Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:00 am 

...yeah...it's probably not relevant to anyone's situation, circumstance...or needs...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:03 am 

moinau wrote:
You people realize this post is from 02 Dec 2016 :mrgreen:

95% of the discussions on here I had when I was 20 years old in audio stores. I'm 52

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Nakamichi MB10 perhaps!

Stay Far Far away from any Nakamichi Music Bank CD Players. They are a mechanical nightmare and thankfully most of them have failed and been relegated to the scrap pile. The DAC's are thin sounding added to the mechanical disasters plus they are over 20 years old means stay away!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 am 

Old post but did the OP consider just repairing the FMJ. Those were very decent units.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 am 
Premium User

The problem with old "Godzilla" players, say 20yrs old or so for arguments sake, is that even if they are used in regular service over that time period is they don't have long to live, comparatively. And most of those lovely transports by Philips and Sony are now extinct. In any case replacing a transport or laser, defeats the whole purpose of a cost effective CD player any way... Cambridge and Marantz both make cd players under 700.00 try or try stay mid level within the past decade...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:50 am 

I've got a Rega Planet 2000 that I am happy with. Bought used here several years ago... Probably 6 years. AFAIK it has the original laser assembly. Haven't had trouble reading regular CDs or burnt CDs. Might not do MP3, or SACD, but solid overall sound. Paid very little for it, and I heard they often have laser pickup problems. But, I've been happy with it. Recently saw a Saturn or Apollo for a reasonable price, used... But haven't been able to justify as I don't listen to a huge selection of CDs...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:52 am 

True enough but if one is willing to take a chance on older gear, you can find some really nice sounding components. My Stax Quattro II is a smooth and musical sounding cdp without any digititis. If one considers DVD players as well my Faroudja dv1000 sounds very nice as well. I have two of them in case one has it's laser die.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:36 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
deltaV wrote:
Regarding Shanling, had CD-T80, one of the worst digital sources in my life (I auditioned over a hundred different CD players in the last 10 years).

Once you upgraded the tubes, opamps and caps this unit was a giant-killer.
People who listened to mine swore they were listening to a turntable. One of my acquaintances, who was an audio tech for 40 years (now retired), thought it was the best sounding CPDP he had ever heard (and he has listened to a LOT of them).
I've since upgraded to an Esoteric DV-50S which, while more revealing than the T80, isn't as 'warm' sounding.
In the end, it all depends on what you like, I suppose?

The stock model sounds mediocre, that's all, flat and boring, no life. For the brand new price, a big no-no.
Even for the used price, that's a big question, DCD-1500 sounds better, for sure, for less cash.
There are many other CD players (hell, even changers like Marantz CC-3000) that sound better.
Actually, as a matter of fact, Discman D-5 or D-802K by Sony sounds better than stock CD-T80.
Just listen with reference gear.

Upgrading the tubes, opamps and caps will make it an entirely different model, not CD-T80 anymore.
Also the expense is significant, ~$250 in parts + labor, if done right ?
Besides, the build quality on that machine is chinese, and I learned the hard way to stay away from anything stereo made in China.

On the other hand, Philips CD-880 sounds great (world class, to be exact) in stock form, as long as it's low mileage (hard to get like that, sure).

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:16 pm 

Any SACD player. Fitst gen PS3 for $20.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 pm 

Just to ad - the Naim CD 5 (i) (i2) (is) are very nice sounding players.

The 5i are down around $500 - $600 now.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:01 pm 
Premium User

AHarris wrote:
Just to ad - the Naim CD 5 (i) (i2) (is) are very nice sounding players.

The 5i are down around $500 - $600 now.

Great CD player(s)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:09 pm 

The 5i are down around $500 - $600 now.[/quote]
Great CD player(s)[/quote]

So tuneful!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 pm 

mac wrote:
My Arcam FMJ decided to act up and is now relegated to the little system, so am now in market for its replacement. Gonna save up for a while, but need something in the "clearance" department ....under $300 maybe. Hoping there's a jem out there in tha market that outperforms its ticket price. Any suggestions ? Thanx folks!

My Arcam CD92 decided to "act" up as well.
I hooked it up to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 and it sounds pretty good. If the Arcam's functions are up to snuff a good DAC can be a cost effective way to go.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:40 am 

You can find a Pioneer DVD-V7400 player for under $100 with great results.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:01 am 

I have an Arcam CD73 that I am using in a second system that is very warm and detailed , older unit but very low hours .One of the best CD players I have had in my system, replaced it with an Enlightened Audio Designs T-1000 transport and a DSP 7000 MKII DAC {game changer}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next