Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:56 pm 

This feedback is about a repair. I was very pleased with the help that Lawrence provided. Lawrence at Excel Stereo recently repaired a Bel Canto SET 40 amplifier for me. He also picked up the 95 lbs unit at my residence in downtown Toronto and delivered it, and set it up, after the repairs were finished. I recommend Lawrence highly for repair work. He diagnosed the problem accurately and gave me a range of cost options for the repair - and also suggested a couple of optional upgrades for me to consider. The amp sounded marvellous when I got it back. Lawrence is did a good job and he was professional and helpful throughout. Paul Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:42 pm 

I have to say Lawrence is a very good tech, no attitude which i encounter before with other techs, no gimmick, honest and fair - every time the actual price is lower than he quote, much lower actually.

My amp weights over 100 lb... he too have no problem lifting it =)

Worth the long wait to be done...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:28 pm 

I'll pipe in here as well.

Recently, on a recommendation from a CAM member, I called Lawrence to inquire about repair and calibration of a TV-7 D/U tube tester. If anyone knows a bit about these things, their not easy, time consuming and usually expensive to repair and go through a tedious, painstaking calibration process. Deal was, take your time & do a good job. Lawrence was forthcoming with updates along the way, and I must say, both the recommendation and quality of Lawrence's work paid off with a fine working high end tube tester. My only grief is that due to the honesty of the TV-7, I found a ton of bad/questionable tubes :( .

Lawrence goes out of his way for his customer With A :) I give him my highest recommendation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:05 pm 

Terrific service from Lawrence. I had a problem with someone who sold me a defective tube amp last year. Lawrence diagnosed the problem for me gratis (leaky DC). With the help of his assessment I was able to get the reluctant seller to refund my purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:12 pm 

Another happy customer here, He made a house call and diagnosed a problem with my CD player, free of charge.

This love in is almost getting embarrassing, Lawrence must be blushing by now. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:35 pm 

mikeyc wrote:

This love in is almost getting embarrassing, Lawrence must be blushing by now. :oops:

Perhaps he is, but isn't it nice to know that he may be doing so from an embarassment of praise rather than the scorn of criticism.

See, we still can build each other up when it is justified!! CAM (and life in general) doesn't always have to be full of b1tchin' and complainin'.

Thanks for chiming in with some positives fellas. They can be just as helpful as the scammer warnings etc. when we're looking for help with this hobby!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:04 pm 

Lawrence definitely has got my vote. In this industry, it is difficult to find a down to earth person, or one without any attitude.

Lawrence is such a person, honest and down to earh. Definitely not a "marketing" or "sales oriented" type of individual. More of an engineer who doesnt know how to market himself. His technical knowledge surpasses many others I know, and he under advertise himself too often. He knows his sh*t well ! Dont be to modest !

And thank you for the "good deals" you have always given to me and to my referrals, I'm always thankful to those who are gentle with my piggy bank.

Rick

Last edited by rickmak on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm 

paultoronto wrote:
This feedback is about a repair. I was very pleased with the help that Lawrence provided. Lawrence at Excel Stereo recently repaired a Bel Canto SET 40 amplifier for me. He also picked up the 95 lbs unit at my residence in downtown Toronto and delivered it, and set it up, after the repairs were finished. I recommend Lawrence highly for repair work. He diagnosed the problem accurately and gave me a range of cost options for the repair - and also suggested a couple of optional upgrades for me to consider. The amp sounded marvellous when I got it back. Lawrence is did a good job and he was professional and helpful throughout. Paul Kelly

Lawrence repaired a total of 4 amplifiers for me. A Passlabs solid state amp, a KT88 tube amp, an SAE, and a Mark Levinson Preamp upgrade. prices were reasonable, and included pickup / drop off service. i would not hesitate to recommend Lawrence.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:22 pm 

Another positive experience with Lawrence to report :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:22 am 

and am looking for repairs to my Accuphase integrated, based solely on the praise for him that I've seen here on CAM.

Fingers crossed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:01 am 

Dont know 'em but I like 'em already.

Here's their contact info:

http://www.excelstereo.com/About_us.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:10 am 

I have to chime in hear too. I've found Lawrence excellent to deal with and vary accomodating. Not only does he do excellent repairs, but his prices on everything from tubes to catridges to Cables have been very competitive. I think if anything his only trouble in the future will be coping with demand for his services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:28 am 

Does Lawrence have an hourly rate? How much?

W4S DAC-1/Benchmark DAC-1, Shanling CD-S100/Sony BDP-S3100

Cain & Cain Abbys, Musical Paradise MP-301 v3, Acurus DIA-150, Vandersteen 2 CE Sigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 pm 

I have had 4 amplifiers repaired by Lawrence in the past year or two, and his rates has always been on a per job basis. Personally I would prefer someone who charge a fixed rate per job rather than per hour basis.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:16 am 

I only have praise for Lawrence at Excelstereo.
Got a few amps modified and the price for the work done was very reasonable, top quality! :wink: