Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stoopid HDCP2.2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:13 am 

My folks, Fred and Ethel, decided to change their cable TV provider from Shaw to Telus Optik. The new cable box is 4K compatible. It is connected to a 7 year-old 60" Sony television through a 6 month-old Yamaha RXV781 HT receiver. The plan is keep the perfectly functional TV for the foreseeable future, so only 1080p will be used. This set-up worked fine with the old Shaw HD box.

I encountered a problem relating to the HDCP2.2 copy protection after the Telus box was installed, and am curious if anyone has a solution:

The new cable box and receiver are both 4K compatible. The TV is not. If I connect the cable box directly to the TV via HDMI, everything works fine. However, if I connect it through the receiver via HDMI, I get a "HDCP2.2" error, and no video is displayed (though I still get sound through the receiver). All non-4K sources connected through the receiver continue to display fine.

The only way I can get everything to work is to leave cable box connected directly to the TV, and run a optical cable from the box to the receiver for the audio. All the other HDMI sources (BDP, Chromecast, etc) remain connected to the receiver, which in turn is connected to the TV via a separate HDMI input. This means switching between the cable box and any other input source is now a two-step process, requiring an input change on both the TV and receiver. Remember, I am dealing with Fred and Ethel....and need to keep the process as simple as possible.

I tried changing the receiver's video-out processing settings to force it to output 1080p only, but the HDCP2.2 error remains whenever the cable box is selected as an input source. I can't find a setting within the cable box menus that would restrict it's output to 1080p only (and hopefully disable the HDCP2.2 copy protection) .

Aside from picking up a new 4K compatible TV, are there any other suggestions that would permit the receiver to handle all the video/audio source switching?

Post subject: Re: Stoopid HDCP2.2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:28 am 
Premium User

I upgraded to a TELUS 4K box late last year. I think the HDCP 2.2 should only apply on 4K signal. What resolution do you have the box set for?

I have a 4K TV, but in order to watch 4K from the box to it I had to change my receiver to one that is HDCP 2.2 compliant. Until I upgraded my receiver, I was able to watch 1080P from the box without any problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:45 am 

According to the Yamaha manual, not all HDMI inputs on the receiver are HDCP 2.2 compliant. Have you tried a different input?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 am 

electrafixion wrote:
I upgraded to a TELUS 4K box late last year. I think the HDCP 2.2 should only apply on 4K signal. What resolution do you have the box set for?

I have not yet found a way to change the video output settings within the Telus box. However, I think that Telus restricts full access to the settings menus to their installers. I suggested to the Old Man that he call Telus Customer Support and see what they have to say. The installer that Telus sent out to initially set up the box left it with both the HDMI and optical outputs connected directly to the TV....and bypassed the receiver altogether. Subsequently, my faith in the installer's abilities is not all that high.

sthomas1049 wrote:
According to the Yamaha manual, not all HDMI inputs on the receiver are HDCP 2.2 compliant. Have you tried a different input?

I scanned through the Yammie's manual, but must have missed that. I will try different inputs and see that makes a difference. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:23 am 
Premium User

selkirk wrote:
I have not yet found a way to change the video output settings within the Telus box. However, I think that Telus restricts full access to the settings menus to their installers. I suggested to the Old Man that he call Telus Customer Support and see what they have to say.

It's in the setup menu available for users. I experimented with the settings extensively in mine when I first got mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 am 

I had the same problem with Bell, Onkyo and Panasonic Plasma a few years ago. By chance I changed the order of which unit turned on first. I can't remember if the receiver recognised the box or if the box recognised the receiver. But it did work properly after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am 

electrafixion wrote:
selkirk wrote:
I have not yet found a way to change the video output settings within the Telus box. However, I think that Telus restricts full access to the settings menus to their installers. I suggested to the Old Man that he call Telus Customer Support and see what they have to say.

It's in the setup menu available for users. I experimented with the settings extensively in mine when I first got mine.

Yep....I didn't dig deep enough into the menus. Just found the directions on the Telus website:

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/optik-tv-hd

Guess I need to invite myself over for dinner tonight and see if this works......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:01 am 
Premium User

selkirk wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
selkirk wrote:

Yep....I didn't dig deep enough into the menus. Just found the directions on the Telus website:

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/optik-tv-hd

Guess I need to invite myself over for dinner tonight and see if this works......

I think you may need to fully reboot the box to clear the HDCP error as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:19 am 

Success!

I first checked the resolution settings on the cable box, and it was already set to 1080p. Then, I looked closer at the HDMI inputs on the AVR. Sure enough, three of the five were marked as HDCP 2.2 compatible. I reconnected the cable box to one of the two without the HDCP 2.2 tag.......and ta-da! Everything now works.

It looks like the HDCP 2.2 copy protection remains active when two compatible devices are connected, even if the resolution is not set to 4K. However, when the resolution is reduced to 1080p, a HDCP 2.2 compliant source can be connected to a non-compliant device without issue.

That's not confusing at all......

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:11 am 

selkirk wrote:
Success!

I first checked the resolution settings on the cable box, and it was already set to 1080p. Then, I looked closer at the HDMI inputs on the AVR. Sure enough, three of the five were marked as HDCP 2.2 compatible. I reconnected the cable box to one of the two without the HDCP 2.2 tag.......and ta-da! Everything now works.

Good to hear you have sorted it out. From what I have read HDCP 2.2 is nothing more than a crap shoot for even compliant devices may still have troubles.

selkirk wrote:
It looks like the HDCP 2.2 copy protection remains active when two compatible devices are connected, even if the resolution is not set to 4K. However, when the resolution is reduced to 1080p, a HDCP 2.2 compliant source can be connected to a non-compliant device without issue.

That's not confusing at all......

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Personally I feel this is the wrong way to tackle copy right protection for regardless of the tech implemented, piracy will still prevail! If there is a will, there is a way. These tech giants need to develop a way to mitigate piracy while offering a user experience that is affordable, trouble free and easy to understand. Or…just accept piracy for what it is and find other means of generating a profit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am 

It certainly is not a consumer-friendly, nor well understood/communicated protocol.

You would think that the big brains that develop and implement these standards could have come up with something with a broader range of compatibility and less frustrating for the average user to troubleshoot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:50 am 
Premium User

selkirk wrote:
It certainly is not a consumer-friendly, nor well understood/communicated protocol.

You would think that the big brains that develop and implement these standards could have come up with something with a broader range of compatibility and less frustrating for the average user to troubleshoot.

Copy protection schemes are rarely seemless. HDMI in general had many comparability and handshake problems for the first few years it was in the market place.

What really annoyed me was that my receiver was 4K video capable, but not HDCP2.2 compliant, so I had to upgrade to use my 4K cable box and TV.