Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:15 am 

I am looking for a receiver that will work well in a 2.1 or 3.1 setup. 2 channel sources would be Rega RP6 and Lehmann phono preamp and a Bluesound Node 2 for Tidal (which may be upgraded to an Auralic Altair).
HDMI sources would be a Bluray player used rarely for concert dvds and a Rogers cable box and these may eventually be 4K sources. I'll be getting a Samsung 4K tv and speakers for all this will be Amphion Argon 3 fronts and Argon 5C centre with an Elac sub.

I was looking seriously at a NAD T758 until I realized there may be an issue with HDMI and lack of the new standards for 4K on the NAD.

Can someone recommend something under $1500 that will give me a good two channel performance and work with the eventual 4K cable box? I am pretty much a two channel guy but I find a centre channel is a must for movies. I may eventually add rear speakers but I honestly doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:32 am 

I'd take a look at the Yamaha Aventage receivers. Mine is the base model from a couple of years ago (RX-A730) and is best avoided, lacking pre-outs. Further up the range, pre-outs appear and so do a vast array of other features.

The 860 is the latest model, with support for the latest HDMI and 4K standards. There are more expensive models up to the 11 channel 3060, but since you don't want surround, you're hardly likely to want ceiling speakers for Atmos and DTS:X.

The on-screen menu system is a breeze to navigate and Yamaha's room EQ system is as simple as plugging in the supplied mike, hitting the button and waiting 5 minutes.

Yamaha supposedly has an advantage over the other manufacturers in that their products are generally more reliable. My experience is limited to 2 years with the 730 and bears that out. Not much of a sample group, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:19 am 

Sad fact but most AV receivers are junk. Poorly made, impossible to fix and guaranteed to break. I've tried Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer and everyone of them has had problems, some the same problems several times over.
I have (fingers crossed) had some luck with Marantz.
It was the most basic of the lot, 5.1 with very few bells and whistles, a simple understandable remote. It's by a country mile the best I've owned.
I know this is not exactly helping out the OP but I'd really rethink spending big bucks on any AV receiver. Buy a nice little Marantz or a used one and enjoy the 5.1 for movies.
As far as audio performance goes it's a non starter. AV receivers do whiz bang effects quite nicely, their audio performance is generally sub par. At best they're good for background music.
Think of music and AV as two completely separate things.
For $1,500 you can have a nice little 5.1 system AND a kick a$$ music system and the two need never meet unless you want the speakers to do double duty.
If you do go the AV route I'd offer a couple suggestions. Make sure you put the receiver on a good surge protector like a Panamax, APC or better. The micro processors in them are very sensitive.
Buy a locking HDMI cable. I don't believe in spending big bucks on HDMI cabling but a few buck extra on a locking cable is money well spent.
I had one fall out of TV and for whatever reason it fried the HDMI board. I got it fixed and be damned if it didn't happen again.
The cable was flopping around on both the TV and the receiver. I bought a locking cable for about $15.00, problem solved.
Sorry to be so negative but as I said, AV receivers are a headache waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:45 am 

Kevin: Thanks, I definitely want reliability. Yamaha might be a good choice.

Mahatma: I will definitely have a Furman surge protector. I have a cheap old Onkyo 5.1 receiver and never had any issues with it. But that is going to be used for the bedroom TV. And I do already have a good analog system for my den. This AV system is more or less forced upon me with the nature of modern televisions and cable boxes - everything is HDMI or optical.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:56 am 

I would recommend Marantz for a/v - that being said no A/v receiver will be worthy of an rp6 - not for 1500 anyway. Maybe stick with 2.0 channels and an a/v with a pre-out for the best of both worlds? You'll get browny points from the wife for decluttering - 3+ boxes gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:06 am 

hollinger wrote:
I would recommend Marantz for a/v - that being said no A/v receiver will be worthy of an rp6 - not for 1500 anyway. Maybe stick with 2.0 channels and an a/v with a pre-out for the best of both worlds? You'll get browny points from the wife for decluttering - 3+ boxes gone.

No wife to worry about but I do want it to look good. I'm not clear on your suggestion. Do you mean get an A/V preamp and a 2 channel power amp?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:45 am 

If you could stretch the budget a little bit I would suggest the Anthem MRX series, the 520 in particular for your situation and budget. I just finished helping a friend of mine purchase and install a MRX 510, the previous generation Anthem series, and to say I am impressed with the performance is an understatement. In my friends system this replaced a nine year old middle top tier Marantz and there is no contest, the Anthem is considerably better than the Marantz sound quality wise. The 520 lists for just under $1,700 I think, plus taxes of course. These are basically no frills receivers where the emphasis has been put on build and sound quality. They also contain ARC (Anthem Room Correction) which is one of the best, most effective and most transparent room equalization programs available today. Also I personally love the brushed finish and minimal front panel button count of the Anthem receivers. They look like hi-end two channel gear, uncluttered on the front.

Previous generation ones do come up used occassionaly on this site for very attractive prices.

I know you are a little ways away, but there is a dealer in my area, Gibby's Electronic Supermarket, an authorized Anthem dealer, who still has a couple of open box demo's of the previous "10" series MRX left at significant savings. They ship anywhere in Canada.

I was so impressed I am seriously considering replacing my aging but beloved Lexicon RV-8 with a MRX720. No, not even the Anthem, or the Lexicon for that matter, will match two channel equipment in the same price range, when re-producing two channel sound, but they are considerably better than the current competition in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:06 am 

good sound: I have purchased from Gibby's in the past. I will check their website for the Anthem receivers.

Just checked and the 310 is $1499 and is 5.1 and probably all I could want.

Turns out there is a local dealer that sells the MRX 520 but it would be a special order. Another piece of gear to buy without listening to first. Although, I've had good luck doing just that many times.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:13 am 

i purchased my MRX510 last December off the anthem ebay store, refurb with one year warranty, so far it is brilliant.

right now they have the 310 refurb on for $1050 Cdn

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Anthem-MRX-310-F ... 2090226087

Oppo 105

2 Channel
Anthem I225
Rega RP6/Dyna 10x5/Schiit Mani
Oppo 105
Vandersteen 2C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:18 am 

bcugk wrote:
i purchased my MRX510 last December off the anthem ebay store, refurb with one year warranty, so far it is brilliant.

right now they have the 310 refurb on for $1050 Cdn

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Anthem-MRX-310-F ... 2090226087

Thanks for the tip on the ebay store. They do have a 310 which would save me some $. Something to consider.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:25 am 

operafan wrote:
hollinger wrote:

No wife to worry about but I do want it to look good. I'm not clear on your suggestion. Do you mean get an A/V preamp and a 2 channel power amp?

I think you can get a very basic avr (full function, not just preamp) with pre-outs for audio around the $500 mark. You would send the signal into an integrated amp with a zero gain setting. The phono could bypass the whole ht setup this way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:45 am 

hollinger wrote:
operafan wrote:
hollinger wrote:

I think you can get a very basic avr (full function, not just preamp) with pre-outs for audio around the $500 mark. You would send the signal into an integrated amp with a zero gain setting. The phono could bypass the whole ht setup this way.

That makes sense. But I don't understand the "3+ boxes gone".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:14 am 

I have the NAD T-765 receiver and I would agree it doesn't do HDMI well. However, I was able to get around with its weakness by connecting the HDMI cable from the bluray player directly into the projector for video and connect the coaxial cable from the bluray player directly to NAD T-765 receiver for sound. BTW, the newer model such as the NAD T-777 has addressed this issue.

Although, they're expensive, but for what it's worth NAD is one of the best sounding receiver out there for the money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:23 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

tube54 wrote:
I have the NAD T-765 receiver and I would agree it doesn't do HDMI well. However, I was able to get around with its weakness by connecting the HDMI cable from the bluray player directly into the projector for video and connect the coaxial cable from the bluray player directly to NAD T-765 receiver for sound. BTW, the newer model such as the NAD T-777 has addressed this issue.

Although, they're expensive, but for what it's worth NAD is one of the best sounding receiver out there for the money.

The only problem with that setup is coax wont carry the newest audio formats. Only hdmi.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

There is not an avr out there anywhere near your budget that will do an RP6 justice in my opinion.

My advice would be to buy a cheap AVR with all the features you need that has front channel preouts.

Then grab a nice integrated amp that has HT bypass to run all your 2 channel audio through.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk