Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anthem Arc question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:53 pm 

I want to confirm if I have this right or not. When you use ARC to set your system levels and such does it pull the rest of the speakers back to match the characteristics of the weakest link in the setup?. For example: you have a little center channel speaker and big mains and surrounds, does the system end up being pulled back so that you don't overdrive the center?. This is what I assume happens but would like to know for sure.
Ken

Post subject: Re: Anthem Arc question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:53 pm 

In my setup, ARC seems to have set the front left at 0 and then calibrated from there, usually over driving the center (when I had a smaller 2-way center, recently replaced with a 3-way).

I doubt this would be an issue. However, make sure you have a "music" setting, either 2.0 or 2.1 that bypasses the center and other factors you don't want.

I have never found ARC to be useful for 2.0 listening, I just run it straight and simple. 2.1 and 4.1/5.1 listening is benefited with ARC. My front left and right measure virtually flat as-is; not so the center and surrounds.

ARC helps to integrate the sub for 2.1. There are lots of settings you can play with in the ARC software to get it sounding how you want it. I have the inputs "BDP/CD/TV/SAT" set up as follows:

BDP (BDP) Runs 5.1 with ARC, a little more bass, and Dolby Volume (DV) ON by default.
CD (ARC 5.1) is for surround music listening, optical input, ARC on, DV off.
TV (ARC 2.1) is for stereo music listening with ARC and sub on, but center/surrounds defeated.
SAT (2.0) is for straight stereo listening, no ARC, no sub, no center or surrounds, on the "music" setting.

SAT sounds the best for music; unless I want more bass, then I select "TV". I rarely use the 5.1 music setting.

My system is comprised of Paradigm Studio 100, Studio 570 center, ADP surrounds, Seismic sub, Anthem MRX500 receiver and Anthem MCA-3 power amp driving front three channels; Oppo BDP-103.

Edit: I should have mentioned that all "inputs" are using the same optical input, just the processing differs.

Last edited by L-Man on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:21 pm 

Thanks L-Man, I use mine for movies, TV and concert Blu-rays. My serious music listening is done with my 2 channel system.

At the moment my surround system has been built with spare stuff plus an Anthem 310 I bought on sale.

Fronts are Bryston Mini T's
Rears are Energy RC70's
Centre is temporary while I decide what to buy. ( PSB Alpha )
Sub is a HSU STF-3
The Anthem powers the Center and Rc70's and I have a NAD on the way to power the Mini T's.
I'm thinking of buying one of the assorted Bryston Centre Channel speakers but am not sure which one yet. I'm limited in space so I have been thinking about their smallest A series but am worried it would limit the system too much. I may have to go with either the mid sized A series or the smaller T series either of which has a much higher power handling capability and would be seen as a large speaker by ARC.
Trying to decide which is the reason for the ARC question I asked. The smaller T series is the natural match for the Mini T's but it is quite large and weighs about 55 pounds. The midsized A series is still heavy at 48 pounds but at 30 inchs wide by 13 deep would be easier to squeeze in where I have to put it. Decisions Decisions. :)

Ken.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:37 pm 
Premium User

Ken, you could also have a look at the Axiom VP-150 or VP-160, built in the same plant as the Brystons, a bit smaller, lighter and less expensive instead of going to the A serties.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:18 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Ken, you could also have a look at the Axiom VP-150 or VP-160, built in the same plant as the Brystons, a bit smaller, lighter and less expensive instead of going to the A serties.

Thanks Obi,
I will look those up, I don't know why it is but I seem to have a mental block when it comes to spending money on centres and yes I know how important they are to the overall result but it still bugs me how much they cost. I think it's because I always feel like I'm only getting half of the set. :)
Ken.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 am 

KJT1 wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Thanks Obi,
I will look those up, I don't know why it is but I seem to have a mental block when it comes to spending money on centres and yes I know how important they are to the overall result but it still bugs me how much they cost. I think it's because I always feel like I'm only getting half of the set. :)
Ken.

Same plant or not the sound is not even close.

I had the Minis and the VP-150 for s brief period.

Th VP-150 is no where close to the minis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:45 am 
Premium User

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Thanks Obi,
Ken.

Same plant or not the sound is not even close.

I had the Minis and the VP-150 for s brief period.

Th VP-150 is no where close to the minis.

It was just a thought Jared. Of course the sound is different, mostly due to the aluminum drivers in the Axioms VS wood pulp in the Brystons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:19 am 

Are you guys sure about the driver difference ?. I was just on Brystons web site and their AC-1 mini looks just like Axioms 160 and they say nothing about driver material.
Ken.

I went back and did notice two differences though. The Bryston weighs 48 pounds and is 6 ohm and the Axiom weighs 43.2 pounds and is 8 ohm. Funny that they appear identical.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:29 pm 
Premium User

KJT1 wrote:
Are you guys sure about the driver difference ?. I was just on Brystons web site and their AC-1 mini looks just like Axioms 160 and they say nothing about driver material.
Ken.

I went back and did notice two differences though. The Bryston weighs 48 pounds and is 6 ohm and the Axiom weighs 43.2 pounds and is 8 ohm. Funny that they appear identical.

The Brystons are built by Axiom to Bryston specs based on original basic Axiom designs, so they LOOK similar. Bryston specs require beefing up of the basic cabinets, driver and crossover changes as well as styling updates. The equivalent Bryston models are also much higher priced than the Axioms due to different marketing and distribution tactics. As to the driver difference, I'm pretty sure of this based on actually having looked at the AC-1 mini this spring and noting that the cones were not shiny aluminum like the 160 ones.

My thoughts on this are based the fact that the T and the A models do not have the same exact voicing anyways and that being based on the Axioms, the voicing might be similar enough to be a viable alternative in a situation using another 3rd brand of surrounds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:41 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
Ken.

The Brystons are built by Axiom to Bryston specs based on original basic Axiom designs, so they LOOK similar. Bryston specs require beefing up of the basic cabinets, driver and crossover changes as well as styling updates. The equivalent Bryston models are also much higher priced than the Axioms due to different marketing and distribution tactics. As to the driver difference, I'm pretty sure of this based on actually having looked at the AC-1 mini this spring and noting that the cones were not shiny aluminum like the 160 ones.

My thoughts on this are based the fact that the T and the A models do not have the same exact voicing anyways and that being based on the Axioms, the voicing might be similar enough to be a viable alternative in a situation using another 3rd brand of surrounds.

Thanks again Obi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:58 pm 

Finding a 3rd mini T would give you a fantastic front soundstage.