Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:26 pm 
Premium User

Just wondering if there would be a noticeable loss in picture quality running HDMI cable from Oppo BDP-103 to my Pioneer Elite SC-85 to the TV

The Video processors are the same or close to it in the Oppo and Elite 85 are they not?

Should I run one direct from the Oppo to the tv and another to the receiver for sound?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:56 pm 

If you have multiple HDMI outputs on the oppo then for sure run direct to your tv. I have several HDMI cables in my home Cardas, QED silver reference plus some no names etc. Its easy for me to see visual variation between cables. I would never run any other way than direct to the t.v. I do own a $3k+ sony xbr as well as a Panny ZT plasma plus a top o the line Denon blu ray. So its pretty obvious the differences between cables. Why spend good money on a tv, blu ray and cables just to run into some crappy receiver. Every extra connection and cable will make a difference. Your final picture/sound is only as good as the weakest link. Simple and direct as possible signal path is the first rule of high end...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:13 pm 

newmusic wrote:
If you have multiple HDMI outputs on the oppo then for sure run direct to your tv. I have several HDMI cables in my home Cardas, QED silver reference plus some no names etc. Its easy for me to see visual variation between cables. I would never run any other way than direct to the t.v. I do own a $3k+ sony xbr as well as a Panny ZT plasma plus a top o the line Denon blu ray. So its pretty obvious the differences between cables. Why spend good money on a tv, blu ray and cables just to run into some crappy receiver. Every extra connection and cable will make a difference. Your final picture/sound is only as good as the weakest link. Simple and direct as possible signal path is the first rule of high end...

I second that...I switched all of my HDMI cables out to nordost and was simply blown away...unfortunately my panel is 28' from my equipment and I would need a second mortgage to use Nordost for that so I have a pretty good special order audioquest and use a Kordz powered HDMI booster on the send and receive of this cable....that little gem works magic
The one thing about video when you get it right there is nothing subjective about it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Premium User

I use Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables. Not the best, but certainly very good. Better than anything that came with the Oppo or Pioneer Elite at least.

I didn't think for Bluray it would make a difference letting the Receiver (with the same Marvell processor as the Oppo) do the decoding.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:26 pm 

ADCO wrote:
newmusic wrote:

I second that...I switched all of my HDMI cables out to nordost and was simply blown away...unfortunately my panel is 28' from my equipment and I would need a second mortgage to use Nordost for that so I have a pretty good special order audioquest and use a Kordz powered HDMI booster on the send and receive of this cable....that little gem works magic
The one thing about video when you get it right there is nothing subjective about it

Exactly. Your eyes WILL see a difference. Never understood why anyone would patch their video through a receiver, unless it's for convenience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 am 
Premium User

Old Rusty wrote:
ADCO wrote:
newmusic wrote:

Exactly. Your eyes WILL see a difference. Never understood why anyone would patch their video through a receiver, unless it's for convenience.

You don't understand?

Not everyone is running 500.00 plus bluray players. I would imagine using a less expensive player without a good video processor would have a less than ideal picture compared to running it thought a good receiver with a really good processor like the Marvell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 am 

Most higher end AVRs, elite sc-85 included, will pass video signals with zero signal degradation. You can read the test results at soundandvisionmagazine.com/benchtest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:30 am 

I have a Panny VT25, Oppo 103 with a Denon 2311CI.

I run my Oppo to the receiver and just pass through the signal without any additional processing. I have tried running direct to the TV and found no difference. I use HDMI cables from Infinite Cables in Markham (under $10) and I have never had a problem with the cables or my sound/picture.

The picture is so good after 6 years that I am hoping my TV lasts another 20! I just don't like the look of LEDs.

Me personally, I won't invest in the huge bucks on cables that some people do as I am very pleased with what I have so why bother.

JJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:33 pm 

The only thing I run HDMI direct to TV is my Bell fibe . The rest of it goes through a Pioneer Elite VSX LX 301 . Why , because 1080p gets up converted to 4K and 7 channels audio . I had Ps4 pro connected directly to TV ( Sony BXR 4K ) but could not get all the a audio options . This set up also allows me the watch TV and listen to music at the same time . To add I of can not see any degradation in picture quality for PS4 pro (4K) going through receiver . Blu Ray 1080p up converted looks real good to me .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:17 pm 

i have a oppo 105 run true pioneer sc 61 to Samsung f8500 plasma with audio sensibility hdmi had i like it only on low quality film you see a difference