Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:55 pm 

Gentleman, we now have the latest and greatest from the top sound effect gurus.. Who is/or will win?
It would appear that the two companies that are neck to neck are not the BIG boys like Krell, Classe, Anthem, BelCanto, etc ..but Yamaha and Marantz,,,, CX-A5100, AV8802A
Who has experienced either of these units in operation with all the ducks in a row???

DOLBY ATMOS. or DTS-X......and Yamaha or Marantz??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:24 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Atmos rules. Its the first big significant innovation in HT in a long time. Once software catches up to the hardware it will be a hit.

Damn expensive to do properly though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:44 pm 

Now why would anyone think home theatre aficionados are freaky?

30 speakers in 28 channels including Atmos

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 8.41.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 8.41.51 PM.png [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 3864 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:19 pm 

I've tried Dolby Atmos on my new Yamaha receiver by playing a new release (likely one of the only recordings using this technology currently available, although I could be wrong) by The Choir of King's College, Cambridge in the U.K. I've been a big fan of surround sound recordings for a number of years (SACD, DVD-Audio) but not necessarily of the 'latest and greatest' sound enhancements. I ordered the disc based on a review I read in Gramophone magazine and I have to say that Dolby Atmos definitely adds something to the audio reproduction experience. To quote the reviewer in Gramaphone:

"what the Atmos system brings to the sound is an entirely uncanny sense that the walls and ceiling of the room are dissolved, and replaced by the huge space of that great fan vault above you" (referring to the chapel in which the recording was made)

Of course the effect with a choral recording may be greater than for other types of music; but I, for one, look forward to other music-only releases in this new format.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:46 pm 
Premium User

I just finished building a new HT in my new/used house. I wanted Dolby Atmos, so I pre-wired for it and bought the new Yamaha CX-A5100 processor.....and added a second multli-channel amp...and pulled a lot of speaker cable around!
Set-up was easy, compared to the previous set-up, where I was using my Blu-ray player to do all the sound decoding and ran 7.1 interconnects to an older processor. Now it's it's just one hdmi cable! 8) I had no handshake problems between my 2008 Denon bdci3800 Blu-Ray player, 2006 Fujitsu plasma, 2008 Epson projector, Bell 9400 satellite receiver.
After reading all the posts from the weenies arguing on the AVSciences Forum about the auto set-ups in the Yamaha vs the Audyssey system, etc I decided to by-pass all that crap and I just did the set-up manually rather than with the microphone. I have been doing this stuff for years, and the Yamaha menus were pretty good and easy to understand.

The DTS-X software update was mentioned, but I haven't even looked lately to see if it's available yet....there may not even be Blu-Rays available with DTS-X yet. There are a lot of Dolby Atmos titles; I found a list on the Internet, and I have purchased a few. Here's a place to see a colourful list of Atmos titles: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=248132
EDIT: I just read on AVSciences that the the DTS-X Firmware upgrade for the Yamaha units became available on March 30th, so I'll have to look into that.

If you want to read all about the different Atmos processors and receivers, the AVSciences forum is a good resource.

This list mentions up-coming and recent titles also:
2015 & 2016 Dolby Atmos Movie Releases
Hands of Stone (2016)
X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27, 2016)
The Jungle Book (April 15, 2016)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25, 2016)
Monster Trucks (March 18, 2016) 
Kung Fu Panda 3 (January 29, 2016)
The Revenant (January 8, 2016)
No Letting Go (2015)
Star Wars: Episode VII—The Force Awakens (December 18, 2015)
In the Heart of the Sea (December 11, 2015)
Capture the Flag (November 30, 2015)
Deep (November 30, 2015)
The Good Dinosaur (November 25, 2015)
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay—Part 2 (November 20, 2015)
The 33 (November 13, 2015)
The Peanuts Movie (November 6, 2015)
Goosebumps (October 16, 2015)
Pan (October 9, 2015)
The Martian (October 2, 2015)
Sicario (October 2, 2015)
Roger Waters: The Wall (September 29, 2015)
Everest (September 25, 2015)
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (September 18, 2015)
The Perfect Guy (September 11, 2015)
We Are Your Friends (August 28, 2015)
American Ultra (August 21, 2015)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E (August 14, 2015)
Fantastic Four (August 7, 2015)
Mission: Impossible—Rogue Nation (July 31, 2015)
Pixels (July 24, 2015)
Ant-Man (July 17, 2015)
Minions (July 10, 2015)
The Gallows (July 10, 2015)
Terminator Genisys (July 1, 2015)
Magic Mike XXL (July 1, 2015)
Inside Out (June 19, 2015)
Traffic (June 15, 2015)
Spy (June 5, 2015)
Entourage (June 3, 2015)
San Andreas  (May 29, 2015)
Tomorrowland (May 22, 2015)
Mad Max: Fury Road (May 15, 2015)
Main Aur Charles (May 15, 2015)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1, 2015)
The Age of Adaline (April 24, 2015)
Home (March 27, 2015)
Prizrak (March 26, 2015)
Insurgent (March 20, 2015)
Skammerens Datter (The Shamer's Daughter) (March 18, 2015)
McFarland, USA (February 20, 2015)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (February 13, 2015)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:12 am 

KevinJS wrote:

Wow! Is that your Home Theatre, very impressive. 8) Dolby Atmos has the lead currently, from what I have read, DTS-X would work for anyone who is already setup for Dolby Atmos in terms of speaker layout.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:00 am 

Atmos is great *but* its in home implementation is lacking. There is no software decoder rendering it useless without having extremely high end digital cinema processors.

Ive been working on getting the Atmos software suite from Dolby so I can send it off to my friends for reversing (I think its absolutely digusting that they control the format like that, they're pathetic and sad for doing so). I have some of the encoder code but none of the decoding stuff.

What I will say is, Object based mixing is the future and depending on the implementation / plug ins used, is extremely futureproof in terms of adapting to new formats, configurations and capabilities as well as having an edge over older channel based mixing in that an 'upmix' wont actually be an 'up mix' as we start re issuing films.

So yes, the plugins for pro tools are fun but if you want to play back films in software (which you absolutely have to if you want proper chroma up conversion, thanks blu ray) its useless, bitstreaming obviously works but honestly... don't do that. Software decoders are the only way to go

-- 25 Apr 2016 17:01 --

tardis26 wrote:
KevinJS wrote:

Wow! Is that your Home Theatre, very impressive. 8) Dolby Atmos has the lead currently, from what I have read, DTS-X would work for anyone who is already setup for Dolby Atmos in terms of speaker layout.

DTS X is useless. Don't worry.

Its not something we mix in and is usually a conversion. Don't deal with it, it will disappear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:48 am 

I am prewired for 4 height immersive channels in the Dolby layout pattern. Lighting and a bulkhead forced me to elongate the layout towards the front with the 2 front heights by 2 feet. Apparently this is good for a DTS:X setup. There are many active threads on AVS about the new formats. I have been in the loop since the live press events on Home Theater Geeks. Almost 2 years ago.... Not many titles out yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:03 pm 

tardis26 wrote:
KevinJS wrote:

Wish it was. It's awesome. I have a humble man-cave stuffed full of audio gear. Not even big enough to attempt Atmos. From what I read the room has to be reasonably big to make it work.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 am 

Looks like I jumped the Gun.....Anthem has a beauty out, the AVM60, less coin than the Yammy or Marantz... and it is CANADIAN...... well, mainly.....

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:15 am 

I have a pioneer elite sc-95 running a 7.1.4 atmos system. The pioneer powers the 4 ceiling speakers and rear srrounds, a rotel rb-985 powers the 3 front and 2 side speakers. I have mad max fury road locked and loaded, just waiting for "movie night". That being said, just watching movies on the movie network upmixed with dolby surround sounds fantastic. I'll be watching something and all of a sudden I'm thinking wow, did that sound really just fly out of the tv and go right over my head, yikes. If you can do it, do it, you won't be dissappointed.