Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:55 pm 

I own a pair of Adam A7 self powered monitors and a Soundcraft EFX 8 mixer.
As a turntable I am using a Thorens Jubilee TD-147 with a Pro-Ject S phono preamp.
I am considering purchasing a Marantz 2230 Receiver with maybe some B&W bookshelf speakers. 
I just wondered if I would hear a noticeable difference between the two setups?? 
Would one outweigh the other soundwise or would it be a lateral move??
Has anyone had the experience of swapping between these two types of systems? ?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:24 pm 

Hi Dukerbud88,
Consider that any older receiver / amp / preamp needs a rebuild. Not a "recap" popular with many, but a real restoration. If you get a good technician, it will sound better than when it was new. It will also be extremely reliable. Marantz is probably the best make to invest in as it has better design than most others. As you go higher in the model line up, the circuitry is improved along with the power rating. I'm doing a 2325 for myself, and it is awesome. Better than my Nakamichi TA-2 receiver. Looks a lot better too.

Your choice in receivers is interesting. I would expect you to need a little more power. We used to sell Marantz 2225 and 2230, stuff in that power range to university students. They couldn't kill them. Most family people settled in the 40 ~ 65 watt range. Music lovers took the upper models, like the 2285B and all the way up to the 2500 / 2600 top performers. I would expect you to be in that 40 ~ 65 watt range. Ample power, better tone control section and much better tuners. The phono section can be improved while keeping the same schematic. You'll hear these things with your turntable.

Just because a receiver has power doesn't mean you use it. It's there for the musical peaks. If you try a properly rebuilt unit in that power range, you will understand. If you love music, it will be money well spent.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:59 pm 

I would expect the speakers to be a backward move, but perhaps a preamp instead of mixer?