Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:37 am 

Hi folks

If you had a choice between these 2 receivers for the same price witch one would you take. I believe the Arcam AVR350 was manufacture in 2006 and the Rotel RSX-1550 in 2011 from looking at the dates on reviews. That is my dilemma they are 80 km from each other trying to go see the best one. Thank you, have a nice day.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:14 am 

Have heard both brands HT gear (not the specific models in question), their house sound is different, so it could depend on what your trying to achieve/pair it with. But I would generally pick the Rotel in this case just because its much newer tech & if your planning on using it for HT use, the connection & surround sounds modes are more up to date. Also that series of Arcam receivers didn't have the best build quality & its not uncommon for them to have issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am 
Premium User

I would proceed with caution if you are considering the Arcam AVR 350. I've seen many Arcam AVR's from that era come in with issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:57 am 

I agree with James_W. I have an Arcam 350 right now and just love the sound it produces. That being said I have had issues with one of the channels.
It is a great sounding piece no question better than any HT receiver I have owned.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:10 am 
Premium User

The sound is great on the 350 for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 pm 

Evaluation checklist

-- Which has the better CODECs to decode the newer discs. Upgradeability?
-- Which has the better HDMI boards? Do you have Enough HDMI inputs and outputs ?
--build problems? Risk vs price?

-- Issue: A 10 year old piece is very long in the tooth. Even a 5-year old kit is considered old in the AV format wars,

My take: I had the very top-of-the line CAMBRIDGE AZUR AVR and matched Bluray player and currently the ARCAM FMJ Bluray player.

Never again..... All AVRs have their own build warts regardless of price. My CAMBRIDGE units both catastrophically failed suddenly. The AVR failed twice within its 3-year warranty period. The AZUR Bluray crapped out catastrophically 3months after its 2-year warranty. They are NOT built to the same level as a high-end 2-channel audio piece, particularly with its power supply and power components.

ARCAM has its own bespoke legacy of pure crap made-in-China AVRs ..... Go surf the AGON laments on the various models in the 300 series of their AVRs as a first step of evaluating the distinct risks in those model failures.

Sample https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ ... 300-beware

"....ARCAM AVR300 - beware

Heads up..DO NOT BUY any ARCAM products!

AVR 300 which have had a number of problems, including overheating leading to capacitor replacement, diode replacement and eventually motherboard replacement that occurred shortly after the warranty expired on 2011. I was able to resolve this problem by having the unit repaired for $400 at the time, however at the time I was never offered the partial buyback or upgrade option that Arcam rep, Mike Marko, admitted there were design/build problems with those series of receivers. Currently this same unit is having yet another issue. When I turn the unit on it powers off almost immediately after the "SAT" clicks on to hear my DVR. I called a local repair center and they said it's a known issue with the MB and a fix is in the $450-500 range. Unfortunately, the problem remains unresolved. I even contacted the new rep Tom Mcgee who was completely unhelpful. He never return any calls or responds.

jswell66607-02-2014 5:44pm..."

It got SO BAD with the crap China manufacturing that ARCAM was forced to move its very top-of-the-heap FMJ AVR 600 line out of China and move it back to the UK because of pure Shite made-in-China manufacturing defects triggering massive warranty claims from failing units. When you are charging $6000++ for a piece, that is simply unacceptable. It still has much Chi-Fi kit (as do virtually all AV makers) .....so buyer beware.

ARCAM main advantage... superior audio performance (when it works) and a 5-year warranty whereas many have only one year. This is a BIG thing in the HT AVR arena. However these old already out-of-warranty pieces don't concern themselves

I will let someone else comment on the ROTEL.

Good luck.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:23 am 

Thank you very much I really appreciate the feedback. I will go see the Rotel for now I will offer $400 Can.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:09 pm 

A little late but I'll add my 2 cents as I own an AVR350 myself.

I experienced a minor issue with the volume going down when the dial would hit -78db and would climb back up afterwards. Plugged it through the serial port of an older PC I own and reflashed its latest firmware which fixed the issue.

Once, it turned itself off. I read subsequently that it's an issue which can occur with these models requiring a trip to a tech but mine only did it once a few weeks ago.

That said, I find the sound quite good! It has a reputation for having a musical sound (e.g. not analytical). so if that's what you want, it's good. If you don't plan on using a sub, it can supply 100 watts/channel in Stereo mode.