Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:42 am 

I've had a Denon AVR590 for 7ish years now and it's faithfully served me well. I've only had a 5.1 system (PSB Alpha Towers and Centre, PSB ImageB1 rears, Paradigm DSP3100 v2 sub) and to be honest, I'll likely stick with this speaker setup for a bit yet. 7.1 or Atmos is tempting, but not really sure the payoff will be worth it in my room.

That said, I've been toying with the idea of upgrading a bit for mostly HT viewing, but with some music as well. Given my modest speaker setup would the Anthem MRX510 be a worthwhile upgrade or will the ROI be rather insignificant? I'm not terribly concerned over the lack of HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0 given that HDR BR 4k is truly off in the horizon. My Samsung F8500 is still happily working well so an upgrade to a 4k OLED or the like is in the cards at some point, but is largely unnecessary at this time.

I guess what I'm trying to determine is will I be pleased with the receiver upgrade or is acquiring one mostly a symptom of GAS and I'd be better off sitting tight and waiting until I'm ready to upgrade everything.

Sorry for the rambling post and thanks in advance for any advice, insults, questioning of my intelligence, whathaveyou you can provide.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 am 

Hello,

I went from a Denon AVR-1911, which i believe is one year newer than yours, to an MRX-510 a year ago.

The ARC is as good as you read.

I find the Anthem has an effortless quality and sounds great in both surround and analogue.

I'm not an audiophile so i don't know the buzz words but i found the Denon somehow "coloured" the music especially at high volumes whereas the Anthem just seems to be clearer or less muddied, if that makes any sense to anyone.

It's also cool that Anthem are a Canadian company and being a huge Rush fan well.........

Hope that helps.

Oppo 105

2 Channel
Anthem I225
Rega RP6/Dyna 10x5/Schiit Mani
Oppo 105
Vandersteen 2C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:04 am 

bcugk wrote:
Hello,
It's also cool that Anthem are a Canadian company and being a huge Rush fan well.........
Hope that helps.

Well, having seen Rush 8 times, I guess I'm sold :D

Thanks VERY much for the input. Given I just missed someone selling one about 10k from me for a decent price, I was hoping you'd say "totally not worth it". Alas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm 

starrynight wrote:
bcugk wrote:
Hello,
Hope that helps.

Well, having seen Rush 8 times, I guess I'm sold :D

Thanks VERY much for the input. Given I just missed someone selling one about 10k from me for a decent price, I was hoping you'd say "totally not worth it". Alas.

if you don't need the 7 channels or the front HDMI port the MRX-310 is very capable also?

18 times but who's counting :)

Oppo 105

2 Channel
Anthem I225
Oppo 105
Vandersteen 2C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:54 am 

bcugk wrote:
starrynight wrote:
bcugk wrote:
18 times but who's counting :)

That's impressive. I can claim to have seen them in different provinces, and different countries but 18 times is no joke.

Someone replied to my ad and I have a 510 en route. Now I have some manual reading to do :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:29 pm 

The manual is well written

Setting up the inputs is extremely versatile but a little different than most other receivers I have owned

Feel free to contact me if you have difficulties setting it up

Oppo 105

2 Channel
Anthem I225
Oppo 105
Vandersteen 2C