Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:11 am 
Premium User

With all the posts Ive been reading lately regarding scams , timeline threats and deals gone bad, I have to share some good news regarding
my latest transaction here on CAM. A few weeks ago I purchased a turntable from Jan (zephyr) totally sight unseen . The entire transaction was done over the phone. Since I wouldn't be able to personally check out the item, he promised me, that if for any reason, I was not happy with the table I could return it. Because of his POSITIVE feedback's we made the deal. I live near Chatham and Jan lives in Ottawa, so I had a friend of mine that drives truck deliver the cash and pick up the table . When I received the table it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Jan, true to his word agreed to take back the table and refund my money, so off it went back to Ottawa. I just want to thank Jan for his honesty and let fellow CAM members know that if you deal with him, you will not be disappointed.
Just goes to show when you deal with fellow CAM members with positive feedback's the transactions will usually be beneficial for both buyers and sellers. Now I realize that some of you have had deals go sour when dealing with persons that have positive feedback's, but in this instance it turned out great.
Thanks again Jan for your honesty.

Last edited by pabb on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:30 am 

I had a similar situation a 6 or 7 years ago on CAM. I bought a Conrad Johnson amp from a CAM member but I was a little reluctant because I had never heard the Amp and he did not have it set up when I picked it up. He told me to take it home and if I didn't like it he would take it back and return my money. Sure enough I did not like it (it was too laid back for my liking) and I returned it the next day. The seller was happy to take it back and refund me the money. I wish I could remember his user name to give him some credit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:46 am 

I had the opposite experience. I bought an NAD M15 from a user on CAM with positive feedback. It came to me but the amp reeked like urine and the unit wouldn't turn on. I opened it up and the chips were fried, corrosion on the caps and resistors and clearly you could see where someone tried to mop up the mess. I went back and forth but the user delayed and delayed saying it was the post office issue and not him. He provided a purchase chain for the M15 from other "users" on CAM. He kept dodging me for months until it was too late for me to post a buyer beware posting or report him to CAM. Out a chunk of $$$

I got scammed by another user on CAM who had good ratings as well who sold me a unit with a bad channel he said had been fixed...but wasn't.

I love CAM but don't buy anything anymore since these two negative run-ins. I'd recommend that you only buy something you can test in person and go and pick up.

Unfortunate but this is my experience even with positive ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:31 am 
Premium User

Well, thankfully your experience is the odd man out, so to speak. Most experiences are positive, but there is no substitute for doing one's homework before buying or selling, and trying to get to as 'safe' a position as possible.

In my mind, there is no returns for not liking the way something sounds, as this is not an audition house or store, and a buyer has to know what they want. A functioning item received in stated condition.....is a sale, end of discussion. IMO, there is only room for that sort of waffling and butt picking at the retail level, where the dealer is paid well enough to be able to financially function in cases of people and their facial picking episodes.

This is why the two folks who took the items back (posts one and two), really are performing above and beyond the call of duty. IMO, they should never have been asked to be in a potential return position for 'buyer not liking the sonic qualities' of a stock or original item. In the favor of both buyer and seller, these possible outcomes were spoken of and agreed upon ahead of time. Which is obviously fine and dandy, if we (or whomever) can (afford to) work on that level.

Simple suggested rules, are to buy in person for your first levels of achieving feedback..and....upon achieving feedback from reputable members who have a feedback rating, then launch into buying and selling only from known quantities.

This necessarily means that buyers and sellers with non existent buy/sell ratings have a tough time of it at first, but this is how we achieve some sort of trust building, over time. By doing the legwork.

All that being said, I never dive fully in and always hedge and monitor all transactions with all people, no matter their rating. It's not an insult to anyone, nor paranoia..... it's common sense, likened to the idea of breathing, a thing you have to constantly do every second of every day, until your inevitable myocardial infarction comes 'round for you. Treat your buys and sells the same. Trust --- but check and hedge, always. That's how an effective trust works.

Just an hour ago, I reported a for sale posting that was quickly removed, it was for a $12k+ Samsung 78" curved 4k TV from late 2015, that was somehow brand new and being sold for $1900.00. Right... Scam! But, that was an obvious one, and some are not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:50 am 
Premium User

To an extent I agree with the OP; a feedback system allows us read/interpret comments and experiences dealing with CAM members. It empowers buying/selling with strangers near & far. The reason I initially choose CAM was for it's feedback system. No-fault or negative situations which are handled correctly turn into positive enforcement for sceptical buyers (it was broken - then it was fixed to satisfaction) GOOD for everyone.

Unfortunately feedback cannot alway be trusted gospel: I have now dealt with 2 sellers whom have 100% positive feedback yet both misrepresented the condition of the equipment. Both refused to provide me a refund unless I agreed not to post feedback. Hard decision not to say something but how else was I to ensure my refund? It's unscrupulous not to provide Negative Feedback thus warning others to proceed with caution. BAD for the integrity of CAM.

GOOD to read that your purchase decision was facilitated by Jans' seller feedback which resulted in a positive experience :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:09 pm 

I guess I am old school as I believe my reputation is worth more than money. I can make more money in the relative near future but it can take years to repair a bad reputation. I have bought dozens of items through CAM and (knock on wood) have only had positive experiences. I do check seller's feedback before making any offer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 am 

RobbieR wrote:
I had a similar situation a 6 or 7 years ago on CAM. I bought a Conrad Johnson amp from a CAM member but I was a little reluctant because I had never heard the Amp and he did not have it set up when I picked it up. He told me to take it home and if I didn't like it he would take it back and return my money. Sure enough I did not like it (it was too laid back for my liking) and I returned it the next day. The seller was happy to take it back and refund me the money. I wish I could remember his user name to give him some credit.

It was CAM Member snagglepuss that sold me the CJ Amp and allowed me to return it the next day. He went above and beyond on that sale and I appreciated it. Great CAM member.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:26 am 

I've only had one bad experience. Really shoddy repair work on a preamp I bought from a dealer. The soldering was just gooped on. All the solder joints fell apart. I contacted the dealer and was greeted with gruff response on everything. Just to find out what kind of individual I was dealing with I asked about a different item. Oh then I was his best friend. But still he would not help me with the preamp. I just chalked it up that the dealer was an a**hole.