Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:11 am 

Bandy wrote:
doctor_big wrote:
Bandy wrote:
Why would Apple (or anyone else for that matter) hand out any $ to PC user who chooses a format that iTunes does not support?
I do not understand your logic. Apple GAVE you Windows version of iTunes for free. Why would you feel that they owe you anything? On related subject, WAV is an uncompressed file format, FLAC is lossless compression, very much like Apple lossless (ALAC). I can't see why would Apple rewrite the code of iTunes to support another lossless file format.

Sheesh. Do I have to spell it out? Apple hamstrung older iphones, slowed them down in order to entice their owners to upgrade. Right now they're getting raked over the coals for it. Do you think they'd be above making other formats sound inferior to AAC, their proprietary format?

As an iPhone’s (or any other phone) battery gets worse over time, it’s unable to handle the peaks of processing power, which would cause the phone to suddenly turn off. In order to prevent this problem, Apple is making these iPhones slower during these processing peaks in order to smooth them out.

No conspiracy, but feel free to hate Apple, its a tradition :cry: :cry:

Can’t say I’ve experienced a smartphone with an aged battery suddenly shut down during peaked processing. Although some have displayed degraded performance as they age – this is a natural progression with many tech. Saying that I personally feel Apple approached this in the wrong way. Their communication was next to nil and their execution should have been in the way of informing their customers through a OS alert of an aging battery that could benefit from a replacement. No body wants their technology to be capped because the manufacture/developer feels it’s beneficial. Apple made a mistake, they have learned from it and hopefully will use this experience to improve customer satisfaction. And in Apple’s defense, many have also made similar mistakes! Welcome to the new world of technology!

-- Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm --

KJT1 wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
Interesting, given that the gear I noticed the difference on was my Bryston BDP player feeding my Bryston BDA-3. I guess Bryston must be crap gear and well we are on the subject, I only wish my BDP player was as fast and glitch free as my Cambridge Audio CXU. The CXU loads twice as fast and comes with a great app for IPad and in my experience, very good SQ as well.

Some are too quick to point out faults with other systems without knowing the exact details. Despite that I made no claims on being able to hear the difference between FLAC vs WAV, he jumped to the conclusion that I am having a problem therefore speculated that I am using what he considers inferior gear.

Back to the WAV/FLAC difference thing, it's not that I actually hear a difference. It's that I find if I play the music using WAV files I tend to listen much longer. For some reason even though there is no obvious difference ( that I can hear ) music played back from a FLAC rip wears me out faster, go figure?. Anyway, storage space is stupid cheap and WAV files play on all my toys so why not?. :D

Interesting. Have you experienced the same with material that was once FLAC but converted/re-ripped to WAV? Also agree that storage is no longer an issue as it once use to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:

Interesting. Have you experienced the same with material that was once FLAC but converted/re-ripped to WAV? Also agree that storage is no longer an issue as it once use to be.

No, I've never tried that experiment. I originally ripped everything to WAV at 44/16 and then when I read a few discussions I went back and ripped some of my favourites to FLAC at the same quality settings. Then when picking something to play with my IPad I would occasionally select the FLAC version and every single time I did I failed to make it to the end of the record. The sensation if you can call it that was that the FLAC rip somehow seemed more aggressive or maybe fatiguing. I don't know why and to be honest I don't really worry about it because, don't ya know... I just use WAV instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:42 am 

ripblade wrote:
I suppose all good things have to end at some point, the 'good' being the free aspect of it. Monetization is the end goal for most endeavors, Cics, too. I wonder if he sold out to the dude at Apple clucking about the superiority of memory players... :lol:

Was a viable option back in the day but, once the major media players included memory/RAM playback options a few years ago, the end was near.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6