Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OPPO BDP-205
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 am 

I bought my 95 from Solutions when our dollar was worth a dollar. I cant remember what I paid for tax, so $1000 + tax.
I don't need 4K and for the most likely small increment in sound quality I wouldn't buy one.
Heck I would like one and the additional features, but not for $2000 it just doesn't make sense for me.
I would be better off keeping my awesome 95 and spending $2000 on a DAC...I think
If our dollar was at par it might be a different story. If you don't have anything that's different too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:12 am 
Premium User

:mrgreen:
milag wrote:
Of course the Oppo 205 is a true 4K, along with the 203, many of us Oppo-owners have known this for awhile! I wrote that the 4k, meaning in general terms, is in it's infancy as a standard. I was NOT referring to the Oppo player. Meaning also that we won't need to spend anywhere near $2,000 to get this 4k technology. It has already started with the Oppo 201 at $ 700.00...

Since the older 105's raison d'être was the "audiophile" application with the better dac and XLR outputs, it was a great idea when it came out with few alternatives at it's price point.

In 2017, with physical media being replaced by streaming, there are of course many other options available.

Still, I am sure the 205 is a fantastic machine and I would gladly see one in my system. But it is just no longer competing against other manufacturer's players. It is competing with how different movie-watching has become. And on the "audiophile'' side, there are so many different options now available.

Buying the new Oppo 205 in 2917, is not unlike buying a 5k cd player, when you think of it. If you stream Tidal, Spotify Premium or high-rez downloads, you know what I mean.

Going back to Oppo, I do think the 203 at +- $700, is the better buy versus the 205.

Funny how relative a term "infancy" has become. 4K TV has been around since 2003, or 14 years. Even YouTube has been supporting it since 2009 or 8 years. Waiting 900 years to buy into it (2917) won't make the technology any more mature; only obsolete. :mrgreen:

Figure another 8 years for 4K to be the de-facto standard. In the meantime, you can either be an early adopter or wait for prices to fall and get in just when the manufacturers start cheaping out on players.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:15 am 

Don't have a 4k TV and won't until this one blows up and my Cambridge CXU already has stellar two channel out so I guess I'm standing pat as well. Pity, I've run out of cool stuff to buy to feed the habit. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:38 am 

I am still pi$$ed that they are giving up on 3D.
I bought my Sammy 3D Smart TV just before 4K, I think I am going to keep it until it blows too.
You cant win though as they now have 8K TVs and when will those be released.
I am still waiting for cable/sat providers to have all HD channels, so I may die before we have 8K channels maybe before 4K channels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:59 pm 

I have sold my 105 to get a 205
I will only use it for digital 2 channel,,,only

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:22 pm 

Here's a real kick in the teeth, now that I've put together an 11 channel atmos/dtsx speaker system and a nice 3d 1080p benq projector and 100 inch screen the studios are starting to only release atmos soundtracks on the 4k blurays. Thanks for nothing!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 pm 

z28-1980--car wrote:

Well let us know how it sounds and how you like it when you have spent some time with it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 pm 

darcman wrote:
z28-1980--car wrote:

Well let us know how it sounds and how you like it when you have spent some time with it.

Should sound as the 105

Because digital is about 10% of my listening it is a one box with balance out,,does it for me,,does CD,SACD,USB and i use the HDMI out to display for files on SSD

Great for old guys,,,one box,,,one set of cables

Should be here in a few weeks,,,no silver only black

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:09 pm 

Oppo 203 is being used for Blu-ray only, 2 channel is handled by PS Audio DirectWave... the OPPO 4K is awesome, watched a 3D movie last night with a 4K up-scaled picture... WOW... the 3D is hugely improved with the up-scaling..much brighter, easier to see, excellant.! Pulling out my older 3D's and ordering 3D's of my favorite movies.... all on a 110" screen.... still have to wear those stupid glasses, but they are really light and, Heh, you wear them in the Movie Theaters ... so why not..
Yes, love the new stuff.... if we don't buy it, why would the companies bother putting out the new stuff...... what are you going to do when the 8K comes out....!!!
The 4K with Atmos, you can not beat it.... well DTS-X.... pretty damn good, not many movies on the DTS stable... great way to spend a night, 4k Movie with Atmos at 3/4 volume, neighbors get to enjoy the explosions..OPPO 203 does a great job.!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:52 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
:mrgreen:
milag wrote:
Of course the Oppo 205 is a true 4K, along with the 203, many of us Oppo-owners have known this for awhile! I wrote that the 4k, meaning in general terms, is in it's infancy as a standard. I was NOT referring to the Oppo player. Meaning also that we won't need to spend anywhere near $2,000 to get this 4k technology. It has already started with the Oppo 201 at $ 700.00...

Since the older 105's raison d'être was the "audiophile" application with the better dac and XLR outputs, it was a great idea when it came out with few alternatives at it's price point.

In 2017, with physical media being replaced by streaming, there are of course many other options available.

Still, I am sure the 205 is a fantastic machine and I would gladly see one in my system. But it is just no longer competing against other manufacturer's players. It is competing with how different movie-watching has become. And on the "audiophile'' side, there are so many different options now available.

Buying the new Oppo 205 in 2917, is not unlike buying a 5k cd player, when you think of it. If you stream Tidal, Spotify Premium or high-rez downloads, you know what I mean.

Going back to Oppo, I do think the 203 at +- $700, is the better buy versus the 205.

Funny how relative a term "infancy" has become. 4K TV has been around since 2003, or 14 years. Even YouTube has been supporting it since 2009 or 8 years. Waiting 900 years to buy into it (2917) won't make the technology any more mature; only obsolete. :mrgreen:

Figure another 8 years for 4K to be the de-facto standard. In the meantime, you can either be an early adopter or wait for prices to fall and get in just when the manufacturers start cheaping out on players.

Everything is relative. The fact that there are so few real 4K players out there qualifies that we are at the infancy stage as far as consumer hardware. Same was said of 3D just a few years ago - never took off big time. From a purely technological perspective, 4K is already obsolete as it has already been surpassed. Where will it end? Will 4K become the SACD of video?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:54 pm 
Premium User

Tutone wrote:
They will still charge Canadien taxes, which is all the duty you pay if you, yourself, bring it over the border. You can save over $100 if you live close to the border. Never ever use UPS or FEDEX to bring anything over the border for you, they are a huge cost for thier unnecessary border brokage fees.

As for spending an extra $100 to buy Canadien, TJFS

I'm surprised that someone has not pointed out the problem with your "reasoning" on buying it at US $1299 vs Cdn at $1779
You may have heard of it; it's called: It's called Exchange Rate: :roll:

XE Currency Converter: USD to CAD
1,299 USD = 1,773.86CAD
US Dollar: 1 USD = 1.36556 CAD
↔Canadian Dollar: 1 CAD = 0.732300 USD
Live mid-market rate 2017-04-30 04:49 UTC

Therefore you save nothing by buying it in the US. The price is the same after exchange and you still pay the same taxes as you will here, AND the shipping is more expensive from the US than it would be in Canada.
So, you'd actually be paying MORE to get it from the US!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:58 pm 
Premium User

AVguy wrote:
Tutone wrote:
They will still charge Canadien taxes, which is all the duty you pay if you, yourself, bring it over the border. You can save over $100 if you live close to the border. Never ever use UPS or FEDEX to bring anything over the border for you, they are a huge cost for thier unnecessary border brokage fees.

As for spending an extra $100 to buy Canadien, TJFS

I'm surprised that someone has not pointed out the problem with your "reasoning" on buying it at US $1299 vs Cdn at $1779
You may have heard of it; it's called: It's called Exchange Rate: :roll:

XE Currency Converter: USD to CAD
1,299 USD = 1,773.86CAD
US Dollar: 1 USD = 1.36556 CAD
↔Canadian Dollar: 1 CAD = 0.732300 USD
Live mid-market rate 2017-04-30 04:49 UTC

Therefore you save nothing by buying it in the US. The price is the same after exchange and you still pay the same taxes as you will here, AND the shipping is more expensive from the US than it would be in Canada.
So, you'd actually be paying MORE to get it from the US!! :shock:

Don't forget the customs brokerage fees on anything over $200 and the possible cross border shipping hassles/costs with warranty hassles.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 pm 

I think some are missing the point.... exchange/tax is yes, but NO brokerage fees... when you bring it over yourself there are no fees, just tax... and if the customs agents are in a great mood, or really busy or whatever, they may just say, .HAVE A GREAT DAY' MOVE ON.therefor no tax...Do you all live that far from the border' Gas in the US is $0.30 cheaper a litre.... you fill up, you save $20 a tank, costs $1 to get there, yes, did all the exchange, did all the tax... bought my 203 in the US , was shipped and arrived in 2 days... in Canada, it would take 10 days from Solutions....plus their shipping fees... sorry lads.. it was still cheaper to purchase in the USA and ship to a USA address and bring it over my self....

Will totally agree with the exchange rate, there are no longer GREAT deals in the States, there are only GOOD deals now.... where I have my USA address, there used to be lineups at the depot... now, nothing, just walk right in.... bargain hunters can still get good deals... but, as you said, with exchange, the Canadian peso will no longer get you great deals..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:15 am 

Because you bought in the US Canadian warranty will not apply.If there is a warranty issue you will have to re enter Trump land and send back to US Oppo for service,correct.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:19 am 

Well if the newest model doesn't fit your needs you could always pick up the 105D for a mere CAN $14,111 + $5 shipping over on Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/OPPO-BDP-105D-Universal-Audiophile-Blu-ray/dp/B00HZNKEXS/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493554638&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=oppo+blu+rap+player

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next