing both volume buttons when turning on the unit. Both volume balls will turn light blue.

Very useful advice. Thank you.

Also, I know it's battery operated, but if I don't intend to ever use it as a portable device, is there any way I can just leave it permanently plugged in so I don't have to charge batteries every time they run out?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:07 am 

najibs wrote:
bbsupersport wrote:
najibs wrote:

Also, I know it's battery operated, but if I don't intend to ever use it as a portable device, is there any way I can just leave it permanently plugged in so I don't have to charge batteries every time they run out?

I have mine permanently connected to a 5v 1amp usb charger. The Mojo gets a bit hot but it's normal.

By the way, don't be fooled by its portable factor. It's not out of place in a main set-up. One heck of a DAC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:13 am 

Have not heard the Chord products, but I can heartily recommend the Bifrost Multibit. I had the Uber version and handed it down to my son when going multibit.
More money though at around $950 after shipping, exchange, taxes.

Last edited by devon58 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:33 am 

najibs wrote:
bbsupersport wrote:
najibs wrote:

You can leave it plugged in but the Mojo can and will overheat on occasion when charging and playing simultaneously. I enjoy my Mojo but there are better options for a stand-alone DAC you don't plan to use as a transportable, IMO. The size and connectivity make it a bit fussy in a main system for some.