Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm 

Hi all,

I'm very new to this. I hope I can find some help here.
I got a pair of Thiel SCS4T and found the spec like below.
- recommended power 30-200 watts
- frequency response 48-20,000 Hz (±2dB)
- 4-ohm impedance — suited for high-current amplifiers
- sensitivity 87 dB

Now that I would like to hook these speakers up
but unfortunately I cannot find any receiver that fit or match the 4ohm, 200w requirement.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 pm 

Hi,
Welcome to the cite. Lots of folks with lots of experience here, so we should be able to come up with something for you. First question that comes to my mind is, do you actually need a receiver? Will you be listening to FM on your system? I ask because normally receivers don't have a reputation for being the best at reproducing music, and those speakers deserve a real, solid amp. They're good speakers and deserve quality amplification. So, will an integrated amp do? A few other questions come to mind: What sorts of devices will you be hooking into the amp? Turntable? CD player? Computer/music server? streamer? What kind of music do you most enjoy? And what is your budget? Is pre-owned ok, or do you want new?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:30 pm 

Thanks for the info.
It seems like these speakers are not mean for home theater system

To answer most of the questions.
For music, I use headphone (DT990) on a USB DAC+amp and play on computer.
I stick with flac format if possible.
usually I listen pop or some instrument music.
My budget is not high, probably something around USD$700-900.
It doesn't matter it's used or new. as long as it works :P

I'm using a 2.1 soundbar system which I'm hoping to upgrade. My original idea was using these speakers for home theater by using these speakers as main and add a few more speakers to make it something like 5.1 or 7.1 system. So I thought a receiver will do the job.

I'm open for any suggestion.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:47 pm 

Good day. As usual around here I'll suggest a course of action that you haven't asked for but maybe you'll like. What I did was buy a cheap receiver that had some pre outs on it. Specifically the Marantz NR1403. It was on sale at Best Buy because they were switching to the more current version, but I payed about $300 for it. Then I went on Canuckaudio and found a pair of mono blocks to power my very inefficient speakers. If you don't mind going a little vintage there's a pair of NAD for sale -http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649311547-2-nad-2600a-power-envelope-amps/
These are stereo amps but can be bridged into mono. It'll be a long time before you want for more power. Oh, no affiliation to the seller by the way, I picked up a pair of NAD 2700 which are VERY similar and I love them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:11 pm 

I'm not much of an expert on HT or the 5.1 type of systems, so I couldn't recommend a multi-channel amp. If you want a really nice integrated amp that has HT Direct, and would make those speakers sound really good, there's the Musical Fidelity A3.5: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... amplifier/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:01 pm 
Premium User

billylau wrote:
Thanks for the info.
It seems like these speakers are not mean for home theater system

:?: :?: :?: Unless you are willing to invest Honda Civic money at retail for your HT system with matching quality components, that would be quite the understatement indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:22 am 

Thanks a lot guys.
I will work in HT system without these speakers.
In these case, am I looking a stereo amp for these speakers?
maybe a DAC as well since I play my music from computer.
Please advise.

Thanks
B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:17 am 

These will fit your budget:

Amp:
Yamaha M40 $150: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649314569-yamaha-m40-natural-sound-stereo-power-amplifier/
- 8 ohms/6 ohms/4 ohms/2 ohms 160W/200W/280W/390W

Yamaha makes very under-stated gear with great specs. Here's a link for some background on it: http://legendaryamps.com/latest.html

DAC:
Teac UD-501 $600: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649302068-teac-ud501-dac/
- a great unit that can handle DSD files (I have one)

Benchmark DAC1 $500: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649312908-benchmark-dac1-24192-silver-dac-see-photo/
- if you don't require DSD, this is a very good unit

Of the two DACs, I'd recommend the Teac. While you might not have any DSD files to listen to at the moment, it's hard to predict what you might be listening to in 5 years?

Admittedly, there are lots of options out there for you but this gets you a very decent system within your budget.

Happy shopping!

Edit: Forgot that the Teac doesn't have a volume control so it can't be used as a preamp with the Yamaha!

I found another interesting piece of kit: a Rotel RC-1570 preamp/DAC $700: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649314734-rotel-rc1570-preamplifier-with-dac/

That, combined with the Yamaha, would make for a killer combo!

Last edited by NordicNorm on Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:33 am 

The comment above about experience hits home to me. If only I'd known then what I know now. Unfortunately, I fell in with a rogue crowd who insist that there's no point in having a HT setup that won't shake the walls and hit 10 Hz. Not to mention the absolute necessity of filling a 12' x 12' room with at least 11 speakers because, you know, you can only REALLY enjoy Gravity if you can hear the flies buzzing over your head!!!

Skip to the present and I have 2 systems on the go. My 2 channel music system, which is in more or less constant use and a 7.2 HT system that maybe gets turned on once every couple of months. If only I'd gone with HTIB and ploughed the savings into the 2-channel.

Having looked at the specs that you supply for your speakers, and no further, it appears that they are similar to my ML Theos electrostats in terms of sensitivity and power requirements, so I'll just tell you what I'm driving them with.

Computers (Mac and PC) to Cambridge Audio DACMagic+ to the pre out stage of a Cambridge Audio 540a to Bryston 4B ST, all except the computers bought used or demo. Sounds great to me. Attaching the speakers directly to the 540a doesn't detract from the quality of the sound, but I like lots of volume and it's easy to drive it into protection, so I just use it as a preamp.

The DACMagic+, by the way, will function as a digital preamp so if you can turn one of those up at a decent price, you can kill two birds with one stone.

No expertise here, by the way. Just a realization that when money is tight, it pays to think about what your requirements for the future might be. It's great to have the bright and shiny toys but being realistic about what your usage is really going to be can pay dividends.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:00 pm 

Hi billy, welcome to the club.

I think I have a recommendation for you, if I understand your situation correctly:

1) You've been listening to music on your headphones driven by your computer, and you're using a separate DAC to change the ones and zeros to music, and then to amplify it for the headphones.

2) You've bought some new Thiel (excellent brand BTW) speakers and want to play music out of your computer, convert it to music, and amplify it even bigger so it can drive speakers not headphones.

3) Your speakers are rated to 200W and they play down to about 50hz in the base area.

I'm going to assume that your off-board dac can provide input into an big amplifier. To make that happen, you basically buy a connector wire that has the 3.55mm "headphone plug" at one end, and two RCA jacks at the other. That lets you plug the big amp into the same place you now plug in headphones. For example, I always have my Dragonfly 1.2 DAC hanging out of my laptop. Sometimes my headphones are plugged into it, but sometimes my receiver is.

So what you need is an amp that puts out in the 50-70 watt area. The speakers say they can handle 200 watts, but the reality is that unless you're having a party in a cornfield, you won't need that much power. Extra wattage brings you control not just volume, so it's always good to have, but a 50watt amp means if you play at 20watts most of the time you'll have "headroom" for loud passages. You asked for a receiver, which is just an amplifier that has a built in radio tuner. Do you neeeeed a radio tuner? Well you asked for it, and sometimes it's nice to be able to just turn on the box and listen to cbc or whatever.

So here's what I'd suggest:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... h-rds-new/

It's basically new in the box. The brand name is well regarded. I have similar equipment from the same manufacturer sold under a less-expensive brand name, and I can tell you that when it says 80 watts, it's not wishful thinking. Even better, it can go to 140watts for 4 ohms, which is what your speakers are looking for. I think our equipment is very similar on the inside. Google "Sheng-ya as90" for pictures. You'll see the backs of these two machines are identical. Attached is a pic of me holding my remote control in front of the remote in the ad. Pretty darn close. My receiver is "Class A" for the first 10 watts, which means at low volumes it sounds especially great. Think of it as a really good integrated amp that came with a radio tuner for free.

But here's the best part: It's got bass and treble controls. Your speakers are designed for music, and that 50hz bass range is good, but it will sound a little thin in the lowest notes (like pipe organ or electronica). Depending on your listening habits, you might decide to add a subwoofer, but in the meantime, you'll appreciate being able to "turn up" the bass, or in general shape the sound to our preferences. Long-time, high-budget audiophiles sometimes frown on tone controls, but if you're just starting out, you'll welcome those two extra knobs.

Finally, I think it's like an hour from your house. You can go and audition it, haggle, heck you can even take your speakers and DAC with you and try it out with your own actual equipment. 8)

Good luck!

Attachments:
My remote control.JPG
My remote control.JPG [ 387.78 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2