Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Teac UD-501 Review
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:08 pm 

If anyone is curious about the Teac UD-501 (there's been a few of them on CAM lately), here are my thoughts:

http://audioreview.ca/Default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewID=7660

Post subject: Re: Teac UD-501 Review
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:16 pm 

apparently,some get trouble with usb...

I buy a RME babyface instead. very happy with it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:17 pm 

USB was OK for me. The UD-301 was a PITA with USB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:29 pm 

dmitchell wrote:
If anyone is curious about the Teac UD-501 (there's been a few of them on CAM lately), here are my thoughts:

Interesting review.
Have been considering this unit.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:35 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
dmitchell wrote:

Interesting review.
Have been considering this unit.
Thanks

Glad it helped in some way.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:59 am 

Owning a UD-501 for the better part of a year now I can say you are pretty much spot on with your review. I managed to score mine on sale before the price hike. But even at its current MSRP I feel this is a good valued DAC.

Haven’t heard the Headphone out of the M-DAC but will say the headphone out on the UD-501 is adequate at best. It can accommodate hard to drive cans but for serious listening one should look at a dedicated HP amplifier. I use my UD-501 with a Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp in headphone only computer fronted system. But for day to day computing (youtube, video etc..) I do use the headphone out of the 501 with a pair of easy to drive Denons. Critical listening is obviously handled by the Bryston.

DSD is a bit of a hit or miss but that has more to do with the media than the DAC. Some sounds absolutely phenomenal where as others are no different than their Redbook counterparts.

Just noticed the Windows driver has been updated to 108e. No mention of any improvements or bug fixes (the original driver was already pretty solid). I suspect the update is for Win 10 but to note the older version 103 driver works fine with Win 10. Will give it a try later today and report back any differences. Anyone updating the driver should unplug the device from your PC, remove the old driver then install the new following Teac’s instructions.

The Teac media player blows in comparison to the likes of Foobar or jRiver. I would only recommend it to anyone who wishes to try DSD but doesn’t want to mess with the settings of their current player.

All in all, the UD-501 is a very solid performer and highly recommended to anyone looking for a ~$1K DAC. Although I’m in no rush to replace mine, I would be interested from those who have compared it to the newer UD-503 model.

Great review!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:16 am 

Thanks for the review. I just recently bought the UD-503 but have not heard the UD-501. I find that your review also matches up with what I hear in the UD-503. It uses a different DAC chip (two Verita AK-4090 chips) and sounds clear and dynamic. I also use it for primarily cd's with no filtering or upsampling. I do have the gain set to +6 dB as the music is a little more dynamic this way even with the volume set at the same level when set at 0 dB.

I was looking for a warmer sounding DAC but with my tube amps the sound should be more to my liking. I have only had the DAC for a week so it is still breaking in (if you believe in that sort of thing). The headphone amp is said to have been improved and the analog outs now have a variable volume so it can be used as a basic preamp. It is a very nice DAC but in the back of my mind is the question as to whether an Ayon CD-5 would be more to my liking (at 3x the cost). And on it goes...

Last edited by Albert on Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:20 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Spot on! Nice review, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:58 am 

planetofsound wrote:
Spot on! Nice review, thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Are you guys still carrying Teac DACs? I'd really like to hear the UD-503 sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 am 

FYI - I just replaced my Teac UD-501 with a Gustard x20Pro (non-USB)/Singxer SU-1 combo.

This combination is hard to beat for US$1,230 (~CAD$1,625). Free shipping.

I compared the Teac against the Gustard/Singxer right out of the box. The bass in the Teac is much heavier and 'bloatier' (hard to describe) in comparison.

While listening to the 2xDSD Jazz at the Pawnshop on the Gustard/Singxer, on the track 'Fascinating Rhythm', you can hear George Riedel (bass player) bending the notes when he hits them. On the Teac, it sounds like he's simply hitting them straight on.

I have a generic USB cable running from my Asus VivoPC to the Singxer. The Singxer is connected to the Gustard via a short (1 ft?) I2S HDMI cable, which is then fed to my preamp via RCA interconnects. I haven't played with the filter settings yet.

I'm still burning in the Gustard/Singxer but so far, this combo has exceeded my expectations. I haven't done any mods (although I plan to).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:38 am 

There is a used 501 on Planet of Sounds site right now. If anyone is lookin