Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:04 pm 

Hello everyone I'm hoping you'll take a minute or two to share your technique in cleaning your gear be it state of the art or vintage particularly silver face.
Homemade cleaning solutions, cloths, polishes, brushes, your old t-shirt, grandma's secret, whatever. Let's hear it people :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:22 pm 

What are you talking about?

Amp, pre-amp, turntable, tape player, cd player, faceplate, rca jacks, optical plug? visual cleaning or electrical cleaning?

For reference, I love deoxit-it on metal plugs, such a better contact...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:37 pm 

Great thread..
Personally i like my 2 inch paintbrush for daily dusting so it doesnt turn into other problems.
For my turntable i often use an oil be it lemon or linseed with a microfiber cloth.
Outside of that i don't own any silverface gear but i will be shortly.
For that i will probably use a little vinegar and water for fingerprints.
My current speakers are mostly cloth grilles wrap around but have a piano black top. Actually made by a piano company for the speaker mfg. I use a glass cleaner on those.
Outside of that the more i keep my home clean the cleaner my gear stays.

Inside the electrical compartment is a totally different world.
Haven't required De-oxit or contact cleaner. Yet. But for the boards I use non-fiberous make-up type q-tips with 99.9% alcohol and a steady hand.lol.
When i had my tube gear i would polish the tubes with a microfiber cloth.
This helped stop them from becoming microphonic and also overheating as dust acts as an insulator when it builds up.
That pretty much somes up my cleaning regimen.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:50 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Great thread..
Personally i like my 2 inch paintbrush for daily dusting so it doesnt turn into other problems.
For my turntable i often use an oil be it lemon or linseed with a microfiber cloth.
Outside of that i don't own any silverface gear but i will be shortly.
For that i will probably use a little vinegar and water for fingerprints.
My current speakers are mostly cloth grilles wrap around but have a piano black top. Actually made by a piano company for the speaker mfg. I use a glass cleaner on those.
Outside of that the more i keep my home clean the cleaner my gear stays.

Inside the electrical compartment is a totally different world.
Haven't required De-oxit or contact cleaner. Yet. But for the boards I use non-fiberous make-up type q-tips with 99.9% alcohol and a steady hand.lol.
When i had my tube gear i would polish the tubes with a microfiber cloth.
This helped stop them from becoming microphonic and also overheating as dust acts as an insulator when it builds up.
That pretty much somes up my cleaning regimen.
Cheers

Brilliant and informative. That's the jist of it davidam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:45 am 

Howards Feed 'N Wax on any wood surfaces; speaker cabinets, receiver enclosures etc.
Excellent product (beeswax & citrus based).
Cleans, polishes and restores.

Cerwin Vega E712
Paradigm Mini Monitors
Mirage BP150 Sub

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:50 am 

I found that dust more than anything had been an issue in the room. It wasn't as noticeable to my eyes until I installed a 3 light LED fixture above my table; which then revealed just how bad it was. Bought a small air purifier for the room which has made a tremendous difference. I was going to go over it all with the Dyson yesterday but didn't have to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:58 am 

mpublicover wrote:
I found that dust more than anything had been an issue in the room. It wasn't as noticeable to my eyes until I installed a 3 light LED fixture above my table; which then revealed just how bad it was. Bought a small air purifier for the room which has made a tremendous difference. I was going to go over it all with the Dyson yesterday but didn't have to use it.

Can you share info on the air purifier you're using?

Cerwin Vega E712
Paradigm Mini Monitors
Mirage BP150 Sub

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:08 am 

I have an honeywell HEPA

very noisy but it run alone when I,m out

a great improvement for me !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:15 am 

gold01ca wrote:
mpublicover wrote:

Can you share info on the air purifier you're using?

I purchased this unit
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hon ... defc75en02
however this one was not on sale when I bought and would have grabbed this in a heartbeat at the current price. I have a few Dyson products and like them; may still go for this and move the Honeywell upstairs.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/dys ... 26df42en02

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:45 am 

I have all my components black face, you can even say, black all around!

For general overall cleaning, I'll dust them with a fluffy hand duster broom !

For details I'll use a Swiffer dry cloth. Swiffer dry cloth, is a great dust attractor, it's soft and available "non perfume" !

For the finger prints or what have you, I'll use small quantity of non diluted, "Murphy" oil soap, on a "Swiffer" dry cloth, be it on metal parts or wood parts.This offer a clean and great lasting shine, but don't use to much! Experiment, as no residue is desirable!

-- 21 Feb 2016 09:47 --

I have all my components black face, you can even say, black all around!

For general overall cleaning, I'll dust them with a fluffy hand duster broom !

For details I'll use a Swiffer dry cloth. Swiffer dry cloth, is a great dust attractor, it's soft and available "non perfume" !

For the finger prints or what have you, I'll use small quantity of non diluted, "Murphy" oil soap, on a "Swiffer" dry cloth, be it on metal parts or wood parts.This offer a clean and great lasting shine, but don't use to much! Experiment, as no residue is desirable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:16 am 

I have a beautiful 40 year old Technics SU-V8 silver and large. This unit had normal fingerprints but also some white discolouration. I tried Windex (my usual choice) to little effect. For some reason I tried a small amount of MG Chenicals NU-TROL Control Cleaner. This stuff made the face plate look better than when it came out of the box 40 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:37 am 

i use microfiber towel with staticguard for amp cd player and speaker air purifier oreck xl for rca etc dexoit with pipe cleaner and cutip

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:47 am 

I've had good luck with unscented mask up wipes from the dollar store.
Work really well of 'vintage' equipment to remove surface oils and discolouration around control knobs.
Never had a problem with any ill effects from this method. I figure if it's safe enough for your face it can't be that harsh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:07 am 

I use lighter fluid on a rag to clean the fretboards of my guitars. It is great for removing any finger greasy residue that builds up over time.
But be sure to apply a lemon oil to it right after....especially rosewood fretboards.
This might be of help in some audio application.
I also swear by goo gone for cleaning up old speakers...and again a quick follow up with lemon oils.
I have had great luck wish Dawn dishsoap for cleaning guitars and cases that have had cigarette smoke residue and smells...again...might be of help in some audio application.
I also keep a steady stash of soft bristle tooth brushes handy.
SOS pads (moistened) for metal items that may have pitting or surface corrosion.

Perhaps somebody can list things NOT to use under any circumstances....like SOS pads...?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 am 

I use one of those swiffer brushes for a quick touch up on everything. I don't have a set schedule but I try to unplug/plug everything a couple times a year.
Its been a challenge this year as the town is ripping the hell out of our street to replace sewers etc.
The dust is worse than the Sahara.
Odd thing, I tried a couple of those XLO contact cleaner wipes because they were free, they actually made things sound horrible. Very noisy until I cleaned the contacts (several times before I got it all off) with some lab grade isopropyl alcohol.
In every case I avoid all commercial cleaners. I once took most of the ink off a remote by handling it after spraying myself with deet. :oops:
I knew it was lethal on fishing poles but never thought about it as an ink remover.