Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Yamaha or Onkyo????
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm 

Dneprrider wrote:
botelhda wrote:
brownslane wrote:
I have a nice Onkyo M504/P304 that has been running for decades...not a hiccup. :)

I am running a similar Onkyo setup with M504 power amp, P304 pre-amp and T-9090II tuner. Sounds great with very good build quality.

Decades old Onkyo gear could keep up with anything from anyone, but that's not what the OP is asking about.
Off Topic I'd stay away from it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm 

I've only ever had one Onkyo that didn't give me problems, and it was a receiver from the 70's. Anything else I owned made by them either had an issue, or went to the recycle depot. I've owned a ton of Yamaha pieces, and only really ever had a problem with one piece. For me - Yamaha easily wins over Onkyo! And Onkyo AV gear, don't even get me started. I won't buy Onkyo amplification ever again whether an amp, or receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:56 pm 
Premium User

Just to keep this on-topic, ANY remarks about HDMI problems on Onkyp or other HT brand receivers will be summarily erased without warning as this has NOTHING to do with HT receivers; only comments about 2 channel recveivers will be allowed. CAM Moderation Team.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:54 pm 

Onkyo A-9010 and TX-8150 stereo receivers are both better than the TX-8140.

I have the Onkyo a-9010, and it's very good sounding stereo receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:41 pm 

When I was into audio the first time in the 80's , Onkyo was on a par with Yamaha IMHO with the exception of certain products that Yamaha probably had much more R&D for such as early DSP tech (DSP-1 which I had new). In the late 80's I had purchased upper level Yamaha separates but would have been just as happy with the Onkyo Integra equivalents.

This time, I chose a basic Onkyo CD player for my system over the similar Yamaha unit just to change brands and I believe the output stage is better for the price point.

I have seen an awful lot of Onkyo HT receivers being sold as refurbs in recent year and have read it is due to a specific PCB failure which triggered tons of returns.

Last edited by racecars on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:58 pm 

Consider a Yammie R N500 as well. I love mine. Very good pricing on it as it's discontinued now. It has AirPlay, Spotify streaming, network streaming. It also has a sub pre out. Great little integrated amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:42 am 

http://www.soundvisionreview.com/hi-fi-home-theater/amplifiers-receivers/yamaha-r-n301-review/
Quote:
>>During music playback the R-N301 does not create a very big sound stage, but the definition of colors and tones is very good. In terms of color and warmth, Yamaha's new generation is miles ahead of the often cold and too sharp tones that characterized the older models, and the unit we tested had a very pleasant and balanced sound. Acoustic guitar and the voice of José González in the song ‘Heartbeats‘ sounded realistic and intimate, and the music was radiating emotions. Moving on to more energetic music showed that the Yamaha was up to the challenge with powerful bass, fierce rhythm and awesome electric guitars riffs. High frequencies are spacious and there´s an excellent relationship between the clear and defined presentation and the subtle details that underlie the musical work. No matter what type of music, the midrange preserves the richness of the tones, although with a slight prominence in the presentation. It achieved a fairly good separation of instruments in complex compositions and vocals sound natural and convincing. The lowest frequencies do not go particularly deep and lack the subsonic kick that can be heard and felt with more expensive devices, but we have not yet heard an amplifier or receiver in this class that can do so. On the other hand, R-N301 have an excellent control and definition in the bass, and it seems to us that in this respect it´s even better than the more expensive R-N500.<<

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?p=33981&sid=fcf415a9366587cb2828e0b85c7ad2aa
Quote:
'Louis' says: >>I have tried many times to connect my new TX-8140 to my wifi network without success. I have an AirPort router. I have tried wap2 security scheme, no security, ... The receiver lists the available networks, I can choose the network I want but after entering the Wap2 key it goes into "connecting" and comes back asking me to retry. If wifi does not work or is flaky I will return my receiver.<<

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/yamaha-or-onkyo.684061/
Quote:
'Mike from NYC' says: >>As an owner of both a Yamaha and Onkyo I can definitely say there are differences. The biggest difference is in the sound of each. The Yamaha is smoother and sounds more muted in the top end however there is much detail, just w/o the edge. The Onkyo is more clinical sounding with more treble and perceived detail.<<

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-buy-onkyo-tx-8160-525-16-pm-warm-1928211/
Quote:
'smoisan' says: >>I saw that Best Buy had the Onkyo TX-8140 on sale with $100 off. But I found the TX-8160 on sale at Peak Audio in Halifax for $449.<<

equinoxe3d wrote:
I have an Onkyo TX-8160 and totally love it.

https://www.lifewire.com/two-channel-stereo-receiver-top-picks-1847946
Quote:
First place
If you are looking for a top-of-the-line 2-channel stereo receiver - then check out the Onkyo TX-8270.

Second place
If you are a music lover, then you need a receiver that is optimized for the music listening experience. One choice is the Onkyo TX-8160

Third place
Best for multi-room use: Yamaha R-N602

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 am 

I just love it when I see negative posts about venerable brands, be it Yamaha or Onkyo etc.., I have no doubt that these posts are mainly due to either ignorance or personal frustration about an issue that was not understood.
When it comes to a choice of receivers to power your speakers, I think both brands are a great choice. You may find a difference in how your speakers will react with either of these brands.
With Yamaha, you might note an uncoloured tonal quality, which can almost be described as lacking luster, but still has decent impact.
With Onkyo, you may note that the tonal quality in comparison to Yamaha, didn't change much in the midrange, but now the treble and bass are more pronounced, transients seem to have quicker impact as opposed to Yamaha's "lack luster" quality.
I feel that Onkyo embodies certain qualities from Yamaha, Luxman and Denon, in that it has the smoothness and tonal balance of Yamaha, the depth and character of Luxman, with the quick impact of Denon.
Onkyo's Wide Range Amplifier Technology provides both Voltage and Current very well due to a good power supply.
BTW, Onkyo is parent company to Integra, a higher eschelon brand.
Also, Onky recently introduced a Network stereo receiver with HDMI.
Another suggestion to go with those speakers would include Sherwood Newcastle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:46 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

If this is two Channel, then buy an older Onkyo or Yamaha receiver at $50-75.. then have it rebuilt with all new electrolytic capacitors and a full clean up, for another $200+.

And that's your ultra reliable best sounding receiver, right there.

As a manufacturer I'm supposed to always say buy new, never buy dangerous and unreliable used, ok?

Personally, you could not pay me to buy 'new' anything.

Amplifier circuitry, in quality terms..changes very very slowly, no matter how many new models are introduced year after year. The biggest lament at the circuit level...is that we've lost quite a few of our better older transistor designs, due to costs and such.

Good circuits with higher quality parts at lower prices happened in the past, not in the now. Now..costs are so high that quality is down and everything is squeezed. Even though prices have gone though the roof in some ways, it seems not ...as you get so much less in the parts and ways that count, compared to 25-30 years ago.

The difference between and audio person and a joe consumer is that that the audiophile is supposed to be outsmarting the herd and getting in on the path and 'way' to extreme quality sound ...and that sometimes requires the equation to change. Involved. Effort. Uncommon effort.

IE substitute smarts... for swimming with the school/herd, in order to get to a a different or better destination than the herd does with it's musings.

One of the ways to get there is to go with older gear that has been rebuilt with newer electrolytic capacitors as that is the internal part type that invariably brings older gear to it's given end. $300 intelligently applied and maybe a hair $ more...will net you something that ~$500-$800 new spent..can't really reach. (in general terms, some may disagree)

As for pure stereo gear that is new and audiophile oriented, these days...right now...without really fully investigating and going on my current knowledge of vague recollections from the last time I looked...Yamaha has put more work in their development of their focus compared to Onkyo, regarding north American availability, in the given price range you are looking at.

Going back and actually re-reading the op and not paying attention to the flavorings we tend to each bring to a thread, the question and answer are simple. The Yamaha seems to have a few less features, and less complicated circuitry due to that. If one does not need built in wireless, then go with the Yamaha. The lack of that feature seemingly has the unit built a bit better in the power supply end of things, as a quick view might conclude. better audio performer, probably, but no direct wireless. The lack of the direct on board wireless makes it ultimately more reliable (overall failure rates) as the wireless is invariably surface mount and has it's own failure issues separate from the analog bits.

The 5 year lifespan dvd and vhs players stuck into a TV chassis with what is generally a 10-15 year lifespan. Remember those? All those 14"-20" TV's with non functioning VHS players built in, all at the curbside or the value village/sally Ann/goodwill? By the truckloads...they were.

Adding direct wireless to a receiver is just more of the same, on a different day. Most modern receivers have their failure issues occurring around the complex digital aspects and the analog sections rarely fail, in comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:07 am 

Friends don't let friends buy Onkyo. Go for the Yamaha.
I have no experience with Yamaha customer service (never needed it) but Onkyo's is one of the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:41 am 
Premium User

Eli47 wrote:
I just love it when I see negative posts about venerable brands, be it Yamaha or Onkyo etc.., I have no doubt that these posts are mainly due to either ignorance or personal frustration about an issue that was not understood.

Onkyo and the word Venerable do not belong in the same sentence.

We are all not ignorant of the issue with Onkyo either. And its an issue that is clearly understood. I hope you can see what I did there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am 

coming soon https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio ... index.html

and it does vinyl.....if that kinda thing is important to you :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 am 

My Yamaha pieces be 2.0 or 5.1 keep ticking. Not as much success with Onkyo cd or decks, but good success with a P301 pre. Had a M50x amp that was nice and performed well enough too. If I was to buy a new piece, I would go Yamaha. It just sits better with me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 pm 

Just thought I would conclude this by showing you the outcome....I tried a new Yamaha.
Just didn't cut it for me.....the tuner is pretty weak and we use the tuner a lot in this application.

So I went vintage and thanks :D to a friend (who had this sitting around) I have a very nice tuner and a lovely sounding amp. Very pleased!!

Pioneer SX-3700 receiver - please click on pic for larger image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
If this is two Channel, then buy an older Onkyo or Yamaha receiver at $50-75.. then have it rebuilt with all new electrolytic capacitors and a full clean up, for another $200+. And that's your ultra reliable best sounding receiver, right there...

+1.

cat9 wrote:
Just thought I would conclude this by showing you the outcome....I tried a new Yamaha.
Just didn't cut it for me.....the tuner is pretty weak and we use the tuner a lot in this application.

So I went vintage and thanks :D to a friend (who had this sitting around) I have a very nice tuner and a lovely sounding amp. Very pleased!!

Pioneer SX-3700 receiver...

Congratulations... Good Stuff!!! :D