Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of CAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 am 
Premium User

It’s a long story, but I had to write it :)

When I was 14 yrs old only I wanted only 2 things. The first was a motorcycle and the other was a stereo. You see; growing up on an acreage 7 miles from the closest town, Stony Plain in Alberta, a motorcycle was my ticket to freedom and a stereo was passage to imagination. Like the other 5 friends in the vicinity, we played and worked hard, argued about Honda vs Yamaha, air guitar’d our favourite bands and mimicked "Animal" the Muppets drummer, life was simple and our oyster!

Two summers later I had saved enough money to pay for 1/2 of my first motorcycle; Yamaha YZ 125, dad pitched in the balance.
By the next Autumn I had enough money to buy my first stereo, a Marantz 2200 series, Dual TT, and a pair of Canton speakers, life was great.
I was the only one in our group to have purchased a 2ch stereo, little did I know it was the beginning of what I have become - NUTS for good audio gear and this hobby.

Fast forward through several iterations of audio systems, I am still like a kid in a candy store. The blue/green VU meters that I had seen in the 70’s twigged my imagination which took 3 decades to spawn - my first McIntosh Integrated, the MA6700! The pride closely assimilated that of bringing home a family pet from the farm - I LOVED IT! Keeping my priorities in line is also purchased a Harley Davidson - Road King, parked in winter. So during the summers I am a biker and winters an audio-head. Life has been good to me and I thankful everyday.

Last year I returned to AB after living in Salmon Arm, BC for 7 previous. After the relocation more audio stores where in my close proximity which resulted in the "Search for new Candy” cause that’s what we do - right? The quest resulted in many more changes including the sale of my MA6700, shortly after that I went nuts: hi-fi, mid-fi, low-fi, no-fi. It wasn’t until recently I saw a CAM ad for 2 pieces of vintage McGear when the old itch returned. Logic takes second place to reason sometimes and I proceeded on a deal which did not “feel good”, but hey I wanted those blue/green vu meters again and so I proceeded with high expectation. The quest to assemble a complete McIntosh system was on, the desire was extreme. Fortunately I recalled seeing a MPI 4 at Revival Audio earlier this year, I called Jac and he fulfilled my wish, thank you! Next returning to CAM like a coal laden locomotive I searched and found a MINT MR78, yahoo!

Anticipating the vintage setup and fulfilment of “Burning Desire” I rearranged my beautiful vintage LUMAN to make room for the new pups! First box arrive - the MC 2505 and I eagerly replace the RCA interconnects from the Luxman M4000, power on and enjoy the performance. I am satisfied and write my feedback, looking forward to the C28, thank you. Three more days pass and the C28 arrives but this time I am NOT SO HAPPY - but that’s a whole other story of grief. Next day the MR78 arrives and WOW WOW WOW, Mr. veritas6-vbl has exceeded every expectation. That night I integrate the MR 78 with the MPI 4 and MC 2505, fortunately the tuner has a variable output therefore - no pre is required. The tuning ability of MR78 is so strong it can suck the chrome off a bumper! My feedback for veritas6-vbl is limited to my grade 10 English education, I AM VERY HAPPY & HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM.

Attempting now to bury the whole C28 experience I once again turn to CAM members in search of C series preamp. Just like that JUMBO size cotton candy at the local-fair - I find a C32 in what appears to be MINT condition. Despite the advertisement stating "no shipping", I contact the seller, with a simple message “It's unfortunate I don't live closer and you are unwilling to ship. I recently purchased a C28 which, to my dismay and loss, leaves me in search of C series preamp. Cheers, Polygon”. TechnoDweeb and I exchange several email and conclude with “CHEERS”.

Hours pass while feeling like that 14 yr old kid, I look at the pictures many more time, THEN I SEE IT - The Postal Code is close to my trusted veritas6-vbl —— I immediately reignite communication and establish a phone call Techno, describe the scenario. We agree on a plan; If Veritas is willing to validate the condition then I would arrange for packing & shipping. Even though they are only 10 minutes apart Veritas does not drive, but I am prepared to pay for a taxi there and Techno agrees to drive him home.

I contact Verities with a subject line “Help” and ask for a third-party evaluation the C32. Given the exact stated condition of the tuner which i had just received - I TRUST HIM.

IF YOU HAVE SKIPPED THOUGH most of this story STOP SKIPPING AND READ THIS NOW
Veritas declines to assist with the validation & inspection only due to a family illness in Montreal and his impending departure. Turns out the proceeds from the sale of his beautiful MR78 are being used to pay for that trip to Montreal. I sincerely hope your arrival there will have a positive experience.

A few more hours pass and then I receive an email which I will NEVER FORGET
"When you Bought My mr 78 I really needed the money for trips to Montreal and you came throughout for me. So now it's my turn to help you..”

He contacts the seller which result is an email containing internal pictures followed by a 30 minute phone call with Veritas, he reveals the surprise - HE PURCHASED IT- and would like to know if I would like it packed similar to the MR78!

Seems Mr. Veritas and Mr. Techno had conspired to make this deal come through for me.
Guys I cannot drum-up of the words to express my gratitude and effort you have both provided! You make me smile.
CHEERS

Attachments:
smile-cookie-sign.jpg
smile-cookie-sign.jpg [ 14.38 KiB | Viewed 5039 times ]

Last edited by polygon on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:10 am 

Thanks for sharing a great story.

Many many CAMMER's turn out to be more than just other audio nuts, they are often excellent people.

Glad it all worked out for you!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 pm 

Now that's a nice story. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:02 pm 

Very nice story!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:17 pm 

Great story with awesome results Congrats and enjoy!!! D.R.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:32 pm 

Far too often stories are skewed to the negative, thanks for posting a positive one. There are many fine folks on CAM.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:08 pm 

How would you compare the sound between the Lux and Mac? I have been thinking of moving to Lux from denon.