Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

NOLA Contender. 90 db/watt/meter, 30-35KHz. Small foot print, four foot floor stander. Piano-cherry finish is gorgeous with high spousal approval. Perfect scale for your space.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 am 

Deluxe20 wrote:
My apologies. I should probably have set a budget. I cannot spend more on speakers than I would spend on a vacation. The Tannoy's are beautiful, but I should keep my cost on a used set of speakers to under 1000.00 unless Its a little more and too good to pass up. I'm just beginning to assemble a better system...

Fair enough. Here are a pair of Coincident Triumph's $800: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649397587-coincident-triumph-signature-cherry-veneer-wupgrades/

Frequency Response: 45 hz - 35 khz (+/- 3 db)
Impedance : Flat 8 Ω
Sensitivity: 94 db @1M - 1Watt
Power Requirements: 3 - 200 W

They'll sound best on decent stands.

Review: http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/Triumph-Signature-EMLG052009.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I believe the OP is looking for floor standers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:11 am 

Nola contenders look beautiful and Canadian made. I would just have to find a good used pair for the right price. I think they are on my list to watch. Thanks

The coincident triumph signature are good looking with very good reviews... but I just havent warmed up to having bookshelf speakers... maybe as I mature into this hobby. I do appreciate the suggestion as l will eventually want a system in my office that will require a smaller speaker. I want to have 4 or 5 speakers on my list to search for giving me the best opportunity for value per dollar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 am 

The OP is also looking at speakers $1000 or less. I’m sure the Nola’s are brilliant speakers but they might be a tad out of his budget. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 am 

Sorry, i mixed them up... the coincident speakers are canadian... not the nolans...

Thanks again for all of the advice. I'm learning a lot as I look the speakers up.

Please don't groan... I am interested in a reply... How are Realistic mach 1's that were made from 1976 to 1984. I wanted a pair in high school (80's) but never hear of them anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:31 am 

A problem with vintage speakers is maintenance. Surrounds dry out and capacitors may need replacing. If you are ok with that, I’m sure an old pair of Mach 1’s would be fun. But the trend for vintage equipment seems to dictate a higher than normal price.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Dear sthomas,
Budget was quoted as the price of a vacation. The Contenders I have in mind are previously owned and going for a fraction of their original MSRP.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 am 

I dont want to refoam or recap crossovers. When I eventually find the right speakers they must be ready to go. I'm reminissing about my days in radio shack and mach 1s. I will not be buying them but wondered what someone else's opinion was of them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 am 

Prosoundman wrote:
Dear sthomas,
Budget was quoted as the price of a vacation. The Contenders I have in mind are previously owned and going for a fraction of their original MSRP.

Define vacation? A $100 camping trip is technically a vacation - just as a week in Monaco to watch the GP is at $20k per night. But the OP did detail his budget to be under $1000.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48480&start=0#p768617

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 am 

Its all good. I had never heard of nola before today and they look nice.

My comment regarding the cost of a vacation was regarding some tannoys that were suggested. I believe when I looked they were over 9000.00 dollars... thats restored antique tractor money. (I also collect antique tractors). That was when I put out a budget number many posts ago... the budget wasn't in my original post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 am 

Deluxe20 wrote:
I dont want to refoam or recap crossovers. When I eventually find the right speakers they must be ready to go. I'm reminissing about my days in radio shack and mach 1s. I will not be buying them but wondered what someone else's opinion was of them.

Back in the day I also lusted after a pair of Mach Ones but ended up buying a big honking pair of Cerwin Vegas instead ( very fond memories of those ). Just recently I saw an ad for a pair of Mach Ones so I figured, why not?. I went and had a look and listen and couldn't believe how dull and slow they sounded. It was a bit of a downer as I kinda thought they would be cool in the garage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:25 pm 

Deluxe20 wrote:
Please don't groan... I am interested in a reply... How are Realistic mach 1's that were made from 1976 to 1984. I wanted a pair in high school (80's) but never hear of them anymore.

With their crossover components replaced and woofers re-foamed, they sound pretty good... for a $150 speaker.

The problem is that unless someone has already upgraded them, you would easily end up spending $250 -$300 on the cost of getting them upgraded. If that's the sound you crave, then fine, spend the money. But at that price point, there are many other speakers that would out perform the Mach 1's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 pm 

BTW I'm using a Luxman R-115 with a pair of vintage Celestion Ditton 44's (purchased 6 years ago for $50/pr. they used to retail for $1200) :D ( circa 1976) on stands about 36" high, and I augmented them with a Mordaunt Short MS 409W that I managed to get for a very (I mean verrry) sweet deal.
BTW, Celestion mostly always used Elna caps in their crossovers, and since the surround is a Santoprene, all that needs to be done every 5 years is to turn the woofer 180 degrees, to prevent the voice coil from sagging.
I really like that Variable Notch Filter system on the MS409W, it works very well, but.., maybe one day I'll upgrade it to a SuperCube also. :wink:
I have the Sub dialed down fairly low, just to augment the 44's a bit, but not to dominate the bass.
The Luxman is about to be changed to a Marantz SR8012.., fairly soon I hope..., I need HDMI switching, and I've been contemplating modifying the crossover to allow for Bi-Amp operation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:12 pm 

I think I took my own post off topic with my mach 1 reminissing. I like many of the suggestions offered and have been diligently trying to research them.
The Celestion Ditton's were mentioned earlier. They look pretty nice and I appreciate that you have it hooked up to a Luxman R-115 and are happy with the match. I also really appreciate sharing your knowledge of the 44's. Thanks for the input.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next