Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AVR as a pre-pro ??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 am 
Premium User

hey guys, I am upgrading HT pre-amp, looking into a few but actually had some thoughts and wonder if anyone is doing the same or did and how was it ?
I am looking to get an Anthem AVM 50V processor, curious about the Anthem room correction, but at same time, would I be ok with the MRX series as a pre amp and still use my NAD M25 to power my speakers ?? or performance wise wont be same as a processor alone ?
Also anyone that has the NAD M15 HD2 ? cause I am in between this one and the Anthem AVM, I am happy with my M25 amp, but about video, there is not to many people happy with NAD. or maybe I am wrong.
thanks .
Carlos.

Post subject: Re: AVR as a pre-pro ??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 am 

Hi Carlos,

Using a receiver for a pre/pro introduces noise into the system...it is advantageous when the power is separate from the controller ...from a placement and noise point of view. The noise floor drops and you end up with more detail aka realism.

Currently I'm using a SP2 from Bryston and cannot find anything that comes close by receiver way...I tried an Integra pre/pro and I couldn't hear any advantages of the hi-res surround formats...you can find a used pre/pro for the same if not less money than an MRX700.

I use an OPPO 95 with analogue outs to Bryston 5.1 channel in...notice the difference big time for DTSHD and DD+ on blurays.

So if you end up with a pre/pro and use a good source you'll not likely go back to a receiver...also a one box solution ends up worthless or damn near...unless of course it's upgradeable. Beware though...I thought my SP2 would be upgradeable to SP3 but its not. :shock: I can get more selling it private then I can get towards a SP3. Just take it with a grain of salt tis all I'm say in'

The Anthem would be a good pick towards a killer home theatre set up IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 am 

you can use a oppo 105 into amp as the pre,I think I did see it on another forum,but not sure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm 

I would pass on the NAD. I have the T-175 pre pro and the relay clicking drives me insane. It drops audio stream quite often for a split second and then you hear "click" from the unit as it re-locks on to the signal. Trying to navigate disc menus or worse, XBOX 360 results in a non-stop parade of clicking and audio drops. This happens mostly over HDMI as the audio lock is far more stable via optical or digital coax but then you can't take advantage of the high-res audio formats. I believe that the M15 uses relays as well so the problem is likely to persist with it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm 

Quote:
hey guys, I am upgrading HT pre-amp, looking into a few but actually had some thoughts and wonder if anyone is doing the same or did and how was it ?

Be nice to know all the components you have now.

Quote:
I am looking to get an Anthem AVM 50V processor, curious about the Anthem room correction, ...

MRX features Anthem Room Correction. A lot of people use the MRX300 for AV processing

Quote:
..but at same time, would I be ok with the MRX series as a pre amp and still use my NAD M25 to power my speakers ??

You certainly will be ok

Quote:
or performance wise wont be same as a processor alone ?

Depends. Certainly if your looking for AVM50v...well, probably one of the best AV processors on the planet..than no question. Hmm..an MRX compared to some entry, to mid level processors ? ...maybe not so much

Quote:
Also anyone that has the NAD M15 HD2 ?

Understand your aesthetic approach. But shouldn't be the greatest influence on your purchase.

Quote:
I am in between this one and the Anthem AVM, I am happy with my M25 amp, but about video, there is not to many people happy with NAD. or maybe I am wrong.
thanks.

Anthem AVM50v

If you go the AVR route, definitely look at MRX. Anthem has a good reputation, quality products, excellent support.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 pm 
Premium User

sorry bout that, currently the setup is
Marantz av-7005 pre-pro
NAD M25 power amp
OPPO -95
paradigm studio 100v5
paradigm cc-690 v5
paradigm monitor 9 for surrounds
SVS pc-13 ultra subs
ps audio ac-10 cable for power amp
shunyata power cables for oppo and pre amp
audio sensibilty testament interconnects <-- recommend them to anyone !!!!
audio sensibility speaker cables.
thats what is it. im disappointed to hear about the NAD pre amps, because I think the M25 is a tank , very good power amp for the money.

-- 12 Apr 2013 00:30 --

after some readings actually the anthem it really is an amazing processor, the new Marantz av8801 sounds interesting, but I dont know if its worth it going from one marantz to another one, maybe some extra features like audyssey xt-32 but what bout sound performance ? I think they probably using same components inside so sound quality between one and the other (7005 and 8801 ) might even sound the same.
Just confused. thanks for the time and help, most likely will lean towards the Anthem AVM 50 V .
just gotta do some shopping around and get a price for the unit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:43 pm 

Yeah..that's a pretty sweet setup you have.

Plug an AVM50 into that ..and, well ..(you know)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm 

if you need the room EQ, then I have seen a lot of anthem MRX300 out there. Pairing the receiver with an emotive UPA-500 or UPA-700 amp.

personally, I didn't think I needed the room eq and got a NAD T748. $400 less that can easily go towards the amp. Personally I had a leftover 5 channel Parasound when I was more serious with home theatre (HT & 2 channel space).

LOVE the results and it's good enough for the small room and what I look for in a HT setup. it was much better compared to powering the same speakers with the built in power of the NAD. Speakers are modest Paradigm Cinema series. Adding the external amp definitely increased separation and way more oomph to the mid range.

FYI - the NAD 748 was the least expensive receiver with 7.1 outputs. Cheaper than the Denon/Marantz units I was looking at. The Pre in the NAD also was very good for what it is. definitely better than the Pioneer I had in the past.

Last edited by gsdye on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:07 pm 
Premium User

I am done. bought the Anthem AVM50v, fuNny thing is after I bought it, this morning, my friend calls me saying he needs some cash and he is selling his audio stuff, guess what, he had a NAD in his home theater!!! but after spending some hours playing around with the Anthem, I had to get one.
cant wait till plug it in.
thanks for everyone who shared their opinions.
Carlos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 pm 

If you're using the digital link between your oppo and your anthem,,you might as well sell your oppo 95 and get an oppo 93 (imho). No sense in tying up cash on the high quality dac section of the 95 unless your new unit has analogue pass through..

ps,,,selling your Marantz??

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:45 am 

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but rather than starting a new one, here goes ...

I had a good 2-channel system once (Simaudio, Totem) but sold it 8 years ago. Three years ago decided to put a budget 5.1 system together that would work OK for music as well, a Paradigm Reference and Anthem MRX receiver system (all bought on CAM, some from dealers, some private). Oppo BDP. Shortly after I added a 3-channel MCA series Anthem amplifier which was a good improvement, and the receiver powered the surrounds.

The Anthem MRX receiver is a very nice unit, especially considering the price; I doubted the separates could be much better. However, last week I found a used Anthem AVM pre/pro locally, and replaced my MRX receiver. I am (for now) missing the surround channels for movies, but the difference between the receiver and pre/pro for music is stunning.

The quality of the analogue outputs of my Oppo 103 was superior to the receiver's DACs, so I connected the analogue RCAs rather than using the receiver's processing (for music).

The digital processing of the AVM is definitely superior to the Oppo - what a beautiful, sweet, open and warm DAC and preamp for 2.0/2.1 use. I figured I would use the analogue bypass (the MRX receiver puts all analogue signals through a ADC/DAC conversion process, the AVM can run as a completely analogue gain stage) and was looking forward to this feature, and it is an improvement. But it is even better when I let the AVM handle the D/A conversion, even with the cheap optical cable I'm using.

Both the DAC and gain stage of the AVM is pristine, I am really enjoying the music played with this piece of equipment. Considering the price I paid, these (older) Anthem pre/pro units are total bargains as a DAC and preamp (mine does have HDMI switching so not the oldest generation).