Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 am 

I have been using Anthem's Room Correction software in the MRX 720 receiver with great effect. If I should add an external amplifier to drive the left and front speakers in order to get better two-channel audio performance, will the receiver's room correction software still affect those speakers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:28 pm 

Yes it will.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:46 pm 

Yes as long as you measured it the same way with the amp connected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:53 pm 

I have the MRX510 and bought the Anthem A2 to put more power into my left and right speakers, PSB Imagine T2's. The ARC works just the same and there was noticeable improvement in dynamics and sound quality when listening to music.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:10 pm 

tiggerandsam wrote:
I have the MRX510 and bought the Anthem A2 to put more power into my left and right speakers, PSB Imagine T2's. The ARC works just the same and there was noticeable improvement in dynamics and sound quality when listening to music.

I am resurrecting this topic from earlier in the year because, to me anyway, there is a lot of confusing information out there on this issue.

When adding an external amplifier to drive the front left and right speakers (for two-channel audio listening), leaving the receiver to drive the centre and surround speakers (for home theatre), does one use:

an integrated amp?
a power amp?
a preamp?

(That last option makes no sense to me, but there are people who claim to have done it.)

And what about the issue of using the Home Theatre Bypass feature? As far as I can tell, the Anthem A2 doesn't have it. Is HT bypass essential or simply useful?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:14 am 

You would run the pre-amp outputs from the Receiver to a power amp in virtually all cases. You could use an integrated if it has a power amp in (most don't) and running to another pre-amp is possible, but only for something particular that the pre-amp offers, but you still have to run the pre-amp to a power amp to make sound.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 am 

morbihancelte wrote:
And what about the issue of using the Home Theatre Bypass feature? As far as I can tell, the Anthem A2 doesn't have it. Is HT bypass essential or simply useful?

HT bypass is a feature of an HT preamp, or HT receiver, so in this case, it would be the MRX510 that has it, not the A2 power amp. Basically, the bypass allows you completely cut all of the HT circuitry out of the signal path, and drive the front channel power amps directly. It's useful for those who want to use a dedicated 2 channel pre-amp for listening in stereo, and don't want any of the surround sound stuff.