Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:59 pm 

So i got my hands on a used showroom arcam avr 300 , i realise its a bit dated but it works beautifully with my setup. The only problem i am facing (so far) is that the ir reciever doesnt work. At first i though it was the remote so i got my hands on a couple of new remotes (CR 80, CR 515 , CR 100 also a CR 415) non worked at all , i guess the next step would be to bypass the frontal ir receiver and buy an inputed ir receiver plugged in to the rear. But before i do that does any body have any tips , im also worried that a rear input may not work either... Gratefully the volume knob works :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:15 am 

Google the many posts about the ARCAM 2XX and 3XX line AVR crapouts, especially the post from the ARCAM service tech posted on Audiogon .... In his experiences, there is a likely ultimate out-of-warranty 100 percent failure rate in these series AVRs with one or all of defective motherboards, crap solder, bulging and failing caps, digital HDMI failures a la ONKYO AVRs killing digital inputs (soldered into the MB) , overheating leading to sequential catastrophic ultimate failure and leave you with qan expensive boat anchor result.

They are not alone, most of the unibox AVRs... particularly the made-in-China crap build kit.... will eventually fail. ONKYO is arguably the worst with its legendary published and ONKYO self-admitted failures in their defective HDMI and MBs ( buzzilion posts here in CAM and AGON etc).

I had the very top of the line CAMBRIDGE AVR with sudden with no prior warning catastrophic MB and HDMI port failures TWICE within its 3-year warranty period. I dumped it PDQ after the last one and went to 7.1 system separates.

ARCAM moved its very top-end $6000+ FMJ line AVR unit production out of China back to the UK after it too started to fail egregiously with soaring warranty claims.

Many AVRS are buggy regrettably at a minimum, and your out-of-pocket repair costs out of warranty may easily(likely?) exceed its FMV .... Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:38 am 

Hello
The IR input goes to a different pin on the controller from the 3.5mm IR zone inputs on the rear. It sounds like it is probably just the IR receiver module that has failed. I have had that happen to several pre/pro's and receivers over the years.
Good luck, J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:28 pm 

OP, can't you return it or have them fix it before taking it home?

It should work completely before forking over the money, IMHO.