Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

Post subject: I feel bad ....
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:13 pm 

A little story of this transaction I had today.

Selling my beloved Cary CD Player, I was contacted by someone, saying he'll come pick up later on today. Solid CAM'er over a hundred +ve feedback, 100%. I left him my phone number he said he'll call me after work.

After work, someone called me, saying he's picking it up and asked for my address. But it's not the same guy, he said he's given my phone number. I was a bit confused as there're several responses and also he doesn't really speak too much english (no racist here, I'm Asian myself) and the phone line was not clear.

We texted a bit, he asked me again for my address, I became a bit skeptic. I emailed the original buyer trying to confirm, no immediate response. He'd said he'd like to audition (and I had some bad experience with people coming in audition'ing but that's a diff story).

I decided to not give him my address, proposed to me at a Timmy close to my place. I guaranteed the player working or money back. I even said he can pay me later (yeah a few hundred bucks is less important than the risk). He's good. So we met at Timmy's just now....

..... NICEST GUY IN THE WORLD !!!!! And the original guy called also by then confirming he's his friend.

I'm back home now, deal is done. A perfectly honest guy, drove all the way from west to east to meet me.

While I think I did it the right way.... I feel pretty bad not trusting....

All is good now. I love CAM and to the buyer, thank you !

Post subject: Re: I feel bad ....
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:49 pm 

chuttt wrote:

Selling my beloved Cary CD Player, I was contacted by someone, saying he'll come pick up later on today. Solid CAM'er over a hundred +ve feedback, 100%. I left him my phone number he said he'll call me after work.

After work, someone called me, saying he's picking it up and asked for my address. But it's not the same guy, he said he's given my phone number. I was a bit confused as there're several responses and also he doesn't really speak too much english (no racist here, I'm Asian myself) and the phone line was not clear.

We texted a bit, he asked me again for my address, I became a bit skeptic. I emailed the original buyer trying to confirm, no immediate response. He'd said he'd like to audition (and I had some bad experience with people coming in audition'ing but that's a diff story).

I decided to not give him my address, proposed to me at a Timmy close to my place. I guaranteed the player working or money back. I even said he can pay me later (yeah a few hundred bucks is less important than the risk). He's good. So we met at Timmy's just now....

..... NICEST GUY IN THE WORLD !!!!! And the original guy called also by then confirming he's his friend.

I'm back home now, deal is done. A perfectly honest guy, drove all the way from west to east to meet me.

Always go with your gut instinct.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:00 pm 

Don't beat yourself up ... and it really did work out well ... likely they sensed they confused you a bit and all is well. If that was the Cary with digital in, saw that, was thinking one of the few CD players that can still demand a few bucks. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:01 pm 

#2 post needs an English interpretation so we can all understand what was written.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:06 pm 

Are you sure you want to understand that? :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:08 pm 

RodMan wrote:
Are you sure you want to understand that? :D

You're right.Probably not.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:32 pm 

I'm glad everything worked out for you. I think you did the right thing. When you get that sense of unease I would trust it first.
We are lucky to have this CAM community and dealing is usually trouble free.
I just read a story today about another Craig list buyer/seller that was beaten really, really bad.

When it comes to Kijiji deals I don't even answer the phone after 9:00pm. There's always another day.....

PS. I wanted that Cary, but at the moment couldn't pull the trigger...... :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:32 pm 

I'm a bit hammered too so I totally got it.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:39 pm 

+1. Same reason.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:52 pm 

chuttt wrote:

I have a Kijiji experience to share with all of you. This ad was for a CD recorder, I called the seller, and a young man, teenager, answered the phone saying it belongs to his dad, who does not speak English well enough to talk to me, anyways, he said that I cannot audition it as they are in the middle of a move.

I said that how would I know this works perfectly, he said I can take it, WITHOUT PAYING HIM, and when I am satisfied with units working condition, only at that time I can pay him.

So I went to Markham, Ont. met this young man, got the recorder, it was not a lot of money, $300.00.

Got home, plugged it in, two hours later called the seller saying that I will meet him tomorrow with money, as after extensive listening and testing, I found the recorder 100% functioning.

Next day, went back there, paid him with a big Thank You for your trust.

He was soooo happy, said they have more items at home for sale and I could take whatever I want to try, but I declined with a smile as I did not need anything else.

Did I say that this was a Kijiji transaction?

Most recent Kijiji experience, just last week, saw an item for sale, emailed the seller, he advised that someone is coming to see it around six in the evening, and if it does not sell, he will contact me.
I had said to him in my initial email that I could come to pick this item right now, but he was gentlemen enough to stand by his words and appointment.

Same eve, around 7PM, he emailed me saying that item is purchased by the same 6PM appointment.

Some times you do run into nice people, on sites where you would not expect this kind of ethics to happen.

Cheers

-- 13 May 2015 03:54 --

b3733366 wrote:
Don't beat yourself up ... and it really did work out well ... likely they sensed they confused you a bit and all is well. If that was the Cary with digital in, saw that, was thinking one of the few CD players that can still demand a few bucks. ;)

What? Bro, you wanna try this again?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 am 

I once bought a fish (A malawi peacock to be more precise) from a guy I met on Kijiji. I went to his house, was very impressed with his stuff, bought the fish, drove home. While I was there I commented on his extremely rare and beautiful tropheus. He had 20 of them in a 90 gallon. They were stunning.

We kept in touch and as time went by we became buddies and we would trade stories back and forth.

A few months later I set another tank up- a 90 gallon, and I got in touch with him to ask him where he got those tropheus because I wanted the same ones. He told me that he had gotten them imported specially and they were not available on the market.

He paused for a second and said "You know, I was wanting to do something else with that tank anyways. You busy right now?" He brought the fish over to my house and sold them to me for $100. Those fish were worth north of $500 if they were worth a dollar. I lost touch with the guy. You can see his youtube channel though "DavidL"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:03 am 

The good thing is that it all ended up well.. I'll do the same if i was in your shoe