Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:25 am 

Oh, I didn't know NAD is Node2's sister. That's what you mean. They should have a their house sound too then. NAD should kick ass also. Yes I like node2's sound, more so then Sony 5400. In the end, it all worked out for me, luckily.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:42 pm 

rotaryphoneuser wrote:
Ok. I made my mind up. Bryston bda 2 or 3, if I save up more. Just have to wait. Thanks all.

I was never personally in love with the BDA-2 I owned for almost a year. It was a definite improvement on the BDA-1, and it was better across the board (with a lot more connectivity!) than the DAC in the Node 2 but only incrementally so. Not enough to justify the BDA-2 price, IMO. The BDA-3 was/is better still, but really pricey. I think Bryston does a lot of things well and some things as well as any other company anywhere, but the BDA-3, while very good, to my ears doesn’t quite rise to the sound quality of the North Star Design Incanto, the Naim DAC V1, the Teac UD-503 or the Schiit Yggdrasil, among others.

The Teac UD-503 is an acquired tasted for some listeners because, I think, the AKM chips it uses are an acquired taste. Teac’s implementation is very direct, in many respects similar to Naim’s implementation of it’s chosen DAC chipset.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 am 

rotaryphoneuser wrote:
Plain and simple. I want a DAC that is step or two clearly better than my Sony 5400es CD player. I will still use the Sony as a transport. Why do I want a new DAC, you ask? I bought a bluesound node2 and that thing sounds damn good playing spotify. And I like it better than Sony.

Did DAC technology advanced that far since my CD player's introduction?

Did anyone had a CD player similar to mine and gone on to bertter thing ?

I have full tube pre amp, power amp and even a tube phono amp so for the DAC, I would like a little bit forward presentation. Not warm or laid back. I think my tubes will do that for me down the chain.

I'm leaning towards Bryson's new bda 3 used. Good idea?? I like to keep my budget around $1500 but more for right DAC.

Cheers

I hate to throw a bucket of cold water onto your idea, but be prepared for a let down when you connect a DAC to a Bluetooth streaming device. I stream Spotify premium with my iPad over my Cary DAC 200 TS over Bluetooth and it sounds terrible. Practically no bass to speak of and highs are harsh. The problem was less profound when I connect my iPad to the DAC with a USB cable. I attribute the sound degradation to the compression used in Bluetooth streaming.

A DAC would probably expose the imperfections in Bluetooth streaming.

See if you can borrow a DAC from someone and try it out before you blow a bunch of coins.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:45 pm 

HiFiholic wrote:
rotaryphoneuser wrote:
Plain and simple. I want a DAC that is step or two clearly better than my Sony 5400es CD player. I will still use the Sony as a transport. Why do I want a new DAC, you ask? I bought a bluesound node2 and that thing sounds damn good playing spotify. And I like it better than Sony.

Did DAC technology advanced that far since my CD player's introduction?

Did anyone had a CD player similar to mine and gone on to bertter thing ?

I have full tube pre amp, power amp and even a tube phono amp so for the DAC, I would like a little bit forward presentation. Not warm or laid back. I think my tubes will do that for me down the chain.

I'm leaning towards Bryson's new bda 3 used. Good idea?? I like to keep my budget around $1500 but more for right DAC.

Cheers

I hate to throw a bucket of cold water onto your idea, but be prepared for a let down when you connect a DAC to a Bluetooth streaming device. I stream Spotify premium with my iPad over my Cary DAC 200 TS over Bluetooth and it sounds terrible. Practically no bass to speak of and highs are harsh. The problem was less profound when I connect my iPad to the DAC with a USB cable. I attribute the sound degradation to the compression used in Bluetooth streaming.

A DAC would probably expose the imperfections in Bluetooth streaming.

See if you can borrow a DAC from someone and try it out before you blow a bunch of coins.

I dodged the bucket of water. No let down here. I been running bda 3 for close to 3 weeks now and I am very happy. I hooked up my Sony 5400 CD player and bluesound node2 and it's better then using their own DAC. I went back and forth and bryston sounds better. No question there. Ymmv. I Don't know about Bluetooth thingy, I just use tablet to control node2 and node2 is hooked up to bryston via coax cable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:06 pm 

Try a BIS Audio AC20WG power cable on the BDA-3 If you ever get the itch to upgrade. It will keep you satisfied for sure!