Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 pm 

I am on my second BDP-95 and both have had the same issue which leads me to believe that it is a error on my settings/connections or potentially my Denon AVR-4311.

When using the RCA analog outputs, occasionally the CD playback will be too fast or the time counter second-by-second will be moving at uneven intervals. It seems to happen completely at random and as far as I can tell will only happen when I also have an HDMI cable connected between the two units. If I unplug the HDMI from the Oppo, it seems fine. Just yesterday for the first time, it was replaying the same track three times in a row without the repeat option being selected, I manually went to the next track and from there it was fine.

The Denon was purchased as a refurb and needed to have the trigger output repaired when I first got it, but aside from that, I have noticed no issues with it, but I am starting to suspect that it may be the cause. I do not have another HDMI AVR to test the Oppo with.

I have been on contact with Oppo, and they gave me a few suggestions, but nothing has worked and they say they have never heard of this problem before and are suggesting I send it in for service. I do not think that this is necessary though since I have had two units with the same issue.

It may very well be something that I have setup incorrectly as I am unfamiliar with many of the settings on the Oppo.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 pm 

Very odd....
What happens if you play the CD through the HDMI connection, rather than the RCA?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:40 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
Very odd....
What happens if you play the CD through the HDMI connection, rather than the RCA?

Haven't tried that yet, but am experimenting with it now and thus far, it's playing fine. I was using a PS3 for CD and BD playback for years through HDMI and never an issue.

One other thing I've noticed is that often (but not always) when CD playback is too fast, the HDMI indicator is on, on the display of the Oppo. Typically, it is off when I'm listening to the analog outputs. Is it supposed to be on whenever an HDMI cable is connected or only when that connection is being used?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 am 

It's possible that the Oppo is simply overheating, which will cause it to operate erratically. Check to make sure there is no dust build-up on the fan port on the rear. Also, is the unit stacked with other heat producing components or situated in a tight spot with minimum air circulation?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 am 

pritch wrote:
It's possible that the Oppo is simply overheating, which will cause it to operate erratically. Check to make sure there is no dust build-up on the fan port on the rear. Also, is the unit stacked with other heat producing components or situated in a tight spot with minimum air circulation?

Nope. No sign of dust around the fan and it is on a shelf by itself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 am 

brendelac,

I have a Oppo BDP-93 and have found that at times it will operate erratically when both the HDMI and RCA's are connected simultaneously. I believe it is due to HDMI and how it "handshakes" between components. When I encounter problems I just disconnect one connection from the Oppo and reconnect when finished.

It's not a setting or your receiver. It's like the Oppo get's confused as to which connection you are using when HDMI is connected.

This is my experience.

Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:19 am 

Audiois1st wrote:
brendelac,

I have a Oppo BDP-93 and have found that at times it will operate erratically when both the HDMI and RCA's are connected simultaneously. I believe it is due to HDMI and how it "handshakes" between components. When I encounter problems I just disconnect one connection from the Oppo and reconnect when finished.

It's not a setting or your receiver. It's like the Oppo get's confused as to which connection you are using when HDMI is connected.

This is my experience.

Audiois1st

I agree. It is an HDMI issue. Turn off HDMI audio in the setup screen and see what happens.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
Audiois1st wrote:
brendelac,

This is my experience.

Audiois1st

I agree. It is an HDMI issue. Turn off HDMI audio in the setup screen and see what happens.

Hi
I too have an Oppo 95 since new...never encountered this (touch wood)
Just a thought on the above quote, when playing your cd did you engage the pure audio to have the processor dedicate to the audio?
not sure...just a thought

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm 

warhorse wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
Audiois1st wrote:
brendelac,

This is my experience.

Audiois1st

Hi
I too have an Oppo 95 since new...never encountered this (touch wood)
Just a thought on the above quote, when playing your cd did you engage the pure audio to have the processor dedicate to the audio?
not sure...just a thought

Yes, pure audio was engaged.

I am away for a few days but will look at the HDMI audio settings when I get back.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:21 pm 

HDMI Audio was set to AUTO. I changed it to OFF. I also swapped HDMI cables. The first disc I played sounded fine to my ears but the time counter was erratic. Also, the HDMI light was on. Before I began playing the CD, my TV was also on. After I turned the TV off, The Oppo clicked, the HDMI light went out and the playback speed and time counter were increased (too fast!).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:37 pm 

send I to oppo for repair, because nothing else will make your counter go irratic only the player itself. and after let us know if oppo have good service. I'm a oppo player also. and touch on wood ounce in a while it freeze mabe ounce avery 4 month.i also notice the counter going e wire.at the same time, I just power back off and on and it is fine every time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:12 am 

:D Oppo stands by their product. I've had no issues with my 105. However I do have a oppo 93 that failed under warrenty. Was repaired by Oppo in California as it had the Nuforce NXE board. Than the unit failed again [out of warrenty] and Oppo charged me only $79US for parts and repairs. [I had to pay shipping to the US.{it was bought there]. They gave the unit a new box, new loader, and some other parts. A new serial number and a new 90 day warranty. They kept me in the loop all the time with e-mails and quick service. But this past Sept the unit failed [now out of warranty] and shows "hello". But will not play. So I figure the unit was a lemon in the making. I did inform Oppo of that...But Oppo said I should send it to SoulutionsAV for repair. However I think I've wasted enough money on the unit. As I said the 105 works great. This takes nothing away from the excellent service I did have with Oppo USA. I've bought a 980, 83SE and 105 all from SoulutionsAV and am very pleased with them. Highly recommended. So by all means get in touch with Oppo. They will respond quickly. cheers, lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 am 

I just purchased this 95 from a fellow CAM member with perfect feedback who delivered it right to my doorstep. Add to that that my last 95 was doing the same thing as soon as I received it and I can be fairly confident that it isn't a defective unit.