Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:09 pm 

bumperdoo wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
IMO, letting your player do all the heavy lifting/processing and using an older, higher quality pre-processor with analog inputs is definitely the way to go...

Absolutely agree... let your Oppo do the heavy lifting with the latest codecs and send analog out to your multi-channel pre - it's how I do it and it sounds fab. Lots of older Bryston SP2s out there that are killer in this setup.

Happy listening... errr... watching...

I think the best thing you can do after following this advice is to have speakers from the same manufacturer, ideally the same series as they will all be voiced the same way and then vocals and sound will pan seamlessly from side/side front/back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:52 pm 

planetofsound wrote:
The majority of new surround formats require a lot of speakers which almost nobody has. A good quality 5.1 receiver with even just DD/DTS and 5 well tuned speakers will crush a badly setup or poorly chosen new system which happens to have the newest formats. The formats haven't been a problem for 15 years.

Agree 100%

BTW, I sometimes work from 1117 Queen West (mailman). Last week I was on Queen St heading toward Ossington and it looked like you were closed. Did you move?

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:57 pm 

Thanks very much for your advice, everyone. OBI, thanks for the explanation again, I completely understand what you're saying now. I would love to give an older, higher end processor a shot. I've ordered a Cambridge CXU with the intention of using it to process all the sound, and to use a pre-pro basically only as a Pre-Amp.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:45 pm 

nedrudrelyt wrote:
No.

Properly setup 2.0 is all you need.

Yes and theoretically a horse and buggy can be used on the 401 but there are better options

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:04 am 

spinaker01 wrote:
nedrudrelyt wrote:
No.

Yes and theoretically a horse and buggy can be used on the 401 but there are better options

I have a half-decent 5.1 system, and have considered going to a simpler/better 2.0/2.1 system many times. But the difference between a 2.0 track (played either as 2-channel or converted to fill 5.1) and a real 5.1 sound track is enormous.

If you are just watching tv in the background then use a 2-channel setup. But if you have a large screen (100" in my case) and a dedicated room, the clarity of vocals through a good centre channel, and effect of surrounds, as well as the dedicated .1 channel, make a well-mastered movie come alive.

Of course, even today, many studios seem to be really sloppy in their implementation of 5.1/7.1 surround, so the experience is sub-par. Disney is probably the best in it's class, with pin-point accuracy accurate tone matching, crystal clear vocals, and attention paid to every part of the sound track in each channel.

Watching these movies in 2-channel would be like listening to music in monaural.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:49 am 

All AV receivers today have some kinda of room correction software. Marantz and many other brands come with Audyssey. My experience is the Anthem ARC is the best so far.

Agreed with everyone here. The format problem is really a hassle. Yeah I know Atmos's good and a properly set up 7.2 will be better than 5.1 but most of us have limited space really and it's a lot of work to get them properly done and no, my wife will NEVER allow me to install speakers up on the ceiling!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:18 am 

spinaker01 wrote:
nedrudrelyt wrote:
No.

If you still want the best of fidelity even in today's world the best recordings are still on vinyl and 99% in 2.0…which also rings true for most digital recordings as well. Plus formatting issues and complete lack of standards killed the potential of surround years ago.

Sometimes less is more bro when properly done.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 am 

spinaker01 wrote:
nedrudrelyt wrote:
No.

Hahaha.... Couldn't have said it better, to funny

As I am a gear junkie I have multiple setups and I'm sorry if you here my full bore 7.2 setup I'm pretty sure the idea that 2.0 is "better" is just silly. That you may PREFER at 2.0 setup is entirely different and of coarse up the individual.
My main rig is a combined hi-end 2 channel 7.2 affair... Properly set up and performs amazingly well.
Now, we just finished a theatre/listening room for a customer and he installed a full bore Macintosh / sonas Faber Dolby atoms rig .... And once year hear your movie soundtracks in a custom designed/built room with that level of gear it leaves you wanting that level immersion ... Unreal.

Now, my rig doesn't have atmos nor is it worth as much as the aforementioned setup but the immersion cannot be equaled with two channel. Just can't

As to where to do the conversion I let my processor do the heavy lifting. I tried using the Cambridge blue ray to do the conversion and just didn't feel there was a sonic gain and the ease of just using one cable in this case is where I hang my hat

-- 01 Apr 2017 15:27 --

nedrudrelyt wrote:
spinaker01 wrote:
nedrudrelyt wrote:
No.

If you still want the best of fidelity even in today's world the best recordings are still on vinyl and 99% in 2.0…which also rings true for most digital recordings as well. Plus formatting issues and complete lack of standards killed the potential of surround years ago.

Sometimes less is more bro when properly done.

Sometimes more is more when set up correctly..... Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:31 am 

^^^^
Keep going there champ…10.2 next? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:36 am 

nedrudrelyt wrote:
^^^^

Really?...

I guess to follow up on one of your previous comment analogue is better than digital f
Right??

Lemme ask you something , when your a troll do you have to wipe off the slime on your keyboard or does it eventually just evaporate... Just curious.

Oh and while your at it why don't you give us your two cents on cables, that would be entertaining as well

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:48 am 

I have a properly setup 5.1 system using ARC in a treated room and yes it sounds quite good with some movies but I find I do most of my movie watching in 2 ch. I can't say for sure why but I find it just sounds more natural to me. Could be that I don't watch a lot of action movies and that I prefer older classic films but 2.0 just seems to sound better.

To be honest I usually get about half way through a film before I remember that I was supposed to select surround so I guess it's not that important to me. It did give me an excuse to buy more nice gear though. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 am 

ADCO wrote:
nedrudrelyt wrote:
^^^^

Really?...

I guess to follow up on one of your previous comment analogue is better than digital f
Right??

Lemme ask you something , when your a troll do you have to wipe off the slime on your keyboard or does it eventually just evaporate... Just curious.

Oh and while your at it why don't you give us your two cents on cables, that would be entertaining as well

Analog is better than digital….if you don't have the ability to hear that my friend you are in the wrong hobby with the wrong setup.

I ran a proceed/Levinson/Revel high end surround setup for years and again…lack of proper processing/standards/software killed surround years ago. The potential was there but never even close to realization. Always went back to proper two channel. The only gains that were made in surround was for ambient concert hall tones and that is only if you are a classical or primarily an acoustic listener…it's completely useless for Rock.

And careful who you call a troll there champ…I've been on the boards a long time and also worked in high end retail for many years on the side. I've been exposed to much more gear than you in every conceivable software fashion and it's clear you don't really know what you are talking about in terms of true fidelity…but I'm hoping with time spent you will learn over time.

No point in chatting with the like of you on cables as you clearly won't get it.

Best to you champ.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:06 am 

nedrudrelyt wrote:
ADCO wrote:
nedrudrelyt wrote:
^^^^

Really?...

Right??

Analog is better than digital….if you don't have the ability to hear that my friend you are in the wrong hobby with the wrong setup.

I ran a proceed/Levinson/Revel high end surround setup for years and again…lack of proper processing/standards/software killed surround years ago. The potential was there but never even close to realization. Always went back to proper two channel. The only gains that were made in surround was for ambient concert hall tones and that is only if you are a classical or primarily an acoustic listener…it's completely useless for Rock.

And careful who you call a troll there champ…I've been on the boards a long time and also worked in high end retail for many years on the side. I've been exposed to much more gear than you in every conceivable software fashion and it's clear you don't really know what you are talking about in terms of true fidelity…but I'm hoping with time spent you will learn over time.

No point in chatting with the like of you on cables as you clearly won't get it.

Best to you champ.

You seem pretty confident with yourself and your ascertains of what I do or do not not know.... I wasn't aware that post count had anything to do with knowledge .... Or intelligence , comes to that.

Not to mention that your post reeks of arrogance and condecention....your blanket statements don't hold water just because you say so.... Bro

Maybe with all your expertise you could offer up some concrete tech about why 2.0 is all the OP needs... And while your up to it why not show us what an intellectual Titan such as yourself can say about specifically why analogue is better.... Careful not to be subjective here though , I have plenty of that myself.... Maybe just some hard core objective facts that we can all learn from.... Which evidently you feel is necessary....

Give it your best shot..... Bro

Oh , and by the way I have hired carpenters that say they have done this or done that and have many years experience blah blah blah.... Can't swing a hammer for shiet...

That you worked in the business at one point carries little value to me... Show me what ya got, make me a believer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:06 am 
Premium User

I have gone back to strictly horse and buggy for a few years now and it's one sweet ride.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:10 am 

Have Dolby Atmos... fully loaded and she absolutely rocks.... nothing better if you can do it.... Processor is totally upgradeable....no fear when Dolby Atmos ll comes along....DTS-X is also awesome!!