Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:46 am 

I am about 100 km from Toronto and find that my home and office receivers have a hard time pulling CBC (99.1 & 90.7) and Jazz FM from TO.
Any tricks I can use to get better signal?
Frustrating because I have zero issues getting any of the stations in my car.
One receiver is a Techniques SA-300 and the other is a SA-225.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am 

magnum dynalab sleuth + great outdoor antenna

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:11 am 

Hi,

Cheaper alternative. Get one of those flat TV/FM outdoor antenaes (with wings) that people buy for the top of their RVs. They are sold at surplus and discount havens, tops 50 bucks. Mount it on your chimney or roof, but get it up there. Run cable TV type coax down the walls and into the house by the reciever, and slip it in a window or drill a wall hole and seal with silicon. Attach a 75 to 300ohm transformer (2 bucks) to the end of the cable coax and screw the ohm 300 end into your receiver. Point the antenna at Toronto. Enjoy!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:52 am 

What is your setup now?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:04 am 

If you have wifi, get an internet tuner or a Squeezebox player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 am 

riffer wrote:
What is your setup now?

Both receivers with the cheap generic (and there lays the problem) thin wire antennae that you tack or tape to the wall.
Was hoping that would have been enough...I was so very wrong.

-- 27 May 2016 17:19 --

riffer wrote:
What is your setup now?

Both receivers with the cheap generic (and there lays the problem) thin wire antennae that you tack or tape to the wall.
Was hoping that would have been enough...I was so very wrong.

-- 27 May 2016 17:23 --

thank you for all the input.
I am going to give Buybye88's idea (thnx) a whirl for at work where I would do 90% of my radio listening.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:06 pm 

Receivers in modern AVRs are quite poor. It's like a "throw-in", there to say they have it, it seems to me. Speaking of the Denon brand, which my last few AVRs were, they have improved the tuner sections a lot from several years ago, but still lame compared to 10+ years ago (other brands, though).

A better antenna will certainly help, especially an outdoors one. Hell, they usually don't even include a 50-cent proper FM dipole with receivers these days, just a straight piece of wire with an F-connector, from what I've seen. Must assume nobody uses the tuner except old folks, and they probably already have some other antenna in their buggy whip closet...

What I would do if you want to keep the receiver is get an external tuner, plenty of reasonable ones here. They'll certainly work and sound better than any in a receiver unless yours is pretty old. You'll still need an antenna, so may as well get that first and work from there. Seriously, if a 300-ohm indoor dipole (with balun if necessary) properly aimed doesn't do it for you at least a fair bit better, you know you'll need to go outdoors and get a bit more serious, you are what would have been called "fringe" in the old days.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:36 pm 

brf wrote:
If you have wifi, get an internet tuner or a Squeezebox player

+1
why limit yourself to just local radio when there is so much more available

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:38 pm 

cfraser wrote:
Receivers in modern AVRs are quite poor. It's like a "throw-in", there to say they have it, it seems to me. Speaking of the Denon brand, which my last few AVRs were, they have improved the tuner sections a lot from several years ago, but still lame compared to 10+ years ago (other brands, though).

A better antenna will certainly help, especially an outdoors one. Hell, they usually don't even include a 50-cent proper FM dipole with receivers these days, just a straight piece of wire with an F-connector, from what I've seen. Must assume nobody uses the tuner except old folks, and they probably already have some other antenna in their buggy whip closet...

What I would do if you want to keep the receiver is get an external tuner, plenty of reasonable ones here. They'll certainly work and sound better than any in a receiver unless yours is pretty old. You'll still need an antenna, so may as well get that first and work from there. Seriously, if a 300-ohm indoor dipole (with balun if necessary) properly aimed doesn't do it for you at least a fair bit better, you know you'll need to go outdoors and get a bit more serious, you are what would have been called "fringe" in the old days.

The receiver in question is a vintage one with a very good tuner.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:41 pm 

alexander_x wrote:
I am about 100 km from Toronto and find that my home and office receivers have a hard time pulling CBC (99.1 & 90.7) and Jazz FM from TO.
Any tricks I can use to get better signal?
Frustrating because I have zero issues getting any of the stations in my car.
One receiver is a Techniques SA-300 and the other is a SA-225.

Hi Alexander, I noticed the station numbers you're using and have a question for you. CBC 2 on 90.7, is the same that I use in the Cambridge area but CBC 1 is on 89.1 in my area. Have you tried tuning to a more local CBC better suited to your area? Also, my tuner, although quaint, just collects dust because I stream the world with a tablet and a dac. I have nothing against tuners and don't want to start a "this vs. that," thing, but if you did stream your stations, 100 kilometres or 10,000, no problem with reception. Good luck in any case.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:46 pm 

FM DX Co. 8 Element FM Yagi antenna
Attachment:
fm82.jpg
fm82.jpg [ 21.17 KiB | Viewed 3727 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:06 am 

alberchas wrote:
The receiver in question is a vintage one with a very good tuner.

[Sorry, somehow I missed the model nos. even though I looked for them...]

In that case, you need the same solution as always: a good directional outdoor antenna, like the one pictured above e.g.

As for streaming, that is certainly a not-bad way, but the SQ is not nearly as good as with a modest-quality tuner...plus a good antenna! However, with some stations, if you put their low-bitrate audio through a *good* DAC, some DACs provide pretty tolerable SQ. I mean good enough that I'll stop and listen to it, not just "background" quality. Other DACs/systems, it is below tolerable to me. Maybe you've tried it and think the same? Maybe lesser-quality is better than silence for you?

I have multiple ways to stream FM here, and the only tolerable one for me is streamer-> external DAC. Decent tuner sounds far better, I also have to go to a little bit of trouble, though less than you since I'm lots closer to the towers you want. For my main system tuner I use a Magnum-Dynalab antenna indoors, the whip one, and it is just barely good enough. I would not at all recommend it for you even outdoors, a whip isn't the optimal config in any way for fringe reception. You need something with some proper inherent gain.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 am 

With most radio stations now streaming over the internet now, would they be sending different signals through FM and over the internet?
I haven't had what would be considered a 'good' tuner in decades however with the Arcam receiver I had I few years ago I tested the FM against streaming quality without any revealing differences in my setup. Some streams that I have connected to just suck in quality, sometimes as low as 32 or 64kbps, but many also stream at 256 or 320 and sound quite good. Not for the dedicated listing on a reference system but then is FM?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:33 pm 

I am surprised that no one suggested hooking up to your cable feed. Fergus does have cable service. Unless you are on an antenna for your television as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 pm 

Circular Vibes wrote:
I am surprised that no one suggested hooking up to your cable feed. Fergus does have cable service. Unless you are on an antenna for your television as well.

I used to do this when I lived in Calgary in the late 80's. Would pick up radio stations from the US.