Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:19 pm 

My receiver quit last week, not sure what caused it. The unit powers on and I can select all the inputs, but none of the inputs actually 'connect' to the device, whether it be coaxial connection to the CD player, HDMI inputs from the cable box, HTPC and XBOX.

I had this issue once before when the unit was still under warranty - sent it off to Yamaha US (I bought it from an online retailer in the States) and it came back fixed. Now that it's happened again (no more warranty), I'm not sure what to do next.

I took the unit to Audio Mart on Bank st in Ottawa - they said its likely one of the chips on the input board but that they aren't equipped to fix the issue.

Any ideas on what the problem might be, and what I should do next? Really hoping I don't need to shell out for a new receiver :(

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:26 pm 
Premium User

Does it still play from the FM tuner because from your description of the problem, all your sources seem toi be digital? If it is, as I suspect, the HDMI chip, it will need a new board as they are generally not repairable by the majority of shops. You can always give Yamaha a call if the HDMI board is at fault.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:32 pm 

I'd contact Yamaha US again. If they were able to fix it before then those are the guys who can likely repair it again. Worth a phone call anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 pm 

Hi seekr613,
Give Yamaha a call up here. They are in Scarborough. They can direct you to a shop that has access to parts and service information. Failing that, you need to take it directly into a service shop and deal with them. Stores aren't the best places to go looking for service. Not to mention that stores always mark the repair bill up too! They often make more on the repair than the people doing the work, and they like to find the cheapest people. You don't want those folks working on your equipment.

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 am 

Those of you who have seen my very similar speaker dilemma (from my 2-channel system) in the speaker forum will know that it has been a very bad month for all the audio systems in my house.

My Yamaha Aventage A-720 HT receiver stopped working last month. I took it to Hi-Tronics here in Ottawa, the authorized Yamaha repair centre. I was just told that the HDMI board has failed, and that the repair cost is $360.

So, reaching out again for your advice please. Am I better off paying the $360 and keeping the unit? it's only about 2 years old. Or should I buy a new unit, if so which one? and possibly wait until a clearance or demo sale and get a deal close to the repair cost for a similar quality unit - or am I dreaming?

btw this unit had the same problem a couple years back when it was nearly new - it was repaired under warranty at that time. Word of caution - I bought it as manufacturer-refurbished 'B' stock from accessories4less.com. not sure I'll ever go that route again.

Sigh. $1400+ in repair bills in one day has taken the wind right out of my music listening sails.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:57 am 

Thanks for the feedback, guys - ended up taking it to Hi-Tronics, which is where Yamaha Canada directed me.

Hi-Tronics came back today with a $360 repair bill. YIKES.

Looking for advice in this thread about what to do next: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46602

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:27 am 

That seems excessive to me. I used to be Yamaha authorised warranty service when I had my shop. I'd be looking for anyone else but them to service that receiver!

See if Ontario Audio is Yamaha warranty. I can't see Rick charging that much.

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 am 
Premium User

I suggest that you go on-line and gather as much ammunition as you can about the problem with the receiver. You need to find out if this is a "known problem" with this model.
You already know that it had to be repaired once for that under warranty, and now it has happened again. That alone would be enough for me to go after Yamaha about it, regardless of the warranty being expired. They may still offer a free repair. Ask politely. :wink:
Even if they have not publicly acknowledged it and they KNOW that this was a problem with the unit, they are likely to help you out. If you find more ammo on the websites where other people have had the same problem, that will help your case.
1) You can Google "Yamaha Aventage A720 receiver problem" (use the quotation marks!) ans see what you can find.

2) Here's a thread dedicated to that receiver on the AVS Forums:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receiv ... hread.html
There's 11 pages (approx 180 posts) there covering all kinds of issues, questions and answers. See if there is anything there you can use.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:37 am 

Hi seekr613
That's why the estimate is so high! They are taking the easy way out and replacing the entire card instead of finding the problem. Guess what? If that card doesn't solve the issue, you're on the hook for it and they still want more.

Right now I would pick up the phone and call Yamaha again. Find out if that is the only way to fix your receiver. We used to do component level repairs, and that is what was expected of us. Anyway, you might be further ahead to take your set to Yamaha (post works fine). Where you bought the set out of warranty has zero bearing on how much it should cost for a repair. If they don't have an alternative for you, make the point that they are not supporting their product and if that's the only option, you won't be buying another Yamaha - and neither will anyone else that you know.

I think a Denon would look really nice in your system.

I don't have an axe to grind for Yamaha. In fact, I would have expected this to have turned out completely differently with a bill of $150 plus or minus. Probably 1 - 2 hours labour and an expensive chip. For all anyone knows, it could be a bad solder joint (speaking from experience). A service shop that only changes PCBs is not a service shop.

-Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

things like an HDMI board are many times made by a separate company.

Thus, no in house repair knowledge and lore.

To add, no stock in parts except for new complete boards.

All the companies like it this way as they can wash their hands of older gear, and get you to buy new stuff.

The only saving grace is the computer based diagnostic tools.

Old fashioned signal tracing and tech manuals still work. But, the machine is fairly new so getting ahold of the tech manual is not likely.

Next problem: these devices are now so complex that repair depots are beginning to refuse to take them in for repair.

Next problem (tied ot the prior one): no one will pay you enough to tackle these complex beasts, as the complexity can exist in even a $300 unit.

Many to most end up in a junk bin, when sometimes it is just vibration on the plugs (broken solder junctions)(due to thin flexing chassis), wiring harness plug issues, vibration on key solder junctions, ribbon cables that need to be re-seated, and so on.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:29 pm 

Hi Ken,
If the part was sold in a $300 receiver, then the replacement part should only cost $40 or less retail. The distributor would be making a healthy profit on those parts at that price. As for diagnostics and equipment, I had to remove >100 pin ICs and place them on other boards after I had traced the fault to the chip in question. I even have a hot air station for this kind of work (easier than the iron and solder picks I was using). This is what was expected of us back then.

However, this is the world we voted for with our dollars. We decided we didn't want competent service and parts support in the market. What? This isn't what everyone wanted? It is the reason I sold me shop in 1998, the writing was on the wall then.

I keep watching and waiting for the entire home entertainment business to collapse and burn. Quite frankly, I'm amazed and horrified that it is still stumbling along not realising that its dead yet. What will the future look like? Will the market correct and business begin to run like a business again? That means sticker shock for everyone. Or, will it consist of junk that we rent as a service? It's up to all of you to decide what you want to live with. They're even going to kill FM to make our receivers and tuners obsolete. That's not very nice - is it?

So, what are you going to do people? This should be interesting.

-Chris

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:58 pm 

That's how things are built today, to be quickly disposable.
You may want to go back to old school ways (vintage stereos), no such surprises;
Better sound, too, when in mint shape.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:42 am 

Look at all the technology in vehicles today.
Some have the same problems with repairs.
Proper diagnosis parts cost and availability.
Many owners get rid of the vehicle when warranty expires.
Leasing a vehicle is renting.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:47 am 

Yup, and yup.

Send your dollars to places that will support you.

-Chris