Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 pm 

You know what,you may be perfectly happy with that set up,for quite some time?

I'm glad you are in no hurry to do/change anything,and keep in mind your honest opinions on your current set up mean a lot to all of us and,especially others considering what your currently enjoying,in turn helping them to find something they can enjoy,or wish to try,maybe own?

Listen to your Apple/Bluetooth,verses say some movies or concerts,and over time compare to say cd,or Vinyl if you have a TT and your receiver has Phono stage?
Form your own Listening opinions,using your own ears,feel free to share them with us,even if its a year from now,opening this thread again.I really enjoy when Canucker's follow up with their sound conclusions.

Enjoy,now what you have with friends and Family!
Give it some time.
Listen to it for a couple months,say rest of Summer,see if you still feel the same in the Fall,or if you prefer Bluetooth vs Vinyl,etc?

Most of us here are not planning on going anywhere,and there are many of us that started out with HT receivers,(or like me Big Ass Monster Receivers 1980,so well before HT,lol)...and have slowly moved to a more 'personal taste in sound',and I bet nearly every one of us has different gear/speaker preferences/different sources,so some of us favor vinyl,or like me dvd concerts,with cd second,& seasonal(Winter Vinyl,some of us mixing sources,weekly/monthly,depending on our Music mood.

I've heard some streaming through a friends Linn(I think?) streamer,sounded pretty awesome through his Frugalhorns to my ears,but my honest opinion is small single driver full range speakers don't hit the bottom and top octaves enough for my taste,but who cares,he loves it,assembled the speakers,so its just another opinion,you might hear/prefer something totally different than both of us?
Took me 20 years,I've finally embraced digital,but could care less about new formats,like Bluetooth or Streaming,so guess I'm more of a Dinosaur/Purist,d.i.y Audio Hobby,still digging Music,after all these years,and I'm pretty well done(well with speakers,anyways),I'm so enjoying it now,I prefer a no hassle,2 channel system Our current August 2018 system:

EP.4.7 Open baffle speakers,using (my preference,tweaked by the designer,passive crossovers,last version paper cone drivers,HD Power/cast frame/drivers consisting of 12 inch Mid/Coax Tweeters c/w compression drivers,15 high power woofer ea speaker & corner loaded.
Sugden AU-41 PRE-Amplifier,& matching power amplifier.
D.I.Y Dac,for dvd playback,Danish design
Panny dvd Blueray/Panny Tau tube tv.
Rotel tweaked cd player,used as transport for cd,(this will soon change).
90' Vintage Sony DDTT
vintage CEC belt drive.
Wall ceiling 1st refection panels(very important in my opinion)

Its good idea to get/form opinions,especially on gear/speakers others have owned for years,mostly because they're not salesman so will give you an honest opinion,based on their experience paired with their preferred components,which helps narrow your choices down,but Listening auditioning in own Home over some time is best,just my 2 cents,as it very subjective,mood,enhancements,etc.

Please do have some fun,chill,ask friends that don't care about audio what they think/hear/like,& you may be totally surprised by what they hear,even kids too,lastly even Our Old Dog,I remember he always walked out of the room on one system we owned(Distortion!!)!....When my kids started dancing & the Dog,was tits up snoring on the next system I knew I had the high frequencies dialed in right!,that was our back in our 2001 system:Energy Reference Connoisseur speakers/Audiolab pre-amp/Robertson 4010 power amplifier.J.A.Mitchell Gyrodek turntable)
EP Concert Kenny
Tonight's Concert.....Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm 

Hi

I have a 3400H so am quite familiar with your receiver.

I use a Pass Labs x250 amp and Wilson Watt/Puppy 7 speakers as front speakers. The amp definitely makes a huge difference vs. the receiver amp. My suggestion would be to borrow a power amp from a friend to check the difference It makes with your speakers. I like James’ suggestion if you are buying. You could always sell the amp for what you paid if you don’t like it.

I also suggest, if you haven’t tried it, to get a Tidal subscription (free for 1st month) and stream Tidal HiFi using the HEOS app to control it. Really easy to use and it sounds really good.

Feel free to im me if you have any questions. I am using my Denon receiver to run a 7.2.4 Atmos setup, and Zone 2/3 speakers, using 4 external amps in total. All controlled with iPads/iPhones. Listening to Zone 2 in the backyard as I write this, through Paradigm 470 speakers, powered by Aragon 4004Mkii amp.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:18 am 

Thanks again for the input everyone. I think I might as well give a power amplifier a try. Nothing to lose I suppose.

If I were to stretch the budget to ~$1000 or a bit higher would you guys just recommend the higher Bryston models like 3B-ST or 4B?

Thanks!

Robert wrote:
Hi

I have a 3400H so am quite familiar with your receiver.

I use a Pass Labs x250 amp and Wilson Watt/Puppy 7 speakers as front speakers. The amp definitely makes a huge difference vs. the receiver amp. My suggestion would be to borrow a power amp from a friend to check the difference It makes with your speakers. I like James’ suggestion if you are buying. You could always sell the amp for what you paid if you don’t like it.

I also suggest, if you haven’t tried it, to get a Tidal subscription (free for 1st month) and stream Tidal HiFi using the HEOS app to control it. Really easy to use and it sounds really good.

Feel free to im me if you have any questions. I am using my Denon receiver to run a 7.2.4 Atmos setup, and Zone 2/3 speakers, using 4 external amps in total. All controlled with iPads/iPhones. Listening to Zone 2 in the backyard as I write this, through Paradigm 470 speakers, powered by Aragon 4004Mkii amp.

Enjoy!