Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:58 pm 

Here's a way to get thousands of static free stations: get a $ 2.99 "Y" interconnect, download TuneIn on your cell phone or iPad, then use an available input on the back of your receiver. Better yet use a digital docking station and a small Dac and your'e all set ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:20 pm 
Premium User

Circular Vibes wrote:
I am surprised that no one suggested hooking up to your cable feed. Fergus does have cable service. Unless you are on an antenna for your television as well.

My understanding of radio over cable is that it feeds the radio stations to your TV converter as TV audio channels; in my case channels 500 to 599 (at least this was what the cable installation guy told me when I asked to plug my tuner to the cable feed), but other cable provider may do things differently. Please tell me how yours works.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:41 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Cheaper alternative. Get one of those flat TV/FM outdoor antenaes (with wings) that people buy for the top of their RVs. They are sold at surplus and discount havens, tops 50 bucks. Mount it on your chimney or roof, but get it up there. Run cable TV type coax down the walls and into the house by the reciever, and slip it in a window or drill a wall hole and seal with silicon. Attach a 75 to 300ohm transformer (2 bucks) to the end of the cable coax and screw the ohm 300 end into your receiver. Point the antenna at Toronto. Enjoy!

Cheers,
David Neice

This guy nailed it. If you buy a Magnum whip antenna, it'll just be somewhat better, either way get it up in the air.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:37 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
Circular Vibes wrote:
I am surprised that no one suggested hooking up to your cable feed. Fergus does have cable service. Unless you are on an antenna for your television as well.

My understanding of radio over cable is that it feeds the radio stations to your TV converter as TV audio channels; in my case channels 500 to 599 (at least this was what the cable installation guy told me when I asked to plug my tuner to the cable feed), but other cable provider may do things differently. Please tell me how yours works.

I had mine set up before cable boxes. If I recall correctly I split the cable and used one of these devices to the fm antenna connectors on my receiver.
Attachment:
balum_antena_tv.jpg [10.67 KiB]
Downloaded 18 times

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:42 am 

mpublicover wrote:
With most radio stations now streaming over the internet now, would they be sending different signals through FM and over the internet?
I haven't had what would be considered a 'good' tuner in decades however with the Arcam receiver I had I few years ago I tested the FM against streaming quality without any revealing differences in my setup. Some streams that I have connected to just suck in quality, sometimes as low as 32 or 64kbps, but many also stream at 256 or 320 and sound quite good. Not for the dedicated listing on a reference system but then is FM?

I am mostly a "rock guy". When I used to listen to rock FM stations more, which was quite a while ago now, their broadcast quality was good enough that you could easily tell when they were playing LPs, or CDs, or MP3s. Just about everything they play now is off a PC (even if there are real people there actually doing anything meaningful). So what I'm saying is, the streaming and what you hear from the tuner may sound almost the same, they may just be playing relatively high bitrate MP3s or similar at the radio station.

As for the typical low-bitrate AM streams, like I listen to for an out-of-town ball game or such, they sound pretty awful to me. Even the so-called "HD radio" streams (via FM) sound pretty bad IMO, not as good as via the AM tuners, but I guess in a car reception can sometimes be better than direct AM for some locations.

These things don't apply for the FM stations the OP mentioned. Whenever I am doing tuner mods, Jazz FM is my "reference" station at my location. It sounds considerably better than anything else I can get, very natural without a lot of obscuring processing. It's rather nice to still hear that these days, even though I'm not a "jazz guy". Some of the CBC stations are very good too. There is one indie rock station that also doesn't sound too bad either, most of the other "rock" ones sound like compressed ass (at the music source and the broadcast ends).

It's like everything else in this game: if the music source sounds bad, you can't expect good SQ. Generally speaking we want to access the music in a way that gives us the best SQ possible i.e. not let the gear/method we use to access make it worse. Sometimes I choose convenience/ease if it doesn't do too much damage i.e. stream. Sometimes streaming is the only way to get a source, and it's better that than no access at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:12 pm 

"Radio? Who needs the radio? Ready Harry?"

With an antenna of any sort you'll be limited to it's range. For unlimited stations, an app service like TuneIn (mentioned before) will allow you to instantly access most any radio station from around the world. Yes, you can still get CBC 1 and 2.

We will put Q103 Maui on Saturday mornings to help us unwind from the week.

Last edited by kwadzilla on Tue May 31, 2016 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:53 pm 

On topic: if the antenna is not grounded, and the receiver is not grounded, does lightning attract to it?

And, if you ground to antenna, what do you ground it to? That was, kind of, my question in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:42 pm 

An outdoor antenna mounted on the roof, the safest practice is to ground it
outside of the house the same as you would if on its own tower. The cable itself
should for best practice also be fed first into a surge protector.
From anyone I have spoken to , most equipment is lost because while so
much effort is made to protect at the AC plug with surge devices and
folks even unplugging during a storm but more often than not do nothing
to the most exposed and vulnerable route that ties TV and audio on one path
all at once. Coaxial cable from the street, or the lightning rod on the roof.

Its not a matter of chances are like never knowing a lottery winner, its insurance,
its for if , not when. Oddly when you don't have it, that is when you find out
you would need it. If you had a Panamax just for example with 50,000 in replacement
guarantee of equipment and had a strike, they won't pay when the mov's in the
coaxial circuit are untouched by surge and you have a, antenna , satellite dish
or cable TV running into anything in that system. I had a friend who thought
it was unnecessary, till he was making payments on an unusable system for
months after. 6 or 7 ft. of rebar and inexpensive surge protection on the coaxial
between the antenna, and anything it gets connected to is about the
cheapest insurance you can get, and it stops the easiest and usually most
common path to your electronics usually neglected.

Roy Sullivan, never won a lottery either , but he was struck by lightning 7 times,
and none of them fatal. He found a cure for that though and it was fatal at 71.........

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:05 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
So, you're (not your) saying, "go find a 6' piece of rebar and pound that into the ground" and ground your radio antennas to that and not just ground it to the water main, like a, oh, a hundred percent of houses are grounded to, and that's going to save your (not you're) $100 receiver, because, lightning never jumps from a ground wire to other conductors around? Because lightning is totally predictable and goes straight to the ground?

[Off-topic comments removed by Mod.]

I am saying that 7 ft of rebar will give a direct path to ground from the
lightning rod that you +1'd without even mentioning it or any caution.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:27 am 

Circular Vibes wrote:

I will try this....never even thought of it.
Thanx for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:43 am 

joe mandel wrote:
alexander_x wrote:
I am about 100 km from Toronto and find that my home and office receivers have a hard time pulling CBC (99.1 & 90.7) and Jazz FM from TO.
Any tricks I can use to get better signal?
Frustrating because I have zero issues getting any of the stations in my car.
One receiver is a Techniques SA-300 and the other is a SA-225.

Hi Alexander, I noticed the station numbers you're using and have a question for you. CBC 2 on 90.7, is the same that I use in the Cambridge area but CBC 1 is on 89.1 in my area. Have you tried tuning to a more local CBC better suited to your area? Also, my tuner, although quaint, just collects dust because I stream the world with a tablet and a dac. I have nothing against tuners and don't want to start a "this vs. that," thing, but if you did stream your stations, 100 kilometres or 10,000, no problem with reception. Good luck in any case.

Thanks for the tip Joe....enjoying CBC at work as we type. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:43 am 

Recommended grounding scheme:

Some stations are worth pulling in off the air for sound quality, others not so much. Depends on needs, bandwidths, listening modes, etc. Nothing wrong with having free music off the air, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:05 pm 

[quote="ripblade"]Recommended grounding scheme:

and to add some info....

"Good lightning protection is solid, straightforward science. A lightning protection system performs a simple but crucial task. Lightning contains millions of volts of electricity. When lightning strikes your building, your lightning protection system provides a specified, highly-efficient path on which the millions of volts of electricity can travel safely to the ground.

On a building without lightning protection, those same millions of volts of electricity still have to get to the ground. Lightning will use your electrical wiring, your telephone or cable wiring, structural elements of your building, or anything else it can find as a “path to ground”. None of these building elements is designed to safely carry this amount of electricity. The result is a build-up of resistance, which leads to fire and explosive damage to your building.

Your lightning protection system gives the lightning exactly what it needs – an easy and efficient path to ground. The result is usually no damage to your building. In fact, if you are not in the building when lightning strikes, you may not even know the building was struck.

The electrical ground installed by your electrician is there to protect the internal workings of the electrical system in your building. It is not at all designed to protect you from lightning damage. "

Many companies exist for this very reason, think of Skyscrapers etc. and the indication if
path to ground was relied on a water main or the internal wiring to carry a strike. Wouldn't
even last one yet alone the 100+ a year that some structures do which require a far more
technical and elaborate system of contact points, but technically the same method to
give a chosen safer path .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:02 pm 

Hi alexander_x,
I'm glad you have your problem sorted out.

There is one thing that I didn't see suggested. Have your tuner aligned. Might also help with cable, but this is going to be trial and error. So if you run into a situation where you can't use cable, or you really want off air, follow the recommendations for the magnum and good antenna, and also - have your tuner aligned.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:38 am 

The cheapest and fastest option is to try a set of Rabbit Ears for the FM antenna. RS used to sell them for $10 or try ebay.