Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:04 am 

I think I'm settling on a Marantz NR1506 and a Hegel H300 for the fronts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:21 am 

Even purchasing the Hegel used, that's a big jump in budget. I think that is most likely s necessary step to be truly satisfied with the performance.

Get after it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:26 am 

good sound wrote:
Even purchasing the Hegel used, that's a big jump in budget. I think that is most likely s necessary step to be truly satisfied with the performance.

Get after it!

It is a very large jump but you guys have convinced me this is what I need to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:08 am 

:) Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:27 am 

Serenity_now wrote:
:) Enjoy.

I will :) Hegel H300 has been paid for and it will arrive next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:01 am 

Receivers are for home theatre not music. Get an integrated amp with HT Bypass and a receiver with pre outs. I do this with a Yamaha receiver and a Cary CAI-1 Integrated. The L and R channels of my receiver have never output a single watt, it is solely used as a processor, video switcher and 3 channel amp for my centre and surrounds and sub output. I actually use it for my subwoofer with my integrated output to the sub in on the receiver as well for 2 channel giving some basic subwoofer management and remote volume control of my sub. No need to spend a ton of money on a receiver but usually only the higher ups have pre outs.

My receiver is a Yamaha, I forget the model right now, it's about 6 years old and listed at $999 when new, I paid half that when it was discontinued new. I also have a Yamaha at my cottage that I do play music through in many a drunken state, both work flawlessly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:40 pm 

mchase66 wrote:
Receivers are for home theatre not music. Get an integrated amp with HT Bypass and a receiver with pre outs. I do this with a Yamaha receiver and a Cary CAI-1 Integrated. The L and R channels of my receiver have never output a single watt, it is solely used as a processor, video switcher and 3 channel amp for my centre and surrounds and sub output. I actually use it for my subwoofer with my integrated output to the sub in on the receiver as well for 2 channel giving some basic subwoofer management and remote volume control of my sub. No need to spend a ton of money on a receiver but usually only the higher ups have pre outs.

My receiver is a Yamaha, I forget the model right now, it's about 6 years old and listed at $999 when new, I paid half that when it was discontinued new. I also have a Yamaha at my cottage that I do play music through in many a drunken state, both work flawlessly.

That's exactly what I'm going to do with the Hegel H300 for my fronts. It sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:17 am 

I had the H300 on HT bypass from an Integra Pre/Pro with a Wyred4Sound 5x500 multichannel amp picking up all the other channels and it was an excellent setup for bot HT and two channel, no compromises there ... Loved that Hegel
I switched out the Hegel for a GamuT Di150le integrated and now I have a top flight HT and 2ch...

Don't let anyone tell you running a two usage system is a comprises it's just not... I suppose if your amplifiers had huge gain differences it could be an issue but remember the Hegel is now doing all of your heavy lifting and now the reciever is not working hard at all...

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:32 am 

ADCO wrote:
I had the H300 on HT bypass from an Integra Pre/Pro with a Wyred4Sound 5x500 multichannel amp picking up all the other channels and it was an excellent setup for bot HT and two channel, no compromises there ... Loved that Hegel
I switched out the Hegel for a GamuT Di150le integrated and now I have a top flight HT and 2ch...

Don't let anyone tell you running a two usage system is a comprises it's just not... I suppose if your amplifiers had huge gain differences it could be an issue but remember the Hegel is now doing all of your heavy lifting and now the reciever is not working hard at all...

Enjoy

What I really like about using a receiver or a integrated for a preamp. You get a bigger VA feeding the Pre functions of the receiver only. I like overkill in VA including in the preamp. A lot of better bass can be contributed to this and not just the amp.