Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Used Bryston BDP
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:40 am 

I've been interested in picking up a used Bryston BDP-1 or BDP-2, but after reading their online manuals I notice the apple app MPoD, that they recommend for using as a controller is no longer available. Does this make the BDP-1 and BDP-2 unusable with the iPAD. If not, what are people using?

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

Post subject: Re: Used Bryston BDP
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 am 

I have the bdp-Pi. Using manic moose software via an iPad. Works very well.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:24 am 

I have been using my BDP-2 with my I-pad for over two yrs.
With wifi connection I use my Ipad on my deck,I checked my distance for controlling the bdp,
our yard is 100 ft wide and I can select different songs or playlists with ease.
one of the better investments I have made.
no more looking thru 500+cds for that one song as it`s all there right at your finger tips.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:28 am 

drummermitchell wrote:
I have been using my BDP-2 with my I-pad for over two yrs.
With wifi connection I use my Ipad on my deck,I checked my distance for controlling the bdp,
our yard is 100 ft wide and I can select different songs or playlists with ease.
one of the better investments I have made.
no more looking thru 500+cds for that one song as it`s all there right at your finger tips.

But what app are you using on your ipad.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:44 am 

meiwan wrote:
I have the bdp-Pi. Using manic moose software via an iPad. Works very well.

The Bryston Pi is an elegant solution for sure. I have a Raspberry with a Dragonfly Red and LPS, and the sound is impressive on NAS files and even Spotify. I can also play Tidal, through a couple of intermediary apps.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:52 am 

All you need is a web browser to access your files.No app is needed although many prefer to use an app. The web address would be something like http://bryston-bdp-1.local/bryston/ . Likely some other apps that may work as well. I use Android devices and there is no shortage of apps that I can use. I like the web browser interface myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 am 

mnorman wrote:
All you need is a web browser to access your files.No app is needed although many prefer to use an app. The web address would be something like http://bryston-bdp-1.local/bryston/ . Likely some other apps that may work as well. I use Android devices and there is no shortage of apps that I can use. I like the web browser interface myself.

Thanks. I figured that might be the only option available for IOS users. Presumably, Bryston might have something in the works to go with the new BDP-3, but as of this morning I didn't see any kind of user manual on their website.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:30 am 

Bryston does not develop apps so you won't see anything from them other than updating software periodically. Which uses any web browser to access.
Good luck

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:45 am 

So, can the bdp-1 or bdp-2 play Tidal?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:01 am 

The easiest and most reliable way to "connect" a BDP-1/2 is to first push the bottom button in the grouping just to the right of the display, once or twice, to find out which IP address the player is currently looking at (it can change, for instance, when you turn it off weekly to clear the memory, which you should do religiously). Then just open the browser on your iPad and type in that IP address and press "Go" and you're done.

The players are already set up for Tidal, right out of the box ( BDP-2's are also Roon ready). Just go to the Tidal website on your computer or iPad and set up your account and password. Once that is done, you go to Dashboard on the Music Player Daemon (or MPD, which you were taken to when you typed the IP address into your iPad's browser). You should compare the model manuals, which are online.

"BUT", to actually "play" anything, you first have to establish a wired weblink to the player. Before you can rip any files to be saved to the player, you must initially plug a USB drive containing music files of some sort into the player. Just put a CD into your computer and save the files to a USB drive. Then you can plug a HDD into another USB port and rip to the HDD with a BOT or other USB CD reader. You should always make sure you choose the correct destination for your rips and NEVER leave any spellings that have "crazy" characters in any music titles, artist names, etc.

It took me forever to figure all of this out, as the explanations in the Bryston manuals can only be described as really disorganized and scattered. As someone who has a degree in psychology, I can tell you that there are many cognitive styles in the general population and this is further complicated by the many ways that any given computer task can be solved. Few people who write manuals ever realize that less than 10% of the population would ever solve or perceive any given problem the same way as they do. Then add to that the fact that they regularly assume the reader knows a lot more than they actually do. Need I say more?

While I'm at it I will rake Bryston over the coals when it comes to one of their "help" videos. So that they understand that I appreciate the effort, but, for example, the video on how to format a hard drive is crazy fuzzy visually and the audio is extremely poor. If someone comes into the office with a camera and says we should make a video, you don't just start shooting and upload it five minutes later. You have to write an outline and then a script first!!! You have to rehearse, over and over; pretend you are doing a presentation for marks in one of your university or tech school courses - with the thought of failure in mind!!! Then you have to check the final product for production values, which have to be high or you do it over.

Without fail, every time one of my professors would return papers that had just been graded, they would point out that the biggest mistake students made was assuming that the reader already understood the parameters of the topic. We were always told to assume that the reader had no knowledge of the topic whatsoever, which meant we had to be well organized, be concise using straightforward lines of thought and language, explain all terms and provide definitions. Basically, you are talking to your grandmother, who grew up on a farm 100 years ago. This how you learn to think. Have you ever listened to a lawyer in court take a witness through testimony which has to be understood by a jury? It's not easy, but it is eminently worthwhile for intellectual growth.

And yes, I do love my BDP-2 and would never give it up, except for a BDP-3 because I intend to get a DSD recorder to digitize my favourite records. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:11 am 

A note on ROON. Someone mentioned bpd-2 is Roon ready. All Bryston BDPs (1, 2, 3 and Pi) are now Room ready. They will all function as End Points for Roon. Meaning you still need a computer on the network (hardwired Ethernet) running Room for them to function. The BDP-3 has the hardware to function as a Roon core/server , meaning it will work as the computer and endpoint. They just need to update it to 64-bit first. Which my understanding is, Bryston plans to do.

Depending on how you plan on using Roon, or if you do, the BDP-3 may represent the most cost effective solution for those without a free computer to run Roon duties. Otherwise, all work as an end point. Roon Ready does not mean a network player will run the software as a server on its own.

All work with Tidal via Manic Moose.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:41 pm 

I have a bdp-2 and I have used both Roon and Tidal with it. I use a Samsung tablet to control it. I found that Bryston's Manic Moose was better than Roon in sound quality so I went back to it. I had thought about installing a solid state drive inside but an external 1 Tb drive works fine so I didn't bother. I have files backed up on a second external drive as well.

There is an upgrade to the bdp-2 with an iad card. I will have to look into that some day.