Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:11 pm 

I'm interested in selling my Marantz 8801, whose video processing I don't use so that I can spend that money on a higher end, but older PrePro. I like my sound, but I would love it to be slightly more revealing/engaging/refined. I use this system for home theatre almost exclusively. I have a 4.2 setup, though I do own the matching centre.

I'm a bit concerned with room correction as my room can sound a bit harsh and at the limit of what I'm willing to do to treat it.

Do you have any recommendations as what to look for on the used market? I believe I can fetch about 1500$ for the Marantz.

A local dealer has an Anthem D2 with ARC, and I noticed also that someone is selling on CAM a Lexicon 12B with Room EQ (v5). Would either of these be a recommended buy?

Is it a serious step down from Audyssey 32 XT to D2 with ARC or Lexicon Room EQ?

Are there non-room-correcting models I should consider and then applying something like a Minidsp box?

My system:
Marantz 8801 PrePro
Bryston 9b SST 5 channel Amp
Paradigm 11SE MK3 mains
Paradigm 7SE MK3 surrounds
Paradigm CC-300 (matching centre, but it is turned off as I prefer the phantom mode)
Dual SVS Subs NSD-12 and B4 Plus. (Non matching, but sounds better than anything I've heard)
Cambridge CXU universal Blu Ray/HDMI DAC (arriving soon)

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 pm 

Have you tried the Cambridge universal in your system yet? I wouldn't do anything until you've had a chance to use it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:41 am 

I like the Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:47 am 

If you are looking for something older, really solid, try the Bel Canto PRePro 2, yes, no one talks about them much, but I have used Krell, Classe, Lexicon, and the Bel Canto had the best separation of them all, had to go to a different brand when dealing with Dolby ATMOS, and DTS X, and those formats are awesome, 11.3, with a really good recorded movie nothing beats it, nothing!!!
Check out the Bel Canto, they retailed for $11,000, but are old now and go for $1100 to $1500, if you can find one.