Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Luxman R-115 Repair
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:26 am 

Hi folks,

I have a Luxman R-115 with the left channel cutting out. No difference when manipulating CD Direct, tone in/out, or balance pot. Seems to be the volume pot. Suggestions? I have not attempted De-Oxit or WD-40 on anything just yet.

Ideally I'd like to take this to a pro because it's a keeper... Any recommendations in Saskatoon or Edmonton?

Post subject: Re: Luxman R-115 Repair
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:35 am 

It could be due to one or more of many possible issues:
A slightly contaminated speaker-protection relay (or other relays; I can't remember if that model uses separate relays for A/B speaker systems in addition to the main protection relay),
Dirty source/monitor selectors,
A dirty "Signal Processor" switch (back panel, outside).
In reality, the unit is due a good once-over by a tech, it's close to 30 years young.
Last year I had an R-117 in for a check-up, and even at that young age, it needed a bit of help on different fronts.
Seen here is a close-up of the Bias trimmer pot of one channel (both looked basically the same).

Do you ever drive through Medicine Hat? :)

Attachments:
DSC03584.JPG
DSC03584.JPG [ 361 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:58 am 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Muttonchops wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a Luxman R-115 with the left channel cutting out. No difference when manipulating CD Direct, tone in/out, or balance pot. Seems to be the volume pot. Suggestions? I have not attempted De-Oxit or WD-40 on anything just yet.

Ideally I'd like to take this to a pro because it's a keeper... Any recommendations in Saskatoon or Edmonton?

Do not use wd-40 on it or you will risk damage. These units are known for developing a noisy volume control and relay issues or both. For the relay, take something plastic or wood (non-conductive) and tap on the relay. If your channel comes back you found the culprit. If not, it may be the volume control which can be a bit of pain to work on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 am 

Before you send it off try re-seating all the molex connectors inside.Work your way back from the speaker outputs.

Gary

Attachments:
3625406167_06b71658c2_b.jpg
3625406167_06b71658c2_b.jpg [ 623.58 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:00 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

dirty cable connectors, dirty switches, dirty relays, in no particular order. Then potential bad solder joints and bad capacitors. That's pretty well the order of operations for any audio equipment repair, when in the analysis phase, of what might be deemed 'intermittent' or minimal fault conditions.

After the problems have been found an if the equipment is over 15 years old, approx, then it's time to look at capacitors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:25 am 

Thank you for the replies everyone! I will avoid the WD-40 :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 am 

Muttonchops wrote:
Hi folks,

Please DO NOT USE WD40 on ANYTHING electronic! A MAJOR component of WD-40 is sulfur; this acts as a dry lubricant once the volatiles evaporate from the surface. Problem is the remaining sulfur now attracts moisture to that surface....mix water and sulfur and you get......sulphuric acid! WD-40 is outright banned by the FAA as it rots electrical connections. Spraying it on delicate and sensitive electrical components is an absolute mistake.

I no longer allow WD-40 in my shops at all. That and silicone-based lubricants. In my business both products are more trouble than they are worth.

Deoxit gold is a great product as it lubricates as well as removes carbon damage and oxidization. It is a great product and will not cause irreparable damage.