Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:44 pm 

Well I have no picture for satilite DVD or Xbox when using the receivers hdmi switching Never been any issues before this .I did have some initial delay with a pink background before the picture switched on prior but didn't think it was a big deal Blamed it on the previous TV which now that I think about is working fine in another set up. Any other Anthem users come across this issue?BTW TV works fine when not running through the receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 pm 

Sorry, not a anthem owner but I had similar problems with my Cambridge audio av reciver. Sent it in for warranty work and they replaced some bad capacitors on the hdmi board. Did yours start giving you problems all at once? or has it slowly been having more and more trouble trying to grab an hdmi signal?This is what mine did which makes sense as the caps continue to crap out, just wish it wouldn't have done it within a year and a half of owning the the thing. Just a thought from personal experience. I hope you won't have to send your unit away but anthem is a great company and would expect them to remedy the problem without any cost on your end.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:36 pm 

Did kinda crap out at once but there may have been clues when I look back. I don't think there is warranty left on it. I might have to look at a replacement if the repair is too much

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 pm 
Premium User

Could be as simple as the HDMI board being shot; a fairly common problem in AVRs of all brands, but especially Onkyos and Denons.

First thing t try is to try a different HDMI socket on the back (make sure that EVERYTHING is turned OFF first before unplugging and plugging any HDMI device) if you have an unused port. Could be as simple as a bad port or as serious as a bad board. I would give the Anthem support people a call or drop them an E-Mail one way or another.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:36 am 

I have an Arcam AVR300 (to be honest, I thought the thread was titled Arcam, not Anthem) that does not have HDMI, but the video section did give out. I knew this going into it; I bought it used and the video section was already shot. I got a good price on it though, so I figured I would use it as a two channel amp with a solid built in Wolfson DAC. It served that purpose very well, but goes to show that these HT units do have some problems. The video section of these AVR300's is a fairly common one I guess, possibly poor ventilation/cooling design.

That said, I have been using a Denon AVR-990 since new and it has given me no issues. It still is a solid performer for my needs. Not all HT units are problematic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:58 am 
Premium User

nick_ville wrote:
I have an Arcam AVR300 (to be honest, I thought the thread was titled Arcam, not Anthem) that does not have HDMI, but the video section did give out. I knew this going into it; I bought it used and the video section was already shot. I got a good price on it though, so I figured I would use it as a two channel amp with a solid built in Wolfson DAC. It served that purpose very well, but goes to show that these HT units do have some problems. The video section of these AVR300's is a fairly common one I guess, possibly poor ventilation/cooling design.

That said, I have been using a Denon AVR-990 since new and it has given me no issues. It still is a solid performer for my needs. Not all HT units are problematic.

You have a Denon AVR with a working HDMI board Nick? LOL!!!! Let me introduce you to Dave.

Do a CAM search of HDMI and user name Mahatma1 and do a bit of reading on the horror stories about blown HDMI boards in many brands. He must be on his 6th or 7th unit, all with blown HDMI boards. Either he is incredibly unlucky or there is something to the HDMI thing after all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:16 am 

OBI56 wrote:
nick_ville wrote:

You have a Denon AVR with a working HDMI board Nick? LOL!!!! Let me introduce you to Dave.

Do a CAM search of HDMI and user name Mahatma1 and do a bit of reading on the horror stories about blown HDMI boards in many brands. He must be on his 6th or 7th unit, all with blown HDMI boards. Either he is incredibly unlucky or there is something to the HDMI thing after all.

I'll try to check it out. But of course there will be bad units, and from what I hear, there seem to be more bad units in this line of product. I just wanted to share a bit of a positive vibe; we don't need to be negative about everything in this hobby.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:36 am 
Premium User

I didn't mean to sound negative Nick and I'm not painting all AVRs with the same brush, but HDMI does seem to have far more failures in terms of reliability than any other modern technology. I suspect bad design, batches of bad chipsets, bad ventilation, sensitivity to stray static discharge or bad electricity, or any of dozens of other potentials problems including user misuse. Obviously, there are good ones, but the question has to remain .... why?

HDMI seems to work best when it is plugged in once and never touched again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:16 am 

I too run a 500...no issues tho.

On screen menu work?
Something out in settings?
Latest firmware?

Grasping but never know...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am 

I've experienced​ all kinds of HDMI issues. Handshaking is a big problem between devices for too many reasons to list here.

I wouldn't worry too much, just try changing the TV inputs back and forth... Usually works for me. Sometimes just a full reboot sorts out many problems too.

HDMI is evolving...Things will get worse likely... Especially with DRM.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:32 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
I too run a 500...no issues tho.

On screen menu work?
Something out in settings?
Latest firmware?

Grasping but never know...

There is no onscreen menu either

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:44 pm 

Just an update I have done a factory reset and now Im able to bring up the on screen menu and I can get the satellite button on the amp to work in all 4 hdmi inputs.However if I try the game button or blue ray button with any of the 4 hdmi inputs nothing.Anthem will repair it if I pay for shipping which be probably $100 round trip ,$130 per hour labor plus parts.Not sure its worth it.I can watch TV as the Satalite button woks and use my xbox through the Tv s hdmi.I wonder if it is nothing to do with the hdmi switch but the source select switching.