Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:04 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
^^^ but you get my point. imo there's been a lot of unnecessary Cambridge bashing lately.

Makes me feel like I'm one of the few, lucky people who have never had issues with Cambridge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:05 am 

Interesting as I feel like this has happened to me on my Azur 640a in the past. But, I think I determined it was one of my remotes being wonky. It did give me quite a scare, though!! I think it was in fact a Rega remote that I had for my Rega CDP that was pointed in the general directionvand was giving a signal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:12 pm 

This is probably not related to your issue but I have experienced the following scenario. Where I live it turns out I am in direct line of site with my neighbours living room. Some nights he has left his curtains open and I have noticed I can actually change his channels with my remote. ( we have the same TV product) It never occurred to me that I could blow him out of his room with the volume control!

This seems to be a by product of the trend to build houses closer together. I have also noted that a lot of people don't protect their WiFi with passwords as I currently have over 15 unlocked WiFi addresses to choose from on my screen.

All this aside I have seen uncontrolled volume with remotes on other systems which is why I prefer to get off my a** and change the volume by hand. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:15 pm 

MikeChurchward wrote:
This is probably not related to your issue but I have experienced the following scenario. Where I live it turns out I am in direct line of site with my neighbours living room. Some nights he has left his curtains open and I have noticed I can actually change his channels with my remote. ( we have the same TV product) It never occurred to me that I could blow him out of his room with the volume control!

This seems to be a by product of the trend to build houses closer together. I have also noted that a lot of people don't protect their WiFi with passwords as I currently have over 15 unlocked WiFi addresses to choose from on my screen.

All this aside I have seen uncontrolled volume with remotes on other systems which is why I prefer to get off my a** and change the volume by hand. :)

Man, you could have a lot of fun with that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:44 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Prestige wrote:
Yup, it happened to me with a cambridge 840 integrated. I turned it up a bit using the remote and it just kept on going. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cambridge has good sound but it is garbage in the quality department. Never again will I own that brand (had issues with their cd players as well).

so, from this thread alone adcom, bel canto, harmon kardon, marantz, modwright, sonic frontiers and Yamaha have all experienced gummed up rotary encoders.

from personal experience i'll toss in denon as well. oh, and the stock radio in my vehicle too when it got cold.

should these be classified in your "garbage quality department" as well?

Nope, just Cambridge. Sorry to hurt your feelings, dinkythecat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 pm 

dmitchell wrote:
MikeChurchward wrote:

Man, you could have a lot of fun with that.

+1, you gonna do it? :lol:

I hate to say it, but I bought a new Cambridge Integrated from dealer about a decade back, had them instal the phono board. Brought it home, lit up but did not produce sound. Took it back to the dealer, it worked, big smirk from the dealer. Brought it home, did not produce sound. Took it back to the dealer again (downtown Toronto), watched them hook it up again, did not work. Gave me my money back and the stinkeye all the way out the door....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 pm 

Prestige wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:
Prestige wrote:
Yup, it happened to me with a cambridge 840 integrated. I turned it up a bit using the remote and it just kept on going. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cambridge has good sound but it is garbage in the quality department. Never again will I own that brand (had issues with their cd players as well).

so, from this thread alone adcom, bel canto, harmon kardon, marantz, modwright, sonic frontiers and Yamaha have all experienced gummed up rotary encoders.

from personal experience i'll toss in denon as well. oh, and the stock radio in my vehicle too when it got cold.

should these be classified in your "garbage quality department" as well?

Nope, just Cambridge. Sorry to hurt your feelings, dinkythecat.

no hurt feelers brestige. I've just never experienced any faults with the components I've owned and from the vibe of the thread it may not be only a Cambridge issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:07 pm 

Cambridge has well documented issues with volume controls and lasers failing in their cd players.

Take care stinkydinkythecat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:18 pm 
Premium User

Bad news:Typical problem with Cambridge Audio receiver's volume control. The grease the factory uses is not dielectric :roll: and can cause the control to run amok usually after a short time in service.
Good news: A tech can disassemble the control clean it out then use the correct lubricant and Bob's your uncle!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:31 pm 

Prestige wrote:
Cambridge has well documented issues with volume controls and lasers failing in their cd players.

Take care stinkydinkythecat.

now lets be serious here. do you honestly believe that the rotary encoders and optic blocks are proprietary to Cambridge and not common off the shelf parts found in numerous other makes and models?!

and is with the name calling or whatever it is your trying to do?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:39 pm 

Well, if it's in a Cambridge product then I hold that company responsible. As far as name calling, just having a little fun. Gee whiz. Seriously though, brestige was pretty weak.

Last edited by Prestige on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:40 pm 

Teo Audio wrote:
The kind of device that does such things, tends to be the analog alps digital stepper control.
It has a track divided into two, an inner and outer..and each track is offset from the other.
Since it is actually almost the same design as a standard analog volume pot, they wear out.

Really? The consumer units are mechanical? I've worked with these sorts of encoders in a lot in mechanical gear, they've all been optical, with a glass plate with an etched chrome plating on one side, in the pattern you describe, that blocks the light between an LED and a photo diode. No wear... Only the occasional LED or diode failure, but generally they last decades of 24/7 use.

Sounds like something a retrofit kit could be built to cure!

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:49 pm 

Prestige wrote:
Well, if it's in a Cambridge product then I hold that company responsible. As far as name calling, just having a little fun. Gee whiz. Seriously though, brestige was pretty weak.

as was dinkythecat. you started it...

Attachments:
C1.JPG
C1.JPG [ 79.38 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:51 pm 

You didn't think that was funny? Not even a teeny weeny bit?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:52 pm 

waxwings wrote:
Bad news:Typical problem with Cambridge Audio receiver's volume control. The grease the factory uses is not dielectric :roll: and can cause the control to run amok usually after a short time in service.
Good news: A tech can disassemble the control clean it out then use the correct lubricant and Bob's your uncle!

That was the exact same thing that my tech said to me about the volume control in my Xindak amp. Teo mentioned earlier in the thread that the problem seemed to be in Alps units more so. What brand is in the Cambridge units?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next