Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nikko 701 receiver
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:24 pm 

Hello can anyone tell me anything about the above receiver and perhaps a hint what the problem is
With one I might buy , apparently it turns on but no sound to speakers

What is a unit like this worth and is it lworth fixing / cost amount

Thanks

D

Post subject: Re: Nikko 701 receiver
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm 
Premium User

In good working condition, a NR-701 usually goes for around $75 to $90. No output could be anything from stuck output relays to blown output transistors, to anything else. Repair costs should vary between the cheap ($75 to $100) for output relays (parts & labour) to a couple of hundred $ for a rebuild on this 25 to 30 year old receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:53 pm 

I'm a Nikko fan, but when you go back that far...about 40 or more years, I get nervous.
I'm not going to spend the time looking for diagram, but, Nikko used relays more toward the early 70s, not all units in a series got them. I do agree they are a major culpret of the symptom. They used circuit breakers for a while, sometimes internal fuses. Sometime internal fuses on both the speakers, and the AC power.
It turns on, but no sound...check breakers/fuses. If breakers, reset and if they immediately go off again, OBI is likely correct for outputs or other sins. Same if you find internal fuses out.
If you want to save it, up to you. If you like Nikko, in the same wattage range, find a nice 7070, 719/819.
The series ending in x5, ie 7075, not as good sound. Not a fan of the 715, But if you can find a 1015...even better.

The 3 diget codes predate all these...
Series containing the 7070- warm, reliable, early/mid 70's my 6060 is 1974
Series 7075- not as nice sound, but doable from around 1977, had and sold but kept 9095s.
Series 715- had and sold, less than a 7075 or 7070 for quality until you get into the 1015, which a part generation change up. The 1415 monster 2x175w resides at the upper end of their overall story.
The 719 series is new design, ending in the popular 1219 2x100w. Series is cleaner, sound is a wake up from the past warm tones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:51 pm 

You never know. It could be something simple, or more expensive. You know it doesn't work, so if you can pay a price you feel comfortable with, buy it. I'll assume you like the way it looks.

Decide what you want out of it. If you want it working like new, then prepare to spend a few hundred restoring it (note that I didn't call this a repair). I'm very familiar with Nikko, some stuff was really great, other stuff was average, and the latest stuff was pure junk.

-Chris