Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 pm 

I usually lurk on this forum but have to comment on this thread....I just bought an Azur 851a and an Azur 851c that is (refurbished and inspected) from a vendor on this web site with full warranty. If I had seen this thread I would have had second thoughts. I seems that I always find out after the fact. Should have asked about Cambridge before I purchased....oh well my fault cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 am 

I've always had great luck with Cambridge stuff. The 640C V2 is a great sounding CDP. I put it up against my Bryston DAC back in the day, and it was not left wanting. That being said, that particular model is long in the tooth, in CD player years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 am 

trazz wrote:
I usually lurk on this forum but have to comment on this thread....I just bought an Azur 851a and an Azur 851c that is (refurbished and inspected) from a vendor on this web site with full warranty. If I had seen this thread I would have had second thoughts. I seems that I always find out after the fact. Should have asked about Cambridge before I purchased....oh well my fault cheers

Enjoy it...free of anxiety...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 am 

Hi,

trazz wrote: 'I just bought an Azur 851a and an Azur 851c that is (refurbished and inspected) from a vendor on this web site with full warranty.'

Enjoy them. They sound wonderful, but when they get long in the tooth, think about replacing them. If something fails out of warranty then call the original vendor and ask them to get a repair quote and have them ship the item to Montreal where there is a service depot.

Despite many repairs, would I buy another Cambridge CD player? Probably.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 am 

Years ago I bought a Cambridge Audio 540D dvd player. It worked with no issues I replaced it with an Oppo BDP 80.
My cd player, an Arcam CD92, started making weird noises then quit working altogether.
I pressed the 540D into duty. it wasn't too bad at all (as a cd player).
Eventually I bought a Cambridge Audio 651C. So far it hasn't had any issues (about three years old). It sounds pretty good for a budget unit.
And just a few months ago I acquired a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100.
It works like a charm. I run my iPod through it. Resurrected the Arcam by running it through the DacMagic, and ran my computer through it as well to great effect.
So my batting average with Cambridge Audio gear has been pretty good. With all that being said I'd still say approach Cambridge Audio with caution. When they work, they perform quite well.
My good luck with Cambridge Audio, seems to be just that though, luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 am 

I ran their little 351a amp with no issues and my CXN and CXU have given no issue either. Touch wood... :D.

Oops, I just remembered that when my CXN was shipped that the remote was faulty. The distributor shipped a replacement right away and all has been well since.

Ironically the only other gear I've had issue with was a couple of old Bryston amps but they where handled right away by Bryston so no complaints there either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:52 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
Years ago I bought a Cambridge Audio 540D dvd player. It worked with no issues I replaced it with an Oppo BDP 80.
My cd player, an Arcam CD92, started making weird noises then quit working altogether.
I pressed the 540D into duty. it wasn't too bad at all (as a cd player).
Eventually I bought a Cambridge Audio 651C. So far it hasn't had any issues (about three years old). It sounds pretty good for a budget unit.
And just a few months ago I acquired a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100.
It works like a charm. I run my iPod through it. Resurrected the Arcam by running it through the DacMagic, and ran my computer through it as well to great effect.
So my batting average with Cambridge Audio gear has been pretty good. With all that being said I'd still say approach Cambridge Audio with caution. When they work, they perform quite well.
My good luck with Cambridge Audio, seems to be just that though, luck.

I also bought a 540D DVD player, but I got lucky. It failed right out of the (sealed) box. I say "lucky" because I returned it to the dealer and exchanged it for another player brand and never looked back. I have a few friends who weren't so lucky though ... mostly with Cambridge Audio CD players.

To me, the "If something fails out of warranty then call the original vendor and ask them to get a repair quote and have them ship the item to Montreal where there is a service depot" advice is just silly. I have a prehistoric Sony CDP-990 that has NEVER needed service ... in or out of warranty. My advice is that "If something fails out of warranty then" toss it in the dumpster and let some gear-flipper deal with it.

The only thing that I would even consider buying is a Cambridge Audio phono preamp ... and only for a spare if it was very cheap. They got a LOT of great press when they first went on sale, BUT there were few reasonably-priced competitors at the time. Since then, a number of better-sounding units have surpassed them in the marketplace ... and you no longer see any of those glowing reviews about their newer models, that really haven't seen much (if any) improvement since the original 640P was released to such acclaim.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 am 

I’ve had 2 cd players and both had issues as well as an integraded amp that had a volume control with a mind of it’s own. Never again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am 

...you can't argue against the quality control issues (I've included my own story)...but...what about their ability to (re)produce great redbook cd sound? ...I'd bet my left nut (slightly damaged by shrapnel) that if you listened to my system (without knowing brands) you'd simply say..."can you put on xxxx?" and "can I have another beer?" :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 am 

Stone wrote:
...you can't argue against the quality control issues (I've included my own story)...but...what about their ability to (re)produce great redbook cd sound? ...I'd bet my left nut (slightly damaged by shrapnel) that if you listened to my system (without knowing brands) you'd simply say..."can you put on xxxx?" and "can I have another beer?" :D

The point is that there are a lot of great-sounding players that ARE reliable.
Your thesis seems to be that you can have one or the other, but not both.
Smarten up! :lol:

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am 

:lol:...agreed...wrong...no way! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 pm 

Some people just don't want to grow. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
Some people just don't want to grow. 8)

...ain' it the truth...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm 

AuralXTC wrote:
On Friday I took delivery of a 640C V2 in excellent condition that was very well packed for expedited shipping by Canada Post.

When I first set it up yesterday/Saturday the only front panel controls that worked were Power On/Off, Stop and Scan/Forward/Backwards. But Open/Close and Play did not work at all (had to use remote), and when I hit Play/Pause to pause, it acts like Stop. :cry: Thankfully the remote seems to work!

Seller suggested taking off the top-cover and seeing if one of the parallel-type cables was loose as he had a similar problem with a integrated amp that was shipped. So I just took off the top an hour ago, and although there are parallel-type cables on the inside of the front-panel controls, there was no visible connectors to fiddle with.

BUT, when I powered-up guess what? With the top-cover off all the front-panel controls are now working properly!!! So, I put the top-cover back on and all front-panel controls are still working... BUT after testing for a few cycles, there are intermittent problems again, where Open/Close and Play is sometimes working sometimes not, and Pause is again sometimes acting like Stop. Took off the top-cover and now A-OK... But for how long! :?

Any ideas on an explanation and easy fix as Seller has said he will refund, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of re-packing return shipping.

Thanks to all in advance for your input/advice.

It sounded like there's a cable loose somewhere. Check all the cables and make sure that they are properly connected and snug.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 am 

that model has a resistor that tends to fail causing the problem you describe. do a google on it and you will find a detailed fix. if you can't do it yourself, it is worth getting a tech to do it. should be pennies for the resistor and an hour of labour. well worth the fix.

jp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next