Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OPPO BDP-205
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:32 pm 

you are correct with all the bugs with the 203, I must have sent 20 emails back and forth with Oppo telling them mine was faulty... they refused to believe me.... I gave them a detailed list of all the things wrong.... all they suggested was I should clean my discs before playing them, even the brand new ones....!!!
I yelled so loud, that they finally took mine back and sent me a new one....and it has worked flawlessly since....now, if they only took that lesson of errors with the 203 and used them on the new one with corrections..... but that takes time... and time is money...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:09 pm 

drummermitchell wrote:
seems to be lots of bugs with the 203,looking at threads on AVS.
I still use my 95 and no problems.
Will wait to see what develops with users in the next few months with the 205.

I bought a 95 new and it still works great, for me to trade up to a 205 probably isn't worth it....but then again :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm 

darcman wrote:
drummermitchell wrote:
seems to be lots of bugs with the 203,looking at threads on AVS.
I still use my 95 and no problems.
Will wait to see what develops with users in the next few months with the 205.

I bought a 95 new and it still works great, for me to trade up to a 205 probably isn't worth it....but then again :mrgreen:

Unfortunately;

"....at this point, we are not taking any trade-ins."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:54 pm 

http://www.americanhifi.com/audio_product.php?id=216

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:22 pm 

On a related note, OPPO will fix old players for $89 plus one-way shipping to them and fix whatever is wrong with it AND give a 90-day warranty-is that not awesome support? So, let's say $150 CDN all in and you basically have a new player.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:41 am 

rustee wrote:
On a related note, OPPO will fix old players for $89 plus one-way shipping to them and fix whatever is wrong with it AND give a 90-day warranty-is that not awesome support? So, let's say $150 CDN all in and you basically have a new player.
I can confirm this excellent service from Oppo USA. I sent them my Oppo Nuforce93 NXE. They e-mailed me when it arrived. E-mailed what parts they were replacing. E-mailed me when I had to call and pay for return shipping [which was very fast]. Machine came back with 90 days warranty and New serial number. Can't beat that. Also had to send my Oppo 105 back to Solution where I bought it to have a Beatles cd that "stuck" in the loader. They were fast and very good. The cd had something "sticky" on it I hadn't noticed . They cleaned the player too. Great service. Not an issue with the 105. Asked Oppo USA if the new 205 had a jump in the RCA Stereo playback compared to the 105. They replied there was little improvement there despite the newer dacs. So the bigger improvements must be elsewheres. I'm staying with my 102 and the 93NXE. cheers, lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:43 am 

:oops: In the above post that should read 105, Not 102? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 am 

Whats the diff between the 203 and 205 besides UHD? I play DVD-Audio 5.1, SACD stereo & 5.1 blu-ray audio and your regular DTS Cd's. I cuurently have a 83SE which I like and as far as I know I am not missing anything in the way of being able to play any formats. The 83SE runs a little warm but haven't had any issues since I got the thing.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated to prepare for yet another upgrade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am 

zman wrote:
Whats the diff between the 203 and 205 besides UHD? I play DVD-Audio 5.1, SACD stereo & 5.1 blu-ray audio and your regular DTS Cd's. I cuurently have a 83SE which I like and as far as I know I am not missing anything in the way of being able to play any formats. The 83SE runs a little warm but haven't had any issues since I got the thing.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated to prepare for yet another upgrade
From my understanding the rca Stereo playback of regular cds is superior on the 105, 205 to the 203 or 103. The 105, 205 use the Saber dacs. And seem to do it well. Not an easy thing to implement as the Sabers can come off lean and detailed but Oppo uses them to advantage IMO. I like them. Now I also once owned a Oppo 83SE, a very nice warm sounding machine that was easy to live with and I believe it used earlier Saber dacs. A friend of mine, [at the time] had the Arcam FMJ23. He actually preferred my 83SE and I slightly preferred his machine. I thought the Arcam was more "finished" in its sound but the Oppo 83SE is a fine machine. But I suspect the 205 would be an improvement on its stereo RCA's on cd. Now always remember, what you hear when you listen is what matters to you. These are only my observations and opinions which are just that. Observations differ, just like tastes. Now Solutions in Toronto could really give you a better idea of how the new 203 and 205 would compare to the 83se. Hope this helps. Cheer and have a great weekend. regards, lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:36 pm 

I pre ordered my 205 yesterday and going to pick it up next Friday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:24 pm 

Also got the AV Solutions email on the $ 1,779 price. They gave me excellent service and are the best place for Oppo.

I just sold my 105 to purchase a Cambridge Audio 851N. I was using my OPPO mainly for DAC duties and the odd Blu-Ray movie. Now its all Netflix and rented cable movies in HD or Apple TV-Itunes rented movies. I see absolutely no motivation in going out to spend $ 29.95 in a hard-copy movie disk.

For those looking to buy the 205, I actually think the best move is to get a used 105 like the one I just sold for around 1,100. Things move fast in audio-video. The 105 provided a stunning picture, more than good enough, and of course the Sabre DAC if pretty good.

True 4K (versus upscaled 4k) is still in it's infancy, and 4k-capable players will be rolling out big-time by the end of 2017, with prices probably sharply declining by 2018...

Still, I want to get a Blu-Ray player to replace the Oppo. My choice: Yamaha BDA 1060, $350.00 taxes included. No OPPO battleship construction or weight, but a stellar performer for the price.

As good a bargain as the Oppo 105 was when it came out, dishing out close to 2K for a DVD player in 2017 just doesn't make any sense to me. The rules have changed, as well as consumer habits, and the OPPO may just have priced itself out of the market.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:40 pm 

milag wrote:
True 4K (versus upscaled 4k) is still in it's infancy, and 4k-capable players will be rolling out big-time by the end of 2017, with prices probably sharply declining by 2018...

The UDP-205 is not a true 4K machine? I can't see anything on the link supplied above that indicates 'upscaling'.

I agree - I'd definitely not spend 2K on a DVD player. I thought this was really a 4K machine....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:09 pm 

Both the 205 and 203 are true 4K machines, that also upscale DVDs and Blu Rays to 4K; and do so quite well from all accounts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:16 pm 
Premium User

PatTanya wrote:
milag wrote:

The UDP-205 is not a true 4K machine? I can't see anything on the link supplied above that indicates 'upscaling'.

I agree - I'd definitely not spend 2K on a DVD player. I thought this was really a 4K machine....

AFAIK, the 205 IS a true 4K machine. The only problem is the scarcity of true 4K content at this time, but that will be fixed in short order. As far as video disks go, the 205 is almost overkill until the content catches up and when it does, no $400 BluRay player will come even close to its performance. For audio, its increase in performance over a 105 will be incremental, therefore that last little bit of performance costs rise in exponential terms.

Oppo is not playing the biggest bang for the buck game anymore, not the high value one either. I see their only big marketing mistake being having abandoned their previous market niche. An updated 83/83SE or 93/95 combo at or near their original prices would really keep their sales figures high and profit margins even higher.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:33 pm 

Of course the Oppo 205 is a true 4K, along with the 203, many of us Oppo-owners have known this for awhile! I wrote that the 4k, meaning in general terms, is in it's infancy as a standard. I was NOT referring to the Oppo player. Meaning also that we won't need to spend anywhere near $2,000 to get this 4k technology. It has already started with the Oppo 201 at $ 700.00...

Since the older 105's raison d'être was the "audiophile" application with the better dac and XLR outputs, it was a great idea when it came out with few alternatives at it's price point.

In 2017, with physical media being replaced by streaming, there are of course many other options available.

Still, I am sure the 205 is a fantastic machine and I would gladly see one in my system. But it is just no longer competing against other manufacturer's players. It is competing with how different movie-watching has become. And on the "audiophile'' side, there are so many different options now available.

Buying the new Oppo 205 in 2917, is not unlike buying a 5k cd player, when you think of it. If you stream Tidal, Spotify Premium or high-rez downloads, you know what I mean.

Going back to Oppo, I do think the 203 at +- $700, is the better buy versus the 205.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next