Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:40 am 

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to the world of audio electronics so please ELI5.

I have a Yamaha Rx-V475 receiver that I am trying to connect to my speakers. The Subwoofer, center, and rear speakers all work perfectly.

I have 2 Infinity Renaissance 90 left and right speakers that are powered by separate Classe Audio amplifiers. I don't believe the receiver has pre-out outputs available and that is where my hiccups are coming from. I have a Classe Ausio DR-6 preamp which I have never used before sitting around. I thought this would be the key to getting this setup going but it doesn't seem to work.

Please help....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm 

If your HT receiver does not have discrete pre-outs, you will not be able to connect them to downstream amps. Been there with a new Denon....and replaced it with a 2-year-old Anthem.

Does your Yammy have a "zone 2" capability? Some HT amps have an ability to switch a separate zone out configuration to signal strength which may allow connection to down-stream amplification.

Check your owners manual or contace Yamaha directly for more info.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:24 pm 

It may be possible to use the AV outputs.
See page 9 of the manual.

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/329091/RX-V575_V475_om_UCRABGLFH_En.pdf

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/329091/RX-V575_V475_om_UCRABGLFH_En.pdf

Regards
Ohms

That is a Tape/Record out. No volume control. DO NOT connect to an amplifier. Page 29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:41 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

That is a Tape/Record out. No volume control. DO NOT connect to an amplifier. Page 29

I should have read further... :oops:

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:43 pm 

Try using the "Audio" Jacks direct to the Classe amplifiers and skip using the Classe preamp. There are some settings to check on various pages of the manual. "HDMI" seems to be critical. I hooked up a power amp to a similar Yamaha receiver successfully, and the volume and tone controls worked.........but it is in a different town so I can not see what I did.....and we were not using the surround features or speakers. Should be doable though.
Some pages in the manual are 17, 9,26, 74.

(I stand corrected. More thorough reading describes the "Audio" jacks as inputs, not outputs!)

Last edited by dcrossle on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:50 pm 

The Yamaha RX V475 does not employ a preamplifier output therefore a separate amplifier cannot be used. Also, the Classe preamp does not have a Home Theater bypass feature so even if the Yamaha had a pre-out, the Classe preamp can not be integrated into the system.

Only choices are either use the Yamaha or use the Classe pre/power combo. The 2 cannot be incorporated.