Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:37 pm 

Hi. Owing to the number of source components I have connected to my Yamaha A/V receiver, I have run out of analog and digital inputs. However, I have a plethoa of unused HDMI inputs. I use one of the them to connect my Oppo BDP-103; however, I would like to be able to use one of the other unused HDMI inputs to connect a CD player I recently acquired. Does anyone know of a converter which would allow me to feed a digital audio-only signal to an HDMI input? The only ones of which I'm aware require a video (DVI or component video) input in addition to an audio input in order to produce an audio output along with video over the receiver's HDMI input. In other words, without the video piece, there is no audio. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 pm 

One of these might do the job!
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:04 pm 
Premium User

To my understanding, HDMI is primarily designed as a video transport with optional audio, therefore, it cannot carry audio without video present. So, no, your CD player cannot be hooked up to a HDMI input with an adaptor; it must use either standard analog inputs or a digital audio input (S/PDIF or Toslink).

-- 29 Mar 2017 21:05 --

tardis26 wrote:

Had one and no-go. No video, no audio.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:26 am 

Thanks for the replies. I figured this was the case (no video, no audio) but thanks for the confirmation.

I think I've hit on an alternative solution: most of the inputs on my Yamaha A/V receiver have both analog and digital connections, so it is possible to connect two components to the same input. In its input settings menu the Yamaha allows the receiver to auto select which connection to use (analog or digital) and gives priority to a digital over an analog signal. Connected to one of the inputs using the analog connection is a device which I rarely use, so what I will do is connect the CD player to this input's coaxial connection. The only catch is that if and when I want to use the device with the analog connection, I'll need to remember to not have the CD player powered on at the same time, so it doesn't override the auto selection of its digital output.

I guess my only remaining question is: why are there seven (!) HDMI connections on my receiver, since I only use on of them (for the Oppo connection)? Seems like a curious design choice...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 am 
Premium User

colinguenther wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I figured this was the case (no video, no audio) but thanks for the confirmation.

I think I've hit on an alternative solution: most of the inputs on my Yamaha A/V receiver have both analog and digital connections, so it is possible to connect two components to the same input. In its input settings menu the Yamaha allows the receiver to auto select which connection to use (analog or digital) and gives priority to a digital over an analog signal. Connected to one of the inputs using the analog connection is a device which I rarely use, so what I will do is connect the CD player to this input's coaxial connection. The only catch is that if and when I want to use the device with the analog connection, I'll need to remember to not have the CD player powered on at the same time, so it doesn't override the auto selection of its digital output.

I guess my only remaining question is: why are there seven (!) HDMI connections on my receiver, since I only use on of them (for the Oppo connection)? Seems like a curious design choice...

Not at all. Its because consumers are increasingly using multimedia devices with both video and audio and audio only devices are usually considered as obsolete or only used by true audio enthusiasts who are considered a niche market. This is why you have multimedia/HT/AV receivers as the main mass market product category and 2 channel audio gear all but non-existant in big box stores. Demand for multimedia connectivity far outstrips 2 channel connectivity, so manufacturers go in that direction.

Just a question here: why not use your Oppo for CDs to simplify things?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 am 

You might be interested in this discussion:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 pm 

Thanks everyone for your replies.

To answer the question as to why not use my Oppo for CDs: I do in fact use it for this purpose, feeding the signal to the Yamaha over an HDMI cable. The problem is that I have five CD players which I would like to be able to connect to the receiver and, with the other components I have (turntable, wireless DAC and tape deck) I've exhausted all of the available inputs.

The article about the Atlona HD570 HDMI "de-embedder" was interesting but unfortunately it has an HDMI input whereas I need an optical or coaxial input and an HDMI output.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:28 am 

A Muxlab 500431 4K uhd extender/extractor will allow the extraction of digital audio from an hdmi source. Check out there products on line.
MC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:39 am 
Premium User

mikech wrote:
A Muxlab 500431 4K uhd extender/extractor will allow the extraction of digital audio from an hdmi source. Check out there products on line.
MC

Interesting product and interesting product lineup mikech. Lots of really unique products to solve those one in a blue moon situations that come up from time to time and that have no solutions in the regular retail channel. How did you come across them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:18 am 

I may get in trouble for this, but what about using something like a DENON DAC-500 (5 digital inputs)? I know that by using something like this, it is not simply a switch but..............
Or a simple RCA analog switch box? (I know, more cabling, more connectors etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:28 am 
Premium User

dmk wrote:
I may get in trouble for this, but what about using something like a DENON DAC-500 (5 digital inputs)? I know that by using something like this, it is not simply a switch but..............
Or a simple RCA analog switch box? (I know, more cabling, more connectors etc.)

Why would you get in trouble? All you are doing is offering up 2 classic solutions to the problem: one for digital signals and the other for analog signals. The problem comes up with the combination of older sources with newer digital based switching or newer digital only sources with older, analog only sources. We just happen to be in a transition decade between the 2 which is why these sorts of questions seem to crop up more and more often recently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 am 

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. As indicated, I need a device which will accept coaxial or digital inputs and has an HDMI output.

An analog switch box would allow me to connect two components with analog outputs to a single analog input on my receiver (or, alternatively, has digital inputs and outputs). However, as mentioned earlier, I have found another solution. If I have two components connected to the same input on my receiver, where one is digital and the other analog, the receiver gives priority to the digital signal over the analog one. When I want to play the analog source, all I have to do is remember to shut down the component connected digitally to the receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:54 am 

In order to strip out the audio signal from HDMI, you need two boxes:

1. an audio de-embedder (like this one: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2&AID=11051853&PID=5567334&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=Skimlinks-2617611), and

2. an EDID box that 'fools' the HDMI source into thinking that it's video signal is connected to a display (like this one: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-edidpn.jsp?prod_id=14859). The Geffen box sends back a video 'handshake' to your source. Without it, it won't transmit *any* signal.

HTH.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:44 am 

When I was working we had suppliers that carried these lines and others. As you mention I seem to always find a need for weird problems.
MC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 pm 

Hi. Thanks (again) for the replies. As previously indicated in my previous posts, what I need is a device that has digital or analog inputs and an HDMI output. Unfortunately the Monoprice device appears to have digital rather than an HDMI output.