Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:12 pm 

I had this happen with my Bel Canto Pre1 in February 2015 when living in Calgary. After packing up my Maggie Tympani speakers I connected my Maggie Mg 12's
and was positioning them using a metal tape measure. After touching my metal stand with the tape the volume ramped up to max while I froze in complete shock.
Luckily the MG 12s do not have the true ribbon tweeters which would have been toasted.

My favorite audio dealer asked me about the circumstances and suggested the probable cause was a buildup of static electricity. He said they observed the phenomenon
with digital volume controls a couple of times. Calgary is extremely dry in the winter and I had been sliding the giant Tympani speaker boxes across the carpet- too heavy to
lift until absolutely necessary- causing lots of static electricity to build up. Metal to metal contact then ZAP!

Needless to say I am very careful now even in the slightly more humid Sask. winters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:55 pm 

Michael F wrote:
Thats just the thing you want happening when your not home with some background music playing......
Or, you may be in need of this gentleman's services: :mrgreen:

LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:19 am 

pritch wrote:
I had the same thing happen with an Adcom preamp that had a motorized volume control. It was caused by a worn down battery in the remote control. Very scary experience. I have high powered amps and sprung from my listening position just in time to catch the rotating knob before it hit centre position.

I had the same thing happen with a brand new Adcom pre from about 2007. I can't be sure, but in this case I don't think it was the batteries. It would ramp up the volume to full blast randomly, and I returned it for another that did the exact same thing. No damage to the speakers. I got a refund and left a bad review on the Adcom site that of course got erased.

I left another review on Amazon, and a couple of years later another poster commented on my review that CFL light bulbs nearby could play havoc with that particular model through the remote control receiver, and there was a fixture in the room with 3 cfl bulbs. I have no idea if that was true, but it started me on my merry go round of audio upgrades and such. So I suppose I should be thankful!

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:22 am 

I changed the batteries in all my remotes, and it has not happened since.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:32 am 

Yup, it happened to me with a cambridge 840 integrated. I turned it up a bit using the remote and it just kept on going. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cambridge has good sound but it is garbage in the quality department. Never again will I own that brand (had issues with their cd players as well).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:51 am 

Prestige wrote:
Yup, it happened to me with a cambridge 840 integrated. I turned it up a bit using the remote and it just kept on going. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cambridge has good sound but it is garbage in the quality department. Never again will I own that brand (had issues with their cd players as well).

so, from this thread alone adcom, bel canto, harmon kardon, marantz, modwright, sonic frontiers and Yamaha have all experienced gummed up rotary encoders.

from personal experience i'll toss in denon as well. oh, and the stock radio in my vehicle too when it got cold.

should these be classified in your "garbage quality department" as well?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:53 am 

a few days agoi try to change channel of my dish receiver. could not get the remote control to do it. so I told myself , the betteries most be dead. change the batteries. but still couldn t change channel or do other fonction. then wanting to drop volume on my processor, bang that one to did not work properly.could not believe the batteries could be dead at the same time, so I try to power my bluray. amazingly, that remote also would not work???
I was trying to fix a ho train locomotive, and thinking it cannot be that. so I took the loco out of the room.
bang , all the remote where OK. it happen that the magnetic field of the motor of the locomotive was preventing my remote to act properly. the first time ever. I was wondering if I was into the twilight zone or what.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 am 

Happened to me years ago with an H/K receiver. Can't remember the fix .... Can give you a heart attack.

At the time my setup was in a living room with large windows, and I wondered if I was catching stray IR codes from somewhere across the street ....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:10 am 

I blame Trump.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:10 am 

zon001 wrote:
a few days agoi try to change channel of my dish receiver. could not get the remote control to do it. so I told myself , the betteries most be dead. change the batteries. but still couldn t change channel or do other fonction. then wanting to drop volume on my processor, bang that one to did not work properly.could not believe the batteries could be dead at the same time, so I try to power my bluray. amazingly, that remote also would not work???
I was trying to fix a ho train locomotive, and thinking it cannot be that. so I took the loco out of the room.
bang , all the remote where OK. it happen that the magnetic field of the motor of the locomotive was preventing my remote to act properly. the first time ever. I was wondering if I was into the twilight zone or what.

I've dabbled with ho an n .... didn't remove my old watch when playing with em! methinks coincidence?

heck, my one sb remote has a magnet built in to stick to the radio!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:11 am 

This happened once to me this past summer with my Pioneer SC-65 receiver. I was in the back yard with the kids and turned up the volume on the outdoor speakers from the remote app on my phone. The volume then just kept going up until I was able to run inside and shut things down manually. It appeared to be a glitch with the app, or perhaps my phone having an issue at that moment. It only happened once, and no damage was done, thankfully.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Methinks self driving cars may make for some hairy news stories.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 am 

Were any of you playing Ghost In The Machine when this happened? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Prestige wrote:

so, from this thread alone adcom, bel canto, harmon kardon, marantz, modwright, sonic frontiers and Yamaha have all experienced gummed up rotary encoders.

from personal experience i'll toss in denon as well. oh, and the stock radio in my vehicle too when it got cold.

should these be classified in your "garbage quality department" as well?

In the case of the Modwright, the problem was said to be a short by DTS. The problem occurred a couple of months after I had to have some repairs done when I inadvertently gave the unit a pretty good jolt while messing in the hydro panel to change out a light fixture. There was no damage to the actual volume control or remote, and the volume control didn't move when it went to max. The thing still sounds glorious and is built like a tank. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am 

^^^ but you get my point. imo there's been a lot of unnecessary Cambridge bashing lately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next